Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3348 3349 [3350] 3351 3352 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9485558 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #50235 on: August 20, 2012, 08:13:36 am »

couldn't you sorta get help from some government help line, considering they starved you, due to the fact you don't eat meat?
I was over 18 at the time. 19, iirc.

And really, it's not so much vegetarianism they are/were against, but non-conformity. I got shit for my long hair too. The culture of the place I live in is all about conformity; you're either like everyone else, submitting to the standard "acceptable" life goals and lifestyles, or you're an "other." You might have to live in Utah to understand this.

Fuck, if you went up and tried to have a conversation with someone here, somewhere along the line (and there's no avoiding this) they're going to ask you "are you a member of the church?" They won't say which church, since other religions than Mormonism are uncommon and scary. And if you say no, they'll still be polite but you can say goodbye to most any chance of striking up a friendship or anything. You're now a "non-member," of which the only acceptable attitude to have towards is pity and indifference.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 08:17:53 am by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #50236 on: August 20, 2012, 08:18:52 am »

a few times for several reasons. first off, I wouldn't like to be eaten, second, it's healthier in general, third, it's actually better to be vegetarian because less land is needed to feed a vegetarian.
Your veggies don't want to be eaten either D: /jk

Utah sounds just like Korea/Japan. Interesting.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #50237 on: August 20, 2012, 08:44:03 am »

Dude, you make Utah sound like Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

"Not one of us!" *SCREEEEECH*

Actually, I suppose that's an entirely unfit analogy.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50238 on: August 20, 2012, 08:58:16 am »

I've actually been slightly tempted to go veggie a few times for several reasons. first off, I wouldn't like to be eaten, second, it's healthier in general, third, it's actually better to be vegetarian because less land is needed to feed a vegetarian.
1. You know you'd want to. Num num num.
2. Omnivores superior diet!
3. Not always the case. Plus a helluva lot of fertilisers go into the crops, which is terribad for the environment... Farming in general has been taken by humanity and pushed to the extreme.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50239 on: August 20, 2012, 08:59:38 am »

And you do all that to feed the animals, but you also need space and resources to raise and butcher them. So really, veggies are cheaper.

That said, I still like meat too much to let it go :>
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #50240 on: August 20, 2012, 09:08:12 am »

And you do all that to feed the animals, but you also need space and resources to raise and butcher them. So really, veggies are cheaper.
Eh, the resources used to make slaughterhouses pales in comparison to fertilizer costs. Also with the droughts in NA corn/bread is a great deal more expensive, and the majority of our food is corn/bread...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50241 on: August 20, 2012, 09:27:08 am »

That said, I still like meat too much to let it go :>
This, so much.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #50242 on: August 20, 2012, 09:28:12 am »

I think Jopax's point is that something like 80% of the corn raised in the US (a very fertilizer-intensive crop) is field corn raised for livestock, not for human consumption. So you're still paying the fertilizer and land costs with meat. Ounce for ounce, meat has a much higher input cost if you figure in the whole production chain. Except maybe goats and pigs, who can subsist on damn near anything.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50243 on: August 20, 2012, 09:42:04 am »

Pretty much, since most animals don't actually graze but are fed industrially processed vegetables (even pigs, because it's the cheapest way to get them as big as possible when raising them in large numbers) you still end up with a lot of land used for that. And let's not ignore soy either since most processed meat today (salami, wieners and other stuff) is in large part made up from soy.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #50244 on: August 20, 2012, 09:46:38 am »

Grass-fed beef is making a comeback, but it's pricey. Likewise for free-range hogs who forage in the woods. The big difference is that when you let animals forage off natural food, they acquire regional flavors because the vegetation varies, the mineral content in the soil varies, etc.

That's a good thing if you're a gourmet, but bad if you want McDonald's-style standardization where ground beef in one place tastes just like ground beef anywhere else. We've taken to getting all our meat from local farms so it's minimally processed and we know the feed is legit.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50245 on: August 20, 2012, 01:11:09 pm »

Grass-fed beef is making a comeback, but it's pricey. Likewise for free-range hogs who forage in the woods. The big difference is that when you let animals forage off natural food, they acquire regional flavors because the vegetation varies, the mineral content in the soil varies, etc.

That's a good thing if you're a gourmet, but bad if you want McDonald's-style standardization where ground beef in one place tastes just like ground beef anywhere else. We've taken to getting all our meat from local farms so it's minimally processed and we know the feed is legit.

This. I ate some meat of sheep and cows in the highest village of Austria, and it tasted fucking delicious.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #50246 on: August 20, 2012, 01:15:53 pm »

You might have to live in Utah to understand this.

If I were you I'd seriously consider moving further west. Probably either California, Portland area of Oregon, or up into Washington. You seem like you'd enjoy the coastal cultural attitudes much more.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50247 on: August 20, 2012, 01:17:37 pm »

For the longest time I've been planning to move to Washington (nice university I've been looking at, there), but it's super expensive. And they won't take many of my credits I've earned at a local college.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #50248 on: August 20, 2012, 01:22:17 pm »

For the longest time I've been planning to move to Washington (nice university I've been looking at, there), but it's super expensive. And they won't take many of my credits I've earned at a local college.

It's a bit of a slower route, but you might be better off transferring into a community college in Washington (who are probably more lenient with that sort of thing) and then doing a transfer to the University. That often bypasses that sort of thing, since Universities often have agreements with their in-state community colleges.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50249 on: August 20, 2012, 01:22:17 pm »

It doesn't have to be the coasts.  There are plenty of places in the urban midwest (Madison, Chicago, Columbus, Minneapolis) that have similar attitudes to the places on the coasts.  They're usually cheaper to live in, too.
Pages: 1 ... 3348 3349 [3350] 3351 3352 ... 8167