Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3171 3172 [3173] 3174 3175 ... 8166

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9416072 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #47580 on: June 04, 2012, 10:08:35 pm »

Probably not the only one. There's gotta' be, like, two of you. Somewhere.

But yeah. Cheap, filling enough, goes well with a lot of stuff. Like potatoes. Rice is my other potato.
Yet you wonder why the government doesn't support the usage of rice in school cafeterias.

Because they would probably mess it up so horribly that it would be inedible anyways.

Speaking of which, you people are making me want to set my alarm an hour early and make an awesome lunch of rice and japanese-style tamagoyaki eggs tomorrow. Yay for packed lunch!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #47581 on: June 04, 2012, 10:42:44 pm »

How much does it cost to take the bar?

Several thousand dollars just to take the test. All told, it can easily go to $10,000 without even trying.

Let's see, first there are the fees to register as a candidate to take the bar exam, the fees for the character and fitness evaluation whereby they dig into every portion of your past no matter how small, basically. Then you have a character and fitness interview at a local bar association. This all takes about a year minimum last I checked, they recommended that law students start the process when they had at least 1 1/2 years of law school left. At this point, you've sunk in about $2000 in fees, certified mailing costs, etc.

Then you've gotta take a bar exam review course for all the things they frankly should've taught but didn't teach you in law school that are on the bar, yet still have nothing to do with being a lawyer. These bar review courses can easily cost $4000-$5000 lock stock and barrel with supplemental materials. http://www.barbri.com/courseInfo/barReviewCourse/pricing.html?selectedState=OH They admit to $3250, but really it's more, because there are $500 add ons you sorta need that they nickel and dime you for later. Then of course there are entire supplemental bar exam courses.

Then, of course, there's the fact that the test takes place over the course of two and a half days in Columbus and that means if you're from out of town, you need a hotel room for about a week practically speaking. Did I mention the hotel owners know that about 1,200 law students are coming to down that week and thus jack up their prices accordingly, because they do.... You can pay up to $1000 in lodging travel (gas for driving several hours) food, parking and who knows what else. I stayed at a friend's house.

Then they charge you $110 for the privilege of using your own laptop that you must provide if you don't want to hand write the bar exam. Writing that thing out by hand means you may as well just break off your hand.... This fee allows you to use their software that will make sure you don't cheat by locking down your computer so that it doesn't boot anything else but the exam software. There are several little fees they nick you with that add up quickly. 

That, naturally, doesn't include the cost of lost wages, because you don't have to take time off work to study for the bar exam, but your chances of failing it go through the roof if you don't. You do however, need at dead minimum a week off work to actually take the test just to actually physically go and take it. I took most of the summer off without really asking my boss, because quite frankly meh. I wasn't about to blow that much money to to screw it up and nobody should if they can avoid it.

Let's not forget that you really can't do ANYTHING else while studying for the bar, because it's about 40,000 pages of material you need to know and that job you desperately need after law school, good luck hunting for that, because EVEN AFTER you take the bar exam in July, they literally do not tell you if you passed until Late October/early November. No one will hire you during this period, practically, because things are nuts. You're gonna get the dreaded "overqualified" for most jobs. Then of course you can't work as a lawyer yet, because you don't know if you passed or failed the bar. Finally they won't hire you as a clerk in case you passed the bar and they think you'll split to look for greener pastures that sadly don't exist right now. It's a trifecta crapshoot.

So the answer is easily $10,000 and very possibly more depending upon how you look at it in direct costs alone. Nevermind what law school costs.

None of you should ever go to law school, it is a rip off. Between things like this, malpractice insurance, and student loans, that's why lawyers have to charge so damn much.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47582 on: June 04, 2012, 10:56:26 pm »

I stepped in a dead rabbit on our lawn today. And I mean IN, it had been dead for a while.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #47583 on: June 04, 2012, 11:16:54 pm »

Yikes, 10k for the chance to fail a test is frankly goddamn ridiculous. I'm now idly wondering how long you could support yourself and possibly a family by just keeping the money you'd spend on that and law school itself. Seems almost like a literal no-win situation for a majority or large minority of aspirants, which is just strange. Or at least that, financially, most aspiring law students would be better off aiming for a more stable employment area with a lower (and especially less costly) barrier to entry.

I'm incredibly well aware that actual legal work is a helluva' skillset and proper training understandably costly, but something about the general situation screams intentional inefficiency (to artificially drive up costs and get someone excessive profits) to me.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47584 on: June 04, 2012, 11:18:26 pm »

I feel better about medical school now. >->
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47585 on: June 04, 2012, 11:23:05 pm »

Truean, there's something I've been wondering about for a while about that malpractice insurance thing and clients not paying.
Is it possible to sell the debt to a debt collection agency whenever someone refuses to pay you? It sounds like you might be able to avoid the rise in malpractice insurance even if you don't get all the money... I dunno, probably a bad idea for reasons I don't actually know about.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #47586 on: June 05, 2012, 10:35:31 am »

I feel better about medical school now. >->
HAHAHAHAHAHA OH WOW!

(No, really, it ain't any better :p)

(PD: Ok, I'll grant you that after a certain point things *are* somewhat easier for MDs than for lawyers -eg: easier to get a job-, but not much.)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #47587 on: June 05, 2012, 10:57:58 am »

Spent most of this past weekend sick. Spent most of the weekend before that sick. Stayed home from work yesterday sick.
And by "sick", I mean "Any food that enters my body exits it rapidly shortly thereafter, in various directions."

Been subsisting mostly on yogurt, Jello, chicken soup and Gatorade for over a week. So yesterday I figure "hey, at least I've lost some weight".
Go to measure myself....no change. Might even have gained a pound or two. WTF, body?

I've come to realize that with my skeletal structure, my "healthy weight" is about 15-20 pounds lighter than what the charts would indicate based on height. And it just isn't going away. This is tough for me to deal with, because most of my life I had the opposite problem....couldn't gain weight if my life depended on it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47588 on: June 05, 2012, 11:23:55 am »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:39:41 am by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47589 on: June 05, 2012, 12:06:01 pm »

Interestingly, Vermont seems to be one of three states that doesn't require you to go to law school to take the bar.

It's also one of three states to REQUIRE you to complete an apprenticeship under a judge or lawyer to do so.

Other interesting facts:
People have been denied entrance to the bar due to "excessive indebtedness" they managed to get from law school. Women have been denied for "cohabitating" (though this practice is at least discontinued)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47590 on: June 05, 2012, 12:49:15 pm »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:38:25 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47591 on: June 05, 2012, 12:51:03 pm »

Do you have to pass the bar to practice law at all? Obviously you can always defend yourself, right? Are you allowed to defend a friend for free, is that illegal?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47592 on: June 05, 2012, 01:38:37 pm »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:38:00 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47593 on: June 05, 2012, 01:51:12 pm »

That's the risk you take by letting your "friend" be your lawyer? I never said it was a particularly good idea.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47594 on: June 05, 2012, 02:34:32 pm »

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 12:37:40 am by Truean »

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 3171 3172 [3173] 3174 3175 ... 8166