Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3186 3187 [3188] 3189 3190 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9409493 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #47805 on: June 11, 2012, 06:36:09 pm »

That's why Lawyers hourly rates are so high; it's making up for all the bullshit they can't directly bill for.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #47806 on: June 11, 2012, 06:36:55 pm »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:20:54 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47807 on: June 11, 2012, 07:51:05 pm »

Considering the number of assholes that are also rich, there's a decent chance they'll be a CEO of something or other, too.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #47808 on: June 11, 2012, 10:05:07 pm »

So, I did some internet searching for colleges in Australia like Glyph suggested. At the very top of the list was Completed the Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) or an equivalent qualification. It doth says in the equivalent qualification list that programs like IB are equivalent. To take IB in Korea, I have to either be in one of the foreigner schools, or be in one of the foreigner schools. Despite what it may seem, I am not a citizen of the US in any matter or capacity whatsoever and don't qualify for those schools. They also cost enough that it puts many US colleges to shame. One school, the Seoul Foreign School, costs  22,154,000 Korean Won plus $8,920; that would be a grand total of $27839.52 for a year, $83518.56 for three years.  ((22 273.3979 euros, says Google, for one year))

... I don't qualify for them anyways.

Another pathway would be to go to the university my dad goes to and get an automatic scholarship of some 99%, which being a private univ is quite a lot. The only drawback to this plan is that it's the second best in Korea, meaning the competition is (assuming I even manage to keep up with the devilish other Korean students) ... 5:1 for Free/No Major; 3.27:1 for Engineering, Mechanical; 2.94:1 for Computer Engineering, 4.27:1 for Business, 4.37:1 for Economics.

Actually, things aren't that bad for numbers, I think, but still quite high. The overall competition rate is 4.55:1.

I think I feel better after ranting so much... :-D

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47809 on: June 12, 2012, 05:58:42 am »

-snip-
If you get a study visa, you can do VCE here yourself, which then qualifies you for just about any uni course providing you get a decent score.
Alternatively, depending on the pathway you want to take, TAFE can help too.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47810 on: June 12, 2012, 08:18:26 am »

Minor as all hell, but apparently folks filched my bucket. Probably for use at one of the places they're trying to fix up, but still. No mop-sized bucket makes mopping more annoying. Five gal is lil' too big and not quite right shape. Nuisance :-\

E: Gwargh, what hell! They took broom, too! I have neither broom nor mop bucket. This complicates a once simple task!

Already have to hide sponges for dishcleaning to keep them from being ruined, am I going to have to start hiding the cleaning tools to keep them from disappearing, too? Gwarble.

E2: Found little broom. Top of haft does not come up to hip. Brush is smaller than foot. Is like: Quest Gained: Mop floor. Okay, no probl- Challenge Mode Activated. Wait, what?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 08:39:38 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #47811 on: June 12, 2012, 08:24:54 am »

Woke up with a horrible sore throat. Ugh. Ugh. I hate the feeling of phlegm building up back there, and getting rid of it is disgusting.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47812 on: June 12, 2012, 08:31:13 am »

I also hate the feeling of long slimy trails of thick greenish snot running down the back of my throat. To the point where it makes me want to vomit.

I have not had a good last week.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #47813 on: June 12, 2012, 08:33:27 am »

I am in your same situation. I'm taking betametasone, and have tried to get an ORList to peek insikde with a fibroscope, but couldn't find her this morning, so I'll try again tomorrow
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47814 on: June 12, 2012, 08:47:49 am »

My boss isn't responding to my emails. 

This is the guy I used to get along quite well with, worked 50 hours a week for at $200-$300/week.  Helped keep together his old store(unpaid) while he was in the hospital.  Ran the new store by myself for a month after he spontaneously decided he would go on tour around the country a month after opening up his new business.  With promises that my time and effort will be well compensated.  All while driving an hour each way to get there.  While fixing all the computers that come into the shop for repair and monitoring all the business client systems that we claim we monitor 24/7 but in reality I'm the only one who even looks at the monitoring system.  And the logs prove it.

A week after informing me that he doesn't think I'm contributing as much to the business as I should, he gets an intern from the local college, has me teach her a few store policies, and lays me off saying he can't afford to keep me, and to call in 2 months.

It has only been a month so far, but I figure I should at least get a token response to my email asking how things are holding up, but I'm getting nothing.  I've also been removed from the employees list on the website.  I think I've been ripped off, and it is oh so obvious now in hindsight.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47815 on: June 12, 2012, 09:50:44 am »

Go into the same business for yourself, become his competition, and rub his business out through capitalism.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47816 on: June 12, 2012, 10:46:21 am »

Yea I suppose I oughta do that.  I'm actually better known to his clients up here than he is because he would never do housecalls himself, always sending me out to do them.  He has better advertising though.  He actually gets free advertising pretty much indefinitely in two newspapers thanks to a deal he made with a local chamber of commerce, and free radio advertising once a month with an old band buddy by being a guest on a 3 hour segment with him.

I suppose I'll just throw up a couple papers in laundromats and stuff advertising simple one-man computer repair housecalls, and see where it goes from there.  Or maybe just get a job with one of his competitors, judging from what I saw of the quality of their work they need all the help they can get.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47817 on: June 12, 2012, 10:50:51 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I know someone who had the exact same problem, except over a 16 year period. Covering for incompetent management, babysitting all the other idiots who can't do their jobs, basically holding the entire store together, and always got shit on, regardless of what promises were made to him.

I've taken his plight to heart, and have vowed to never, ever kiss up to anybody. If they are wrong, they are fucking wrong. And I ain't gonna be anybody's patsy. You don't respect someone that kisses your ass.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #47818 on: June 12, 2012, 11:09:12 am »

I have the feeling that I'm pretty much getting sidelined in the department. Normally I wouldnt care too much, as how they use my workhours is their business, and if they want to waste it, it doesnt concern me, as long as I get full marks and full pay. Only... eventually I'll arrive somewhere where I am not expected to be just a novelty ornament, and therefore I want to learn now.  And hell, it's my job, I want to learn and be useful.

The problem is that, since they are fully aware that next month I leave for another department, they're not even bothering with training, or task assignment. I got some minor bullshit jobs which were meant to stop me from pestering them, rather than anything *real*. I suspect they'd be happier if I brought my computer to work and played solitarie from 8 to 15.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #47819 on: June 12, 2012, 11:45:39 am »

I'm not feeling too much today.
This makes me sad.
I should probably post this in the happy thread now.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 3186 3187 [3188] 3189 3190 ... 8166