Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3297 3298 [3299] 3300 3301 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9435836 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49470 on: July 20, 2012, 05:19:16 pm »

Watched the book of Eli for a second time.

Well, if you've watched it the first time... No real way of explaining it without massive spoiler.

Nega

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lizard Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #49471 on: July 20, 2012, 05:50:57 pm »

Just saw the new report for the shooting...Good god.  :'(

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49472 on: July 20, 2012, 06:51:47 pm »

Just be careful not to forget the vast amount of deaths happening in the present.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #49473 on: July 20, 2012, 09:35:35 pm »

Just be careful not to forget the vast amount of deaths happening in the present.

This is what gets me... these things get so much attention, because violence is sensational... but many many more people die of preventable poverty-related illness and starvation every single day than in even the worst of these domestic incidents.  To me, those deaths are even more horrifying than random shootings... to slowly whither away knowing that this is happening because you've been deemed worthless by society.  There's no crazy person to blame, either.  At least insanity can be seen as somewhat like a force of nature.  Most poverty isn't because of anything so unpredictable or confusing.  It's because of wars for profit and the callous hoarding of resources by powerful people.  It's because (relatively) sane and calculating people give and follow orders without regard.

If it were up to me, we'd be memorializing tragedy every single day until that shit gets fixed.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49474 on: July 20, 2012, 09:55:15 pm »

Perspective's a bitch, eh? Out of sight, out of mind... The only tragedies are the ones that pierce our barriers of willful ignorance and apathy.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #49475 on: July 20, 2012, 10:03:14 pm »

This is what gets me... these things get so much attention, because violence is sensational... but many many more people die of preventable poverty-related illness and starvation every single day than in even the worst of these domestic incidents.  To me, those deaths are even more horrifying than random shootings... to slowly whither away knowing that this is happening because you've been deemed worthless by society.  There's no crazy person to blame, either.  At least insanity can be seen as somewhat like a force of nature.  Most poverty isn't because of anything so unpredictable or confusing.  It's because of wars for profit and the callous hoarding of resources by powerful people.  It's because (relatively) sane and calculating people give and follow orders without regard.

If it were up to me, we'd be memorializing tragedy every single day until that shit gets fixed.

Yes.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49476 on: July 20, 2012, 10:18:25 pm »

I'm a massive derpface. I just put in for 1 minute instead of 1hr, 1 minute for my last shift. *atomic facepalm*

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #49477 on: July 21, 2012, 01:58:03 am »

Last night we went drinking, it was quite awesome, but, once again, I managed to prove how mouch of an idiot I can be, getting a smack in the face which sent my brand new glasses (almost a month old) flying into the rocks of the beach. This chipped the right glass, it's not greatly damaged and doesn't really impair my vision in amy serious way because it's on the very edge of the glass and it isn't that big.

But I'm still dissappointed with me :c
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49478 on: July 21, 2012, 02:47:42 am »

Leaving to the sea for four days in less then an hour *again*.
Sad because i dont really want to go.
(on the other side tough, i'd only be playing on the computer if i dont go there.)

(this means that i wont be online until Wednesday)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49479 on: July 21, 2012, 02:57:51 am »

Hey, the sea's a pretty cool place. Kind of like the internet, with words replaced with water and pictures of cats replaced with fish. I like the motion of a boat. With the night sky and spray of the water and all that, I'd rather be on the sea for four days than on the computer. Unless you won't be on a good ship. A good ship makes all the difference.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #49480 on: July 21, 2012, 03:00:23 am »

Yeah, but we are on the shore, i ment :P
We are kind of inbetween two villages on a camping in a caravan thats from about 1970.
There isnt really alot to do.

I like being on boats too, even tough i have only been on a boat twice or so. (and that was for an hour max)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49481 on: July 21, 2012, 03:08:03 am »

Boats are pretty cool. I've only been on boats a few times, about an hour or less each, on an educational trip in the Florida Keys. Fun when you're dehydrated so you're feeling the boat motion when you're on land.

The shore is a pretty cool place too. Not as cool as on the water, but decent. Sand is nice; most other shore materials are okay. You should bring a book or two, if you have any. Sounds like a good time for it.

Cool breeze blowing off the water is always nice. Especially in the summer.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #49482 on: July 21, 2012, 07:02:57 am »

Goddamnit, I'm going to jail on monday as a result of things outside of my control and in direct contradiction to what I was told would happen. I'm so tired of this shit, I'm very tempted to tell the court to fuck themselves and just do my time. I'd only have to do 15% of maybe 14 years, if the judge was being a total fucking prick. So, 2.1 years in prison, then 12 years parole. Way more time that would be necessary for what I did, but if what I'm doing now keeps going like this, I'm going to end up 4 years on this bullshit program anyway. I'm so tired. I can't even cry these days. I'm burnt out.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #49483 on: July 21, 2012, 07:18:12 am »

Prison's... pretty much never the better option if there's a way to avoid it. The four years sound stressful as hell, but compared to two of outright hell followed by, what, a sixth or seventh of your entire life with the constant threat of being thrown back in? Four years sounds like a good idea. Try not to let the frustration influence your decision making, if you can. Obviously easier said than done, but...

Pretty much everything I've heard of says that avoiding prison time is just flat out the best thing you can do, even if it's causing some pretty hefty stress in the interim.

Do you have a legal advisor or something? Can you talk to them?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #49484 on: July 21, 2012, 08:45:49 am »

I'm very tempted to tell the court to fuck themselves and just do my time.
Doesn't make the judge be any less of a prick :/
Ah well I don't know what this is so I really can't say much... Good luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3297 3298 [3299] 3300 3301 ... 8167