Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3343 3344 [3345] 3346 3347 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9487081 times)

Kamin

• Bay Watcher
  • Once you go cloaca, you never go backa.
    • View Profile
    • Slaves to Alcohol: Desura DF Fanpage
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #50160 on: August 17, 2012, 09:23:04 pm »

Honesty is the best course, despite injured feelings. :/
Yep; honesty is the best policy. Being honest does not automatically mean you have to be mean about it, so don't worry so much.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50161 on: August 17, 2012, 09:43:03 pm »

Agreed with them. Also, I'd point out that not sucking is a product of time invested. Maybe they need another year or two of practice and gaining sophistication in the craft.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #50162 on: August 17, 2012, 09:44:22 pm »

Someone will be honest with this artist eventually, Truean, but they might not be kind. If the critic is you, you can be gentle about it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50163 on: August 17, 2012, 10:06:33 pm »

Welp. Dog just got run over. Road claims another one. Had been thinking for a while now just letting the dog out sans leash was gonna' get it killed, but dog's actual owners didn't seem to care and, well. Here we are. Fucking hell. Second time in about a year and a half, two years, close family's lost a dog because of something that basically boiled down to neglect. Wasn't really close to this one, but still. Damnitall. The blue fuck can't people take care of animals? This shit isn't rocket science.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50164 on: August 17, 2012, 10:12:59 pm »

Well, now I fell bad for thinking what I walked in here for was any sad, that previous post is actually sad.

Anyway, my rather minor now sad is that youtube tags are now hidden.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50165 on: August 17, 2012, 10:46:38 pm »

So this person came to me after hearing I manage some bands and stuff.... They wanted to me manage their artistic career.

I've reviewed their product and ... it's terrible. I mean not just "you suck" terrible, but very possibly and I'm not joking, "the person doing this is really and truly trying their heart out but just... they aren't gonna pull it off and that's just really sad." It's not good and that's sorta tragic. I mean really nobody is gonna pay to see this and the person who referred them to me might be getting a stern talking to.... There's bad and then there's "It's honestly so bad you'd feel bad calling the person on it, because there might legitimately be something ... special... about them."

They wanna know what I think of them.... :(

I... It.... Uh.... :(
I can dress up, make a day trip to Ohio and use my sales skill to be an art critic for you.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50166 on: August 18, 2012, 12:21:53 am »

So this person came to me after hearing I manage some bands and stuff.... They wanted to me manage their artistic career.

I've reviewed their product and ... it's terrible. I mean not just "you suck" terrible, but very possibly and I'm not joking, "the person doing this is really and truly trying their heart out but just... they aren't gonna pull it off and that's just really sad." It's not good and that's sorta tragic. I mean really nobody is gonna pay to see this and the person who referred them to me might be getting a stern talking to.... There's bad and then there's "It's honestly so bad you'd feel bad calling the person on it, because there might legitimately be something ... special... about them."

They wanna know what I think of them.... :(

I... It.... Uh.... :(

do it the easy way, point to toilet and say flush yourself.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50167 on: August 18, 2012, 01:19:30 am »

I lost one of my favorite dogs ever to a car.  I'm working on emergency recall for Roxy.  Find something the dog really really loves (For my mastiff it was cheese) and it's not too hard to get the dog sprinting at you from any distance as soon as you say the name of the treat.
Shoes...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #50168 on: August 18, 2012, 01:25:20 am »

Like others said Truean, be honest about it, however harsh it sounds, I think most artists prefer knowing the truth about their work, because without criticism you can't really know what you're doing wrong and improve upon it.

So telling them that perhaps they aren't ready to go professional with this might be best, reccomend them some courses or something.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #50169 on: August 18, 2012, 01:36:09 am »

I'm a moron, having left papers full of personal information in a public area after a lunch break. I realized my mistake hours later, and mercifully discovered that they had been shredded because the staff who found them weren't sure if they had patient info. I just printed off another set. Once again, I escape the consequences of my own incompetence. Why is it that the only fuckups that screw me over are the ones other people make? It's like some sort of bizarre karmic balancing act where I'm not allowed to cause my own problems, but I still need to wind up with a number appropriate to the number of mistakes I make.

Also, my hip is aching like a bitch with every step I take. I kind of expect arthritis in the knee that I've had surgery on, but come on, I'm only 23. I think it's a little early in the ball game to be picking up random joint pain. Gonna get it looked at, I suppose. Doesn't help that the primary component of my job is "Walk for 6 out of the 8 hours you're here."

And finally, I have reason to post in this thread. That always makes me metasad.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #50170 on: August 18, 2012, 01:39:13 am »

On the art thing, yeah.  You will never grow as an artist if people don't tell you what you're doing wrong.  That's why fanfiction is almost uniformly terrible.

And like Fenrir said, somebody's going to tell him sooner or later, if you do it you can guarantee it'll be a softer blow.
Shoes...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50171 on: August 18, 2012, 04:07:12 am »

Anyway, my rather minor now sad is that youtube tags are now hidden.
That really sucks.
No more
"There is cum in the air praise jesus" with r33mix :(

EDIT:

Just as i left for a holiday for 12 days, some friends of mine made a TF2 hl team. Now all spots are filled D:
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:12:05 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #50172 on: August 18, 2012, 09:49:09 am »

Sort of on-topic, but I'll post anyway.

So, I made a post months ago about the correlation between people who spend alot of time near computers and the fact that they often wear glasses. I thought "Hey, looking at a computer screen can't be good for your eyes. All that rapidly moving light and probably a little radiation... maybe that's why geeks need glasses". Nope. Turns out this was insulting to everyone who read it.

I didn't mean it as an insult. After all these months of thinking, I don't even know it could be considered insulting. It was a simple fact, an observation, nothing more. I suppose it'd be like saying 1+1=2, then having people say that's insulting twos because they can't exist without a one. It doesn't make sense (to me, at least) how that would even approach an insult.

Why do people jump straight to the apparent insult or derogation behind a statement, instead of seeing it for the completely obvious fact it is?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #50173 on: August 18, 2012, 09:53:48 am »

I always lived with the fact that i need glasses because i'm behind a computer so much. Its like staring into a hundered lights (altough these lights are quite dim). I dont know how somebody could take that as an insult.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #50174 on: August 18, 2012, 10:09:03 am »

It was probably the geek bit that makes folks react poorly.

Anyway, most of the computer frequenting glasses needing folks I know needed glasses long before they habituated any degree of computer use. I also know plenty of folks who are regular computer users that don't need them, and plenty of folks that aren't and do. If there's an actual causitive connection, I'd be pretty doubtful it's any greater than that between TV and poor eyesight -- regardless, it's definitely quite weak.

I will say that folks with weak eyes tend to use contacts if they're more socially active. There's not any meaningful correlation between social activity and computer habituation either, but folks who are do tend, from what I've seen, to downplay that habit. So it's easier to get a confirmation bias when a lot of folks who would otherwise be wearing glasses are wearing contacts.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 3343 3344 [3345] 3346 3347 ... 8167