Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3198 3199 [3200] 3201 3202 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9411275 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #47985 on: June 15, 2012, 10:57:03 am »

Keep in mind that U.K. bacon and U.S. bacon are cut from different areas of the pig.
Yep. Ours is from the belly, and U.K. bacon is what we'd call back bacon.

As a related sad/WTF, Burger King just unveiled its latest creation just in time for summer: the bacon sundae.

And for a sweet ending, the company is also offering a bacon sundae - vanilla soft serve with fudge, caramel, bacon crumbles and a piece of bacon - that started in Nashville, Tenn. earlier this year.

The salty-sweet dessert clocks in at 510 calories, 18 grams of fat and 61 grams of sugar.

Now I love bacon as much as the next salivating guy, but SRSLY?

« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:56:04 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47986 on: June 15, 2012, 11:00:17 am »

They aren't even trying anymore. They really believe we'll eat anything they give us.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #47987 on: June 15, 2012, 11:05:29 am »

That seems gross.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #47988 on: June 15, 2012, 11:10:40 am »

They aren't even trying anymore. They really believe we'll eat anything they give us.
I dunno, they might be right. I won't eat it, but I predict an instant best seller.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #47989 on: June 15, 2012, 11:11:38 am »

*History Channel Aliens guy*
'Americans'

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47990 on: June 15, 2012, 12:00:09 pm »

As with the Double Down, I may have to try this just because. And as with the Double Down, I may find myself hating life the next day or two afterwards. On the face of it, it's not a horrible idea. Bacon *does* complement sweet things very well. I've had chocolate with tiny bits of bacon in it and it was delicious. I have no problem sopping up leftover pancake syrup with a strip of bacon.

But something about the texture of having chewy bacon bits in the midst of smooth ice cream...I dunno.  :-\

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47991 on: June 15, 2012, 12:01:01 pm »

Cold ice cream. Don't forget that. Cold bacon is not best bacon by a long shot.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47992 on: June 15, 2012, 12:20:43 pm »

Going to deliver dinner to some friends this evening. They just had their first child and she was 4 weeks early, and not doing well. This seems to be a recurring theme with our circle of friends.

We have one couple who lost their first child just before his 1st birthday to a genetic disorder. They knew he was terminal for at least six months before he died. Then they had twins, who were born *months* early and weighed about 1lb each. After four months in intensive care, they actually did OK and they just turned 2, but it's been a long hard road for them.

We have another couple who are trying really hard to have kids, but are infertile. They got pregnant once, but she miscarried at about 7 weeks and has been deeply depressed over it ever since.

Then we have this couple, who are a bit older (late 30's and early 40's), so they don't really have much of a window left for getting pregnant without major risks. And suddenly, bam....preemie baby with potential major issues.

And then we have me and my fertile loins (seriously...I come from some fertile damn bloodlines). We had two kids and weren't even really trying (we weren't NOT trying, just more of a "meh...if it happens, it happens"). No complications, no health issues.

And now even though I know nobody is consciously trying to be this way, it feels like it's driving a wedge between us and these sets of friends, because they all have this common bond in the difficulties they've had and we "can't understand what it's like". Like we should feel guilty for not having had to deal with miscarriages and infant deaths and infertility. And now I can't help but feel guilty anytime I so much as get irritated with my kids.  :-[

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47993 on: June 15, 2012, 12:55:44 pm »

Hot apple pie goes really well with cold ice cream though - who's to say this bacon isn't hot?

I don't actually think its that bad, or at least no worse than most of the sickening meals you carnivores put together. It's just dairy and meat, which you love on your sammiches. Is the problem that this isn't a bacon ice cream sandwich instead?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47994 on: June 15, 2012, 01:13:33 pm »

Hot apple pie goes really well with cold ice cream though - who's to say this bacon isn't hot?

I don't actually think its that bad, or at least no worse than most of the sickening meals you carnivores put together. It's just dairy and meat, which you love on your sammiches. Is the problem that this isn't a bacon ice cream sandwich instead?
Ask, and ye shall receive.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47995 on: June 15, 2012, 01:16:33 pm »

It's like ambrosia, but with more heart attacks.

Sorry glyph, edited.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:19:13 pm by Lagslayer »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47996 on: June 15, 2012, 01:18:21 pm »

My dog eats rocks and grass, that doesn't make him any less a carnivore. I assumed you just used it as a wrapper that you didn't have to dispose of afterwards - I'm not sure if you actually eat it as food.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47997 on: June 15, 2012, 01:18:34 pm »

Hmm, that might be pretty good.  But it would have to depend on the preparation, the bacon would have to be warm, and lighter on the grease than bacon usually is.  Also it would probably be better with smaller chunks of bacon than that whole strip there.  I can just see eating that strip separately and then digging into the ice cream, while nothing but bacon bits would allow you to continue eating it with a spoon.

In short, I would try it as long as that portion pictured is less than $1.50.

Doubletake:  Oh wait that's BURGER KING bacon?  I worked at burger king for 4 years I would not touch that bacon with a 10 foot pole.   If somebody else used bacon that doesn't sit at uncovered room temperature for 16 hours I would try it.  There's really not that much I disagreed with about how Burger King prepared their food, but their bacon was horrifying.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #47998 on: June 15, 2012, 01:35:14 pm »

I like bacon but.... I've never been one for the hot + cold thing unless it's like fudge and ice cream, and with meat that seems even weirder.

Also I somewhat feel the need to ask about this. GlyphGryph is that tone about eating meat really necessary? Sure we get that you're a vegetarian, but that doesn't give you free reign to make those kinds of statements about people who eat meat. Unless they're joking, but even then they do kinda look like you're serious.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47999 on: June 15, 2012, 01:40:17 pm »

Considering like two posts before that was about me cooking bacon for people, I an safely say my tongue was firmly pressed against my cheek there.

I was, in fact, joking. Sorry, I may have been a bit to dry there, especially without the context of lagslayer's removed statement.
Pages: 1 ... 3198 3199 [3200] 3201 3202 ... 8166