Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3131 3132 [3133] 3134 3135 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9427815 times)

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46980 on: May 21, 2012, 01:05:02 pm »

The NHS still costs me around £125 a month... $200? How much does medical insurance in the US cost per month?
This is a blank sig.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46981 on: May 21, 2012, 01:07:01 pm »

Frankly, I think the country is in a slow-motion death spiral. Nobody can afford anything anymore, because the people who provide it have to spend too much to make it available.

Legal services and medical services are expensive because lawyers and doctors rack up insane education expenses.
Food is too expensive because more and more of it is imported and/or the end product of a crazy long production-chain.
People have to demand higher salaries because of the cost of living, but aren't getting them. Look at me: I don't care about getting rich. I just want the bills paid. Unfortunately, that means I pretty much can't take a job for less than $40-50K/yr, because of the cost of childcare, insurance, etc.

This means that my chances to do what I actually want to do for living are miniscule. Nobody's going to pay me that much without years of experience. Add to that that I'd likely need to move the family to D.C., and I really couldn't take anything below $60K/yr. And we're one of the better cases...our mortgage is quite affordable, we have no car payments, and my student loan isn't that bad. But that $30K in debt I racked up getting a Master's Degree? HUGE mistake. My master's isn't worth the paper it's printed on. It's a fucking cerebral hood ornament.

Part of me just wants to say "All of this can go fuck itself", find a quiet piece of land somewhere, and just do subsistence farming and try to enjoy the years I have left.

^^^
Basically, this.

[rant]
Add to that malpractice insurance (I dunno why it's high; All the BS "malpractice" attempts to not pay me got laughed out of court), commercial office rent, marketing, Licensing fees to the state, continuing education expenses, ink, paper, etc.... It's just nuts. Then there's student loans....

There's a massive disconnect between consumers and providers of professional services, engineered by people who are so rich they don't care.
The consumers and providers are actually on the same page, but "divide and conquer...." It's odd how there are just two different mindsets. People think I'm "expensive" and "they work hard for their money," which implies that I don't.... I can't help but think they don't get it. They work only 40 hours/week. I do 60 minimum, 7 days a week. They don't pay for the desk/chair/office furniture, office rent, advertising, office supplies, insurance, office phone bill, office internet bill, office electricity, office gas, office repairs, and they have no CLUE how to go out fishing for clients. It's actually sort of a luxury to have a job where you don't have to sell yourself constantly (with the associated downtime, cause you're not getting paid while fishing for clients). At the same time, the super rich people are laughing at both of us, cause we all owe them money somehow....

I swear, I found someone who knows how to do it, I met a Jewish Family that was really more of a dynasty via a classmate in law school. Together they have 15 wage earning family members in a 45 room mansion they all own together: pool tennis court,  Rather than move out, the kids just stay there and the family buys an investment property so somebody else pays them rent to live there. They have 50 such properties currently. The have accountants, lawyers, deli workers, a mechanic, factory workers, and various other professions living together under that large impressive roof while raking in rental money from other people. After some time, some of the people eventually move out, but only after years and years of not paying rent to a landlord. Let's say this saves them $800/month or roughly $9600/year, while they live in that family home. Multiply that out a few years and you can see where they get a down payment for a house of their own.

No idea why some people don't like the Jews. With two notable exceptions, I've liked all the ones I've met and think they have their act together. If my family wasn't composed entirely of crazy people who hate gays and transgendered people, I'd do this and save the whole lot of us if possible.
[rant/]

I just want to pay off this fucking loan. $800 dollars a month in student loans. Guh.

I don't even know what I want out of life anymore, though. I'm just going through the motions. Once I pay off the student loan, at least my costs will be minimal. Except the stupid bullshit healthcare law that means I have to buy insurance now, of course. So my dream of just throwing it all to the wind and going on walkabout is pretty much dead.

I was <-----> this close to finally freeing myself of these fucking shackles of monthly bills and having a bit of breathing room and now I'll never be able to. :/ So I'm going to end up working solely to pay off something the government if forcing me to buy.

Ah, well. Secondary plan is to save up enough money to get out of the country, so I guess that's what I'm doing now. But I know it's going to be too little, too late. I very much doubt I'm going to make it to the point where I get to see it.

I feel your pain, though only $800/month sounds nice from where I am.

The NHS still costs me around £125 a month... $200? How much does medical insurance in the US cost per month?

To buy a private plan? It's so expensive no one can really afford it. Thus, employers traditionally provided it. Except of course now they don't want to/don't feel like paying for it/sometimes actually can't pay for it. Self employed people have a hell of a time with this. I, for example, have no health insurance due to this.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #46982 on: May 21, 2012, 01:09:51 pm »

Politicians fucked everything up.
All they think about is getting re-elected and filling their pockets, they dont give a single shit about anybody else. unless that person can make sure they have more money and get re-elected.
Red, i agree with you.
Lets find atlantis and build a GODDAMN FARM on it.
I'm only relatively young, but i dont really look forward to the future...
As far as i can tell, the future is going to be a huge clusterfuck.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46983 on: May 21, 2012, 01:11:05 pm »

Truean, when does the "its illegal not to have health insurance" thing kick in, anyway?

And yeah, I can't imagine what your loans have gotta be like.

What's funny is that I'm actually getting paid way more than I want or need, and it's actually pretty stressful, and I actually DO kind of need it because of these stupid loans. (And the wife has a habit of spending more than she strictly needs to)

At least it means I can occasionally afford nice gifts for people, though I need to constantly trick them into accepting them. I'm sending my brother skydiving this weekend, for example. (I had to lie to my dad and tell him it was a free thing I won before he'd accept it last time)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:13:18 pm by GlyphGryph »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46984 on: May 21, 2012, 01:14:06 pm »

Depends on how many people you're covering, how old they are, what their state of health is, how much your employer is chippng in, your location, your line of work, the level of coverage you choose and how good a deal your HR department got. If you're buying directly as an individual consumer...it ain't cheap. $200/month would be your basic university student rate. If you're out of college and having to get something like COBRA coverage (what you use when you're between jobs because God help you if that coverage lapses), it could be $600/month.

The mandate requirement kicks in around 2014, IIRC. If it isn't struck down long before then, which I expect it to be. Personally, I'm not against the mandate if there's a reasonably-priced goverment option of last resort available.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46985 on: May 21, 2012, 01:15:57 pm »

To buy a private plan? It's so expensive no one can really afford it. Thus, employers traditionally provided it. Except of course now they don't want to/don't feel like paying for it/sometimes actually can't pay for it. Self employed people have a hell of a time with this. I, for example, have no health insurance due to this.

A quick wiki search led me to this... linked as its .svg and large, and not everyone loves a graph as much as me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Health_care_cost_rise.svg

Wow. Just wow. So here in the UK our universal healthcare costs far less in relative terms than your system? Im gonna stop complaining about my national insurance contributions from now on.
This is a blank sig.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46986 on: May 21, 2012, 01:16:50 pm »

But that's the thing - there is explicitly, codified in the law, no way for the government to offer said option. So... yeah. :/

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46987 on: May 21, 2012, 01:22:08 pm »

Wow. Just wow. So here in the UK our universal healthcare costs far less in relative terms than your system? Im gonna stop complaining about my national insurance contributions from now on.
Yeah... last time I checked (which was a while back, so maybe it's changed), by the numbers you guys get higher quality service as well.

US just isn't doing very well on pretty much any level in regards to health care, at least compared to the other first world countries.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46988 on: May 21, 2012, 01:25:26 pm »

I'd be willing to join you guys in your secession from society.

Strike the earth!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46989 on: May 21, 2012, 01:30:48 pm »

Y'know, I'd come along too, if only to get away from all the stupid. Living on some island in the Pacific or something like that might actually be nice.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46990 on: May 21, 2012, 01:31:08 pm »

Hey, we're slowly moving in that direction. We spent this weekend visiting folks in the area that raise small numbers of chickens. Our town is considering allowing backyard chickens, and we're all for it. Fresh daily eggs for chicken feed (literally)? Sign me up.

It's kinda hilarious....after centuries of farming and working hard to send successive generations off for a bit more schooling so that they could escape the drudgery of farming, my family managed to get me -- a technology worker with a master's degree. And what am I looking to do? Go back to farming.  :P

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #46991 on: May 21, 2012, 01:32:53 pm »

My cobra insurance was going to be over $1000 a month after I got laid off in Sept '08. At the time, that was more than my rent, food and electricity combined.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46992 on: May 21, 2012, 01:34:01 pm »

A quick wiki search led me to this... linked as its .svg and large, and not everyone loves a graph as much as me.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Health_care_cost_rise.svg

Oh, oh, that's nothing. Nothing at all. The insurance doesn't cover everything, so you have co pays, which can be massive in certain instances which are not uncommon. Additionally there are "in network" and "out of network" hospitals and doctors where you are or are not covered (either entirely or to degrees). Then, there's the old people who are sucking up everything and complaining about it, because "I paid taxes for this." No, no they didn't because nursing home care costs between $8,000-$10,000/month and they certainly didn't pay that much in taxes and because of that the government will take your assets, and after you die even your home if you don't squeeze through one of the loopholes to pay back the state for the medical bills. As for "quality," that's relative and to a large extent, just sales talk. System is broken and all this talk of "choice" in medical anything in the US is an illusion.

That's even if you have insurance at all.

Medical bankruptcy is a thing here.... A big thing....

I'd rather be in Canada, for numerous reasons honestly: gay/transgender friendly, they pay for the surgery to transition, sane health care, etc.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 01:44:04 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46993 on: May 21, 2012, 01:43:57 pm »

I never knew Korea's insurance was so relatively cheap before I came here.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #46994 on: May 21, 2012, 01:48:43 pm »

. So here in the UK our universal healthcare costs far less in relative terms than your system? Im gonna stop complaining about my national insurance contributions from now on.
As a rule of thumb in cost effectiveness of national healthcare systems: Public Healthcare > Social Security Insurance > Private insurance.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 3131 3132 [3133] 3134 3135 ... 8167