Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3310 3311 [3312] 3313 3314 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9422856 times)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49665 on: July 30, 2012, 11:31:10 am »

The irony being that if I did, he'd get a public defender....

Next week on True Truean, a court clerk's error causes Truean to be appointed to defend the man who assaulted her in the lobby.
That's just... gold... but terrible if it happened, be careful truean. D:

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49666 on: July 30, 2012, 12:14:48 pm »

So they're developing a new less-invasive treatment for pectus excavatum using implanted magnets.

That part doesn't make me sad. The fact that I'm too old for it does. One, because I would like to have mine fixed. And two...well, just look at it! Who wouldn't want to be Tony Stark?!?  :P
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
An interesting solution, if incredibly slow.

We can all agree Tony Stark is awesome, but I don't really like the idea of having implants, myself.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49667 on: July 30, 2012, 12:20:16 pm »

It would be pretty awesome to have an energy source inside yourself.
Then you'd just pull a cable out of your ear and plug it into the laptop to charge it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49668 on: July 30, 2012, 12:25:15 pm »

I just found out that Stockton, a city in California, went bankrupt. Turned into a shitstorm. I don't even know why I'm bothered by it, seeing it's an ocean and then a whole continent away, but to see them fucked over by banks so hard...

Edit: Alright, according to this source it's not the banks by themselves but poor management - suppose I should link you up in case you're interested.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 12:29:32 pm by LordSlowpoke »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49669 on: July 30, 2012, 12:25:43 pm »

Don't give the machines any ideas! The Matrix is a bad thing!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #49670 on: July 30, 2012, 12:37:17 pm »

Then you'd just pull a cable out of your ear and plug it into the laptop to charge it.
Well, we already talked about MIT's glucose fuel cell that generates power out of your spinal fluid.

I just thought of another cool use for a chest-mounted supermagnet: Get some magnetized ferrous slugs, orient them so their polarity is repulsive from the magnet, and then tighten them down in some kind of remotely-triggerable tubes on the chest.

Voila! Chest-mounted railgun!  :D Short range, no doubt, but it'd be interesting to see what kind of initial velocity you could get. Could be the ultimate in concealed anti-mugging defenses.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #49672 on: July 30, 2012, 01:11:13 pm »

Well, we already talked about MIT's glucose fuel cell that generates power out of your spinal fluid.

I just thought of another cool use for a chest-mounted supermagnet: Get some magnetized ferrous slugs, orient them so their polarity is repulsive from the magnet, and then tighten them down in some kind of remotely-triggerable tubes on the chest.

Voila! Chest-mounted railgun!  :D Short range, no doubt, but it'd be interesting to see what kind of initial velocity you could get. Could be the ultimate in concealed anti-mugging defenses.
You do realize that a railgun uses superconductors to create an extremely high current (in the MA-range, IIRC) very rapidly that induces a superstrong magnetic field between two rails (usually long ones, too)? You then have a ballistic object mounted on a conducting "cradle" placed on the rails, closing the circuit (and thus inducing the magnetic field in question). With current moving through the cradle, the cradle is affected by a magnetic force giving it an acceleration. Due to the high current, this acceleration is very large, enough to accelerate the projectile up to several km/s. (The magnetic field is reduced rapidly over time due to self-induction and Lenz's law as well as dissipation of the electric current output from the capacitors, assuming the rails haven't melted and broken the circuit.) Oh , and it looks like this:

And you want to mount them on people's chests? I approve.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49673 on: July 30, 2012, 01:13:08 pm »

You do realize that a railgun uses superconductors to create an extremely high current (in the MA-range, IIRC) very rapidly that induces a superstrong magnetic field between two rails (usually long ones, too)? You then have a ballistic object mounted on a conducting "cradle" placed on the rails, closing the circuit (and thus inducing the magnetic field in question). With current moving through the cradle, the cradle is affected by a magnetic force giving it an acceleration. Due to the high current, this acceleration is very large, enough to accelerate the projectile up to several km/s. (The magnetic field is reduced rapidly over time due to self-induction and Lenz's law as well as dissipation of the electric current output from the capacitors, assuming the rails haven't melted and broken the circuit.) Oh , and it looks like this:

And you want to mount them on people's chests? I approve.

I want that inside me. :P
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49674 on: July 30, 2012, 01:47:06 pm »

Make it booze-powered.
Drink a couple bottles of vodka, ravage town.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #49675 on: July 30, 2012, 01:53:30 pm »

I was recently told that my grandfather died just yesterday.  :'(

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #49676 on: July 30, 2012, 07:17:22 pm »

Dude, read the thread again, you'll be pleasantly un-sad. (Unless you are sad about being incredibly wrong, but it would be balanced out by the fact that you can have higher stats.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49677 on: July 30, 2012, 07:18:34 pm »

Things that made you sad today thread.

1 camera is knicked by brother, I NEED Camera!
2 UPS starts smoking, its 3yrs old and like the pc on the dot it drops dead. conspirisy I tell you
3 needed camera to log my ripping and soldering of Said UPS

UPS is back to gether but have not tried it, in case it goes on fire. Why do UPS's come with c14(kettle) ports now? I Need BS1363 (UK square 3 Pin)sockets damm you!
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #49678 on: July 30, 2012, 08:08:34 pm »

So they're developing a new less-invasive treatment for pectus excavatum using implanted magnets.

That part doesn't make me sad. The fact that I'm too old for it does. One, because I would like to have mine fixed. And two...well, just look at it! Who wouldn't want to be Tony Stark?!?  :P

Are you kidding? That would be terrible! You couldn't get within 10 feet of a computer w/o screwing things up. D:

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49679 on: July 31, 2012, 12:36:59 pm »

Welp, my best friend is dying.  That is to say, my computer.  A couple weeks ago, Firefox started acting up, randomly crashing when Flash stuff was called up, and giving me an "error when closing" message when turned off that never seemed to effect anything.

A couple days ago, it started getting really bad.  Yesterday it took half an hour to boot up and randomly froze and hung ever couple minutes.  I couldn't do much to back up files, because moving files was itself an action that didn't work too well.

When I restarted it, thinking having Steam and Firefox and whatnot running was part of the problem, it wouldn't get past Windows boot up.  If I hard shut-down during startup, it'll go to a safemode-ish Startup Repair, but claims it didn't find any problems and still failed to start again.  Now I get a BIOS message about a drive failing, the Statup Repair can go for an hour without finishing, and starting up normally just gets to the Windows splash page and stays there.  I think.  I have it running at home right now, so when I get back I'll see if eight hours was enough time to boot to login.

I have a feeling it was hit by static or a power surge, which means even if I fix it, this could happen again.  And I haven't backed up any files since I got this computer.  I'm really really hoping that the harddrive itself isn't fried, but if it is, I just might have to die with it.  I'm going to try to plug it into my old desktop today (which itself was on its last legs when I replaced it) and try for a miracle so I can back up mah junk.

Then I can get to work fixing it.  Damn.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 3310 3311 [3312] 3313 3314 ... 8167