Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3124 3125 [3126] 3127 3128 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9424227 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46875 on: May 18, 2012, 03:24:30 am »

Stop scheming so much, then? Unless you have a case of chronic supervillainy.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46876 on: May 18, 2012, 03:28:50 am »

chronic supervillainy.
This. So far, I've devised a plan to rob a bank, spam tons of people, SE my way into company buildings, hack my school network, actually built the scripts to do it, created a get rich quick crappy ebook, made several aliases with rather large backgrounds, and devised a plan to blackmail people. This is within the last six months.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46877 on: May 18, 2012, 03:41:48 am »

Go through with the ebook plan. It's the most evil and ironically legal.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46878 on: May 18, 2012, 04:15:10 am »

I'm doing a SEO'd blog on dogs first.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46879 on: May 18, 2012, 07:08:42 am »

Found out m'grandfather's still a bit more racist than I thought. Dammit, old people, why you say this shit? Doesn't help that it's outright heresy coming from a ostensibly (and otherwise, to a fair degree) Christian person.

Just another incentive to get the flying hell away from this town and my family and never see either again, I guess. Which is depressing. I'd rather have a degree of fondness of my blood but they don't make it easy.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46880 on: May 18, 2012, 08:14:12 am »

I've found distance can do great wonders for increasing fondness. You start to forget the bad stuff and just fuzzily remember the god.

It's best to maintain regular contact, though, to prevent your memories of the person from getting downright rosy.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #46881 on: May 18, 2012, 09:32:54 am »

Found out m'grandfather's still a bit more racist than I thought. Dammit, old people, why you say this shit? Doesn't help that it's outright heresy coming from a ostensibly (and otherwise, to a fair degree) Christian person.

Just another incentive to get the flying hell away from this town and my family and never see either again, I guess. Which is depressing. I'd rather have a degree of fondness of my blood but they don't make it easy.
I kind of decided that old people get "extenutating cirumstances" consideration when it comes to that sort of thing. My grandfather was a kind-hearted, generous man who always tried to lend a hand. And he was racist. Not in a scary white supremacy kind of way...he strongly disliked the Klan. But just in a generalized "they should keep to themselves and us to ourselves" kind of way.

I used to argue with him rather vociferously on this, but one day it dawned on me that when he was born and growing up, black people still weren't even allowed to eat at the same table with white people or use the same drinking fountains. Making the leap of acceptance from there to interracial marriage is a LOT to ask of a man with a 6th-grade education.  :-\

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46882 on: May 18, 2012, 10:13:06 am »

Nah, that's primarily why I've not been arguing voraciously with 'im over the years. He's basically in the same position (though a fair bit better educated -- some college schooling but no degree) as you mentioned (and it doesn't help that his father was about a quarter-step away from a slave owner :-\), but... ehn. There's just certain stuff I have trouble stomaching.

The specific content was talking about a Caucasian lady who'd had some trouble in her past, when th'papa mention she'd "took up with a <obvious slur>" and his sister in law mentioning that the lady had "got what she deserved" (followed by laughter of all fucking things by the people conversing) which... kinda' infuriated me. One of those "If I wasn't so damn familiar with shutting down an anger response, there would have been issues" kinda' things. Was in other room, though, so I just slapped my earmuff things back on my head and stayed out of it, but... yeah. Yeah. This is from the same people that were discussing their church involvement shortly after. The sheer cognitive dissonance involved just...

Tweaks too many buttons, and I tend to react to infuriating things I can't do anything about with avoidance.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46883 on: May 18, 2012, 11:35:38 am »

Oh my god, I never thought I'd say this, but Half-Life 2 feels like it was made by some talented asshole with Gary's Mod. I shouldn't get this fucking mad at a game, but all I want are a few goddamn things that seem really obvious to me, but apparently not to the developers.

Like, say, I want to make my human companions just shut up. Just shut the fuck up. Don't remind me to reload, stop getting in my way, don't warn me of enemies, don't be always yelling about following me and stop getting in my way. I can't even kill these guys fast enough, I get more around every corner. Goddamnit I want Sheva back.

All I want is to have a "go to gravity gun" button, not double tapping 1 because that's just ever so slightly too slow and awkward for me to do in the heat of battle, and I want to toss a grenade back at an enemy. Cause lord knows I can't dodge because Gordon can't take a hit, and he gets tripped up on the smallest obstacle and everybody just keeps getting in his way. Just being able to map to individual weapons would be amazing instead of "weapon categories" which is fucking stupid because now I have alot of worthless weapons I just plain don't want to use cluttering my inventory!

and while I really love the WORLD Of Half-Life 2, it's really creative and you can tell alot of love went into the story design, my suspension of disbelief gets punched in the face with the incredibly asinine level design every single step of the way. Creative thinking is stifled so often it's absurd, either a strategy is pushed into your face and you're forced to use it, or it's swatted out of your hands as the game looks at your like you're stupid... And calls you stupid by constantly reminding you of the correct way of doing things.

And gameplay itself is just not satisfying. Just the mechanics don't lend themselves to giving you an actual sense of strength or power, your character and everything really just has this weightless floaty feel to it, when you shoot a gun it doesn't have recoil or muzzle flare and they all make dull redundant shooting noises, explosions (every explosion, regardless of source) has this dull, unsatisfying sound, and Gordon himself can't punch or push, or even take a hit! The areas are designed to shove health kits and armor down your throat at every turn just because your character is made of paper and has to hide like a coward in every fight. The only saving grace was the Gravity Gun, which zaps objects with a satisfying THUD and that's why I want to use it at every turn, cause it's the only weapon that's satisfying to use!.. BUT YOU CAN'T because the only thing it's strong against are zombies, which are only a threat if they take you by surprise.

Actually, now that I think about it, alot of those problems are endemic to every fps, probably why I don't indulge in them too often.

Man, I don't remember HL2 getting me so upset.

/venting

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46884 on: May 18, 2012, 02:00:49 pm »

Doesn't G take out your gravity gun?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #46885 on: May 18, 2012, 02:09:36 pm »

Why not catch public transport to a local park once or twice a week and walk around it multiple times?
I may try that, I dunno if we even have parks in this area.  And the nearest bus stop is easily a mile away on foot :/  Maybe I should drive to nearby parks to exercise, ha.

edit: er I should I say I went for jog anyway along the roads, and it felt kinda nice.  Did some pushups, tried situps and could manage a single one yet.  But I will get in shape again.  I really don't want to suffer from heart disease or whatever later on.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46886 on: May 18, 2012, 03:05:10 pm »

Apparently I'm getting pretty bad references from my manager here.

(Before you ask, I'm waiting for something to compile right now.)

I suddenly feel really sick, because several jobs that looked like sure things (and other team managers who liked me) have just fallen apart completely because of this.  Damn it.  Only one week left on my contract, and then I'm boned...I need the rent money, we don't have anything saved.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46887 on: May 18, 2012, 03:34:56 pm »

When I visited my grandmother a while back she talked about how there were "too many nationalities", and how she wished they'd at least speak English when they're in England. Which as racism goes isn't too bad...

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #46888 on: May 18, 2012, 04:57:32 pm »

That's not racism, methinks. o_O It sounds pretty mild.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46889 on: May 18, 2012, 04:58:41 pm »

To be fair, the world might work a bit better if everyone spoke the same language. Then again, it might work worse too.
Pages: 1 ... 3124 3125 [3126] 3127 3128 ... 8167