Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3267 3268 [3269] 3270 3271 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9455378 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #49020 on: July 08, 2012, 02:16:22 am »

Just for parity, to go along with my recent sweeping planetary-scale source of happy and hope for the future... I've discovered a source of equally bad news, on a similar scale; we're approaching a State-Shift in Earth's Biosphere, with serious consequences for life as we know it. We're talking "Mass Extinction Event" serious.

A growing consensus of scientists believe human action is driving us toward a planetary state shift, where shifting weather patterns and climate zones, as well as drastic ecological changes, begin to cause a feedback loop which historically ends in mass-extinction events. Global warming, mass die-out of our coral reefs, colony collapse disorder, and the rapidly rising extinction rate of species on Earth are all indicative of this shift.

It's not a doomsday theory, but a known facet of Earth's history, and one which a growing body evidence suggests is now approaching us. The difference this time is that it's on a human time-scale, rather than geological one... and Earth's biodiversity still hasn't fully recovered from the Holocene Warming, the state-shift which marked the end of the Ice Age. By some estimates, this could come into effect within our lifetimes or soon thereafter, and what such an event would mean for Earth and the Human species, let alone Human civilization, is entirely unknown.

If you have access to scientific journal Nature (via Universities, Libraries, etc.) you can check out the original scientific publication here.

Summaries of the publication can also be found here:
http://www.businessinsider.com/scientists-environment-verge-of-disaster-2012-6
http://grist.org/climate-energy/were-about-to-push-the-earth-over-the-brink-new-study-finds/
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:49:38 am by Solifuge »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49021 on: July 08, 2012, 02:40:12 am »

Well...shit.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49022 on: July 08, 2012, 02:41:48 am »

Oh we'll survive as a species. It's just gonna suck really bad.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49023 on: July 08, 2012, 02:42:10 am »

I've long suspected that while climate change may not destroy us all, it is likely to make our lives rather miserable in the not too distant future.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49024 on: July 08, 2012, 02:53:23 am »

To ze stars!
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49025 on: July 08, 2012, 02:54:50 am »

So we can screw up those somehow too!
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49026 on: July 08, 2012, 03:07:59 am »

For those who wish to look forward to the future, may I recommend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singularity_Is_Near ?

EDIT: Sad: I think I used to be a better person. Like, around the time I signed up on the forum to about 6 months ago. My mind has been decaying, rather rapidly.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 03:16:07 am by Lectorog »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49027 on: July 08, 2012, 04:30:55 am »

Oh we'll survive as a species. It's just gonna suck really bad.

We don't have the capacity to foresee all the ways Earth will change after its next State Shift. These things mark the difference between the Earth of the Precambrian with its acidic atmosphere and the dominion of aquatic bacteria, and the cool oxygenated Earth full of complex lifeforms we know today. These things are complicated, far-reaching, and irreversibly change the makeup of the entire world. Right now, flowering plants are losing their primary pollinators and dying out, which will extinct entire food webs. As global temperatures change, the shift in prevailing air currents will create lifeless deserts where plains and rainforests are now, and vice versa. This goes without mentioning the cultural impact of such a shift; imagine what could happen to the United States if the grain belt, which supplies the majority of its food, was pushed north with rising temperatures into Canadian territory?

We do know that this sort of shift happens, and past evidence suggests that Earth is approaching the next one thanks largely in part to us. Our saving grace is that we don't know the full extent of Human impact on the world's climate, and so we don't know what kind of time scale we're on. Also, Humans can see it coming, unlike lifeforms during past state shifts and mass extinctions, which is better than not.

Welcome to the Anthropocene Period, I suppose. Whether sooner or later, it's going to be a brave new world.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 04:32:41 am by Solifuge »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49028 on: July 08, 2012, 05:16:47 am »

Humans have far greater capacity for adaptation than any other animal ever (well, adapting our environment rather than ourselves, but still). If any non-bacteria organism is going to survive a huge state shift, it's us. Everything else has to hope it's not standing where the metaphorical meteors land.

If we die out, it's after (or because) every land based crop and animal dies out too. If anything is left, we can exploit it and continue on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #49029 on: July 08, 2012, 07:30:41 am »

And that doesn't just make the whole thing more tragic to you?
Love, scriver~

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #49030 on: July 08, 2012, 10:48:53 am »

Aurora is mocking my intelligence merely by existing.

Makes me wonder how I ever even got into Dwarf Fortress, climbing difficulty curves never was my thing. I quess the stories I heard were just so great that I had to bang my head to the wall until I found a tutorial I liked.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49031 on: July 08, 2012, 10:51:18 am »

My complete lack of motivation/ability to get motivated for anything makes me sad.
Also being stuck in a rut. :( And having oreos in the kitchen, because fuck them. So... Addictive... Mocking my attempts at being healthy... Argh.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49032 on: July 08, 2012, 01:27:58 pm »

2012 world = !!ends!!

well the financial world definetly is showing of approcing new epoch which is real meaning of 2012, end of one time start of another.
If the world is screwed as report suggests all I can say is yet another reason in my life to drink myself to sleep.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #49033 on: July 08, 2012, 01:39:14 pm »

2012 world = !!ends!!

well the financial world definetly is showing of approcing new epoch which is real meaning of 2012, end of one time start of another.
If the world is screwed as report suggests all I can say is yet another reason in my life to drink myself to sleep.

So long as it all ends and doesn't leave the "Fallout" game universe in its wake....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49034 on: July 08, 2012, 01:41:36 pm »

But we get to annex Canada in that universe!

On second though...
Pages: 1 ... 3267 3268 [3269] 3270 3271 ... 8167