Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3356 3357 [3358] 3359 3360 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9481041 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #50355 on: August 22, 2012, 12:19:22 pm »

Wait. What about game data? Is it threatened?
Luckily about half of my notes are in a paper notebook. On the other hand, I might need to re-download the fucking picture pack.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #50356 on: August 22, 2012, 02:25:00 pm »

AMAZON TOOK MORE OF MY MONEY

And now I have more things I want to buy from it.

And what's that, you say, review? Buy this grammar of Oscan and Umbrian while it still exists? For $20 I have but aren't really supposed to spend?

...now what?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 02:28:43 pm by dhokarena56 »

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50357 on: August 22, 2012, 02:33:06 pm »

Buy this grammar of Oscan and Umbrian while it still exists? For $20 I have but aren't really supposed to spend?
That's... erm... quite the temptation. I guess. :X
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50358 on: August 22, 2012, 06:05:37 pm »

Nintendo Power sending publication in December. I'm on the verge of crying. So many laughs had, so many good games I would have never played/found if not for their publication, so many memories.
I stopped buying because magazines are pretty much dead, but I might pick up the last few issues.
Rest in peace NP ;_;7.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #50359 on: August 22, 2012, 06:18:36 pm »

Nintendo Power sending publication in December. I'm on the verge of crying. So many laughs had, so many good games I would have never played/found if not for their publication, so many memories.
I stopped buying because magazines are pretty much dead, but I might pick up the last few issues.
Rest in peace NP ;_;7.
Gaming journalism in general is dead unfortunately, sad to see Nintendo Power go.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #50360 on: August 22, 2012, 06:29:59 pm »

My step-Dad bummed a single dollar from me this morning.  I'm not sure if I should even be bothered by this.

I wonder what he'll think when I come home next week with $2,600.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50361 on: August 22, 2012, 07:02:04 pm »

I missed yet another Guild Wars 2 stress test because Noon - 4pm PDT sucks when you work 9-5.  /First_World_Problems

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50362 on: August 23, 2012, 12:39:39 am »

I'm tired, and not the good tired that comes from working hard.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #50363 on: August 23, 2012, 01:18:53 am »

nintendo power :'(

now nobody will publish chris' inane rants

Well, if who you're talking about is who I think you're talking about, there's still his website :P

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50364 on: August 23, 2012, 08:09:20 am »

Hoverbikes.

Why is this in the sad thread, instead of the happy thread?
the company does not plan to market this bike for the public: it intends to develop it as a pilot-less drone.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50365 on: August 23, 2012, 08:20:57 am »

I read another article that said they intended to sell it to the military FIRST, and then market it to the public. And that makes sense really, there's no market yet in the public aside from rich fanboys, so going straight to the public is a risky venture. However, military use will help them minimize costs (as they make the building process more efficient, etc), get some money and spread hype until they decide to go public.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #50366 on: August 23, 2012, 08:38:52 am »

Wait. What about game data? Is it threatened?
Luckily about half of my notes are in a paper notebook. On the other hand, I might need to re-download the fucking picture pack.

Luckys! Are we still on for this weekend, then?
Love, scriver~

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50367 on: August 23, 2012, 09:30:39 am »

Ahem...

This is a very heartfelt and deep post. You are all warned.
Twice now, in the last month, I have felt the ramifications of another human disregarding my personal regard for insects.
You may think I am being flippant when I say this, but it strikes me deep.

The first instance is relating to a nest of wasps living outside of my home. I have all my life held a healthy respect for wasps, or what a Non-Outback Australian would call 'terror'. However, my dear grandmother, bless her beating heart, taught me to admire and protect native Australian insects, as the European occupation caused for most of them to be wiped out. She used to have a nest of bees inside a tree at her old house; tiny native black bees, which could do as much damage to you as a horsefly, if it truly struggled. I remember her showing them to me one day, through the haze of nostalgia and forgotten memories. She pointed to them, and said 'look here'. Or something like that. I remember the point. It gets a bit fuzzy from there, but I'm recalling this as best I can.
Regardless... "Look here", she said. "These bees have been here for a long time. And they'll be here for longer after we leave. But only if we protect them."
This struck me, deep within what would eventually grow to be my moral fiber. Unfortunately it only rang true for insects, so my fatherhood instincts are as destructive and non-existent as always, which makes me thankful that my biological clock hasn't started to ring. However, upon seeing these small black wasps outside my new apartment, I was struck with the immediate question. "Are these Native"?
It is obvious that if they were not native, I would have immediately destroyed them, and all they held dear. One does not fuck with paper wasps. However, after long hours of searching, google, asking family, and breaching the generation gap, I came to two realizations. 1. They were native. 2. They were aggressive as FUCK.
Everyone advised me to destroy them. However, I held back. I was always the one to park my car closest to the garden - Indeed, many times as I went past, I have brushed against or knocked the very frond which bore their nest. And so far they had not harmed me, or even been aggressive towards me.

That night, I struck a deal with my Roommate. The terms were simple. Given that the wasps were able to co-exist peacefully with us, we would not destroy them. However, if they were to sting either of us, it would be a reasonable amount of pain over a small period. If we were ever stung, we could completely exterminate their nest, which would hopefully be an experience cathartic enough to make up for the pain of the sting. Months passed, and our uneasy truce continued- Us by unspoken agreement, them by Nature vs the incalculable and ever-unknowing laws of the universe. Until the one time when my roommate's mother came to help us 'clean up the house'.
(She has the nickname 'Hurricane Alison', because she blows in and blows out, and nothing is where you remember it being, and the roof is 50 meters down the street)
In any case, she notices the wasps, and immediately causes a hubbub, not wanting anything dangerous around 'her boy'. I very calmly and succinctly explain to her about our agreement, and how the wasps have not been harmful yet. She asks if they're aggressive... I don't lie. "But", I defend furiously, "they can't be that aggressive if they've lived with us for this long without doing anything drastic". She remains unconvinced, and so I take a firm stance. "I made a deal- I gave my word. Regardless of whether or not they know, understand, or care, they have honored their side of the bargain, and so will I. And I will be quite upset if you destroy them".
Half an hour later, I went outside to find them missing. I confronted her, to have her reply that she 'moved them' into the side garden somewhere. Now, I was no fool. She would not have gone near that nest without being sure that every last one of them were dead. But, there were no dead little insect bodies on the ground, and I wasn't about to pull her over to the garden and force her to show me exactly where they were. Maybe I should have. But regardless, In effect, I was just being an overly compassionate, incredibly weird, teenager, arguing to a grown mother. There was nothing happening there.

The second instance happened just recently. I had a spider living inside the right-hand rear-view mirror of my car. Every morning when I got in the car to go to college, there would be a web over the mirror. I would clear away the mirror before leaving - have my day out, and the next morning, sure enough- there would be the web again. I thought about getting the Mortein, and just spraying away into the gap until I was sure that nothing could have survived the insecticide equivalent of a 1klb Neutron bomb - But. That was a persistent spider. Every day his crap got cleared away, and every day he build his web straight back up again. Who can know if the thought the benefits outweighed the cons, if he enjoyed the game, or if it was just a dumb spider who was attracted to the shiny mirror. I like to think it was the second option... Realistically, it was almost certainly the latter. In any case, I looked upon his persistence with a sort of condescending favor. For his persistence, I decided to reward him with life. High on my delusional god-hood power-trip, I went a step further, and gave him a name: Frank, and a gender. I never saw Frank - the only indication of his presence was that web every morning, but over time I stopped clearing it away as I went out. Over time, it grew, and began to join up with the door. People in shopping center parking lots would look sideways at it, wondering what was wrong with me - but how could I explain to them that I had developed an attachment to an unseen spider hiding inside my side-mirror?

As with the last story, disaster struck. While I was out eating dinner with family, my car was hit by an unknown. No details were left, and there was no indication of his presence, other than the fact that the right indicator was now sitting comfortably in it's new position: directly above the rear right wheel. My car was sent to a panel-beater's, and they did an amazing job of fixing the damage, and for a very reasonable price. They also "cleared out a spider that had gotten into the mirror on the right side". I was aghast - but, not wanting to be seen as completely insane, I thanked them, drove my car home, and silently mourned frank in the tiny spaces of thinking time between episodes of adventure time.

Thus is my stories. They aren't important - a month from now, they'll hardly occupy my mind. But right now, I'd like to say, that my roommate's mother is a total cow.
I hope all can empathize the depths of my pain.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50368 on: August 23, 2012, 09:43:47 am »

D: Oh man, that really struck a chord. We used to have a spider living in our side mirror, actually... I can't remember what happened to it. I freaking hate it when my fellow humans do something so incredibly stupid and then try to act as though they've done you a favour.
"cleared out a spider that had gotten into the mirror on the right side"
ARGGH. Why didn't you shout your head off at him? :-\ I would have probably ended up facing assault charges. Argh.

As for the wasps, dear gods, I feel sorry for you having to live with someone who has such stupid relatives.
Good on you for at least trying to be kind to your fellow insects. You should shout at people more, though. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50369 on: August 23, 2012, 09:48:47 am »

1. The wasps are likely dead
2. Frank was likely a girl
3. Spiders have very light sensitive eyes, which is why Frank lived inside not on the mirror
4. I know that feel ;(

I remember once feeding a she-wolf spider till she grew to about 15cm diameter in size on nothing but ants (there's millions of them, they can spare it). Eventually she died (well, disappeared) but her brood still lives on after all that time. I remember even having a spider live under my bed, I sorta let her stay there till the day I found her perched on my arm. Moved her to a lampshade and called it  a night.
Pages: 1 ... 3356 3357 [3358] 3359 3360 ... 8167