Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3216 3217 [3218] 3219 3220 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423469 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #48255 on: June 20, 2012, 08:22:55 am »

Conceding to a falsehood just to "preserve the peace" is the root of all evil.
I wouldn't call it the root of all evil, but to perpetuate something you know* is false, is terrible nonetheless.

*the truth may be subjective and subject to change

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #48256 on: June 20, 2012, 08:56:30 am »

Well, I'm not speaking about political arguments. Rather, the kind that take place within relationships. I, like most men, have a tendency to treat relationship arguments with such an overly rational, logical approach that I make them about rhetoric/'winning'. It's really dumb, because the point of a fight within a relationship is not to 'win' it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48257 on: June 20, 2012, 09:19:17 am »

I do the same thing...I'm so used to using actual rhetoric and debate skills that I'm unable to drop them when it's a petty argument over the dishes or whose turn it is to give the dog a bath or what have you. The PowerPoint slides and annotated bibliography were perhaps a bit much....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #48258 on: June 20, 2012, 10:14:37 am »

Well, I'm not speaking about political arguments. Rather, the kind that take place within relationships. I, like most men, have a tendency to treat relationship arguments with such an overly rational, logical approach that I make them about rhetoric/'winning'. It's really dumb, because the point of a fight within a relationship is not to 'win' it.
You are right.

The point of a fight in a relationship is not to for the person who is right to win.

The point of a fight in a relationship is for HER to win.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #48259 on: June 20, 2012, 10:55:22 am »

http://consumerist.com/2012/06/ann-taylor-says-womans-service-dog-was-without-harness-except-that-isnt-true.html

Let's pick on the blind people and blatantly lie for no reason whatsoever. The guide dog had a harness, because there's no other way for the blind person to use it.... [sigh] It isn't even like they could've made any money by not letting the dog in or anything.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48260 on: June 20, 2012, 11:53:59 am »

The point of a fight in a relationship is not to for the person who is right to win.

Specifically, to let the other party win in a way that you still get what you want. It's a delicate art, argumentative judo, but once you realize you need to give up victory in order to achieve it, the path becomes clear.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #48261 on: June 20, 2012, 12:06:43 pm »

My face gets more disgusting by the day. I think one of my nightmares is coming true.
Spoiler: I have a dream.... (click to show/hide)

First thought:
  • Boomer

Second thought:
  • Have you considered grabbin pillz?

Seriously though, consider seeing a dermatologist or a GP. I'm sure you could find free consultation somewhere. At worst, it could be an infection which could be remedied with some antibiotics.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48262 on: June 20, 2012, 12:10:41 pm »

Specifically, to let the other party win in a way that you still get what you want. It's a delicate art, argumentative judo, but once you realize you need to give up victory in order to achieve it, the path becomes clear.
Hmm...our arguments are more like "We had to napalm the village to save it."

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48263 on: June 20, 2012, 12:19:07 pm »

Then clearly you are doing it wrong. You must learn that true strength is in knowing how to yield so as to achieve your objectives with minimum effort. Sometimes this means you will "win" the argument, but just as important is that you win it in the right way. Sometimes it means you will lose. This is irrelevant, so long as the goal is accomplished.

To cling to pride will only bring ruin. To cling to a stubborn insistence of the fact that you are right is to invite defeat. When you leave no way for the other party to retreat, no way to save face, then they will fight all the harder and the inevitable outcome is mutual destruction.

Also, get her a snail. Bitches love snails.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #48264 on: June 20, 2012, 12:21:23 pm »

Or he/she could be playing the game: "I am angry at you and wont tell you why. You need to tell my why you are wrong and what you will do to make it up for me. Don't guess wrong or else."

Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #48265 on: June 20, 2012, 12:31:34 pm »

To cling to pride will only bring ruin. To cling to a stubborn insistence of the fact that you are right is to invite defeat. When you leave no way for the other party to retreat, no way to save face, then they will fight all the harder and the inevitable outcome is mutual destruction.
Ahh. In the terms of Sun Tzu, I have placed my wife on death ground.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #48266 on: June 20, 2012, 12:32:39 pm »

Sun Tzu said fight.

Anyway, i think my mouse is breaking down a bit, the left-click just started feeling... weird.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48267 on: June 20, 2012, 12:37:39 pm »

I read that as "my house is breaking down", and was inclined to say "mine too".

Seriously, my door is completely unhinged now.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48268 on: June 20, 2012, 02:02:42 pm »

for me, it's not winning that counts, it's the debate.

because you can
A) learn stuff
B) have some interesting philosophical stuff come out of said argument.
This is a big part of why I'm always saying crazy stuff. Because we get to learn things when people shoot me down and prove me wrong.

The other part is that I'm genuinely a crazy idiot prone to occasional bouts of diarrhoea of the mouth.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48269 on: June 20, 2012, 03:58:53 pm »

Then clearly you are doing it wrong. You must learn that true strength is in knowing how to yield so as to achieve your objectives with minimum effort. Sometimes this means you will "win" the argument, but just as important is that you win it in the right way. Sometimes it means you will lose. This is irrelevant, so long as the goal is accomplished.

Also, get her a snail. Bitches love snails.

So... Sun Tzu and the 36 stratagems apply to relationships?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 3216 3217 [3218] 3219 3220 ... 8167