Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3119 3120 [3121] 3122 3123 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9429359 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46800 on: May 15, 2012, 03:42:41 pm »

See my edit: Even if you can't do anything immediately, for obvious reasons, find a way to document the fact. Hell, some employers might even let you. Then you'll be able to use it to (hopefully) get the money back should you lose the job or find a better one.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46801 on: May 15, 2012, 03:59:56 pm »

However, most employees have little or no recourse against employers who have underhanded or illegal policies. Couple that with the fact that work is rare right now, and you have an employment atmosphere that is packed with these types of situations.

^^^
This.

It probably is illegal and a violation of federal wage and hour laws, but nobody's hiring so.... It's about remedies to wrongs and there not practically being any.... Regardless, he could just lower everyone's pay and or fire 'em

The good news is I found an old house that looks really nice (like with columns out front) where I can rent an office with full conference room access for $125/month with electric and gas included. I'd just have to pay for phone and internet. It's a little out of the way, but it looks nice and it's cheap. (God damn clients want you to have a palace that's convenient for them to drive to for an office but they don't wanna pay anything, much less cover the rent...).

[justified rant]
In other news I bought a Post Office Box because somebody else's pissed off Ex husband tried to kick my ass again for making him pay spousal and child support. O sure, blame the lawyer.... It isn't that you married some girl for 10 years had two kids and cheated with another girl while treating them like crap. Na, clearly it's the bastard who was just doing a job (me). You know what? I keep hearing about how expensive divorces are. Bullshit. I am sick and tired of having people try to kick my ass because I did my job and got spousal support outta them. I didn't marry your freaking ex wife damn it.... [/justified rant]
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46802 on: May 15, 2012, 05:54:03 pm »

Truean, you should get a plaque for your kick-ass new office (REALLY? 125 a MONTH? Fuck WORKING there, I'd move in!) that says "[Truean], Drunken Ninja Attorney at Law"

... Probably want to keep the Drunken part off... For P.R. reasons.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46803 on: May 15, 2012, 06:02:53 pm »

However, most employees have little or no recourse against employers who have underhanded or illegal policies. Couple that with the fact that work is rare right now, and you have an employment atmosphere that is packed with these types of situations.

Precisely. I was given two offences and laid off (in this case, it was a forcible transfer to a difficult to staff department where the contractual payscale is of somewhat dubious legality) because I had the audacity to tell another employee, whom had cornered me and had been shouting and swearing at me for almost two minutes to calm down. (Admittedly, my wording was somewhat stronger, and my Command voice is loud and quite forceful, but there was a supervisor less than five feet away doing nothing about it.) The union rolled over like a kitten wanting a belly rub.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46805 on: May 15, 2012, 06:51:34 pm »

Truean, you should get a plaque for your kick-ass new office (REALLY? 125 a MONTH? Fuck WORKING there, I'd move in!) that says "[Truean], Drunken Ninja Attorney at Law"

... Probably want to keep the Drunken part off... For P.R. reasons.

This is the thing that needs to happen from this foreclosure crisis. They got the building for a song.... If they have 8 offices at $125/month, and 2 at $300/month.... That means they have $1600/month gross. I'm betting the mortgage and expenses are perhaps $1200 at most/month. [sigh] It's perhaps one of the only good things I've seen lately. Even if it is a little room and might or might not have a window (probably won't), it means going out on my own. This is scary as hell. Part of me would live there if I could. [sigh]
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:53:17 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46806 on: May 15, 2012, 07:37:45 pm »

The union rolled over like a kitten wanting a belly rub.
Every union I've been part of has been absolutely worthless. The only good ones around here are the Auto Workers' and the Machinists'.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #46807 on: May 15, 2012, 07:41:03 pm »

Ugh, I made a painful cut on my foot. This is going to hurt tomorrow.

Also I lost this month's rotation paper
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #46808 on: May 15, 2012, 07:54:57 pm »

Truean, if you need dryly humorless office posters, why not one that says "You don't have to be crazy to work here, but it provides legal recourse!"
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46809 on: May 15, 2012, 07:57:34 pm »

Every union I've been part of has been absolutely worthless. The only good ones around here are the Auto Workers' and the Machinists'.

Oh screw your auto workers' union.  Screw them hard.  For some unknown reason, THEY control the student-teachers at my old university.  Their policies are completely unsuited for the job, and they are downright nasty people.  I chose not to join the union--it's optional--but their contract with the school requires even non-union members to pay them a (smaller) chunk of their paycheck!!  Also, they used to send someone around after my classes to 'talk' to me about joining the union.  For reasons like...the Union makes sure that my job is protected, and if I'm not in the union then well, there wouldn't be any recourse if something happened to it.

I firmly believe that unions are important, and that unionization is an important right.  But the balance of power swings between companies and unions, and right now it's a /little/ far in the side of the unions...in some fields.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46810 on: May 15, 2012, 07:59:05 pm »

So the auto union in your area is racketeering?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46811 on: May 15, 2012, 07:59:19 pm »

Oh, I never said that I like them. In fact, I'm waiting for a president to get on the teevee and fire everyone in it, just like what happened with air traffic controllers. All I was saying is that those two unions are the only local ones that will stand up for the workers that they're supposedly representing.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46812 on: May 15, 2012, 07:59:56 pm »

The insulators and the UFCW are pretty good. The really bad ones around here are the Teamsters (which at least keep a law firm on retainer and cover most legal expenses for members, along with providing banking services through a credit union), and the tobacco growers union (which also covers bakery workers for some reason.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46813 on: May 15, 2012, 08:01:05 pm »

Oh, I never said that I like them. In fact, I'm waiting for a president to get on the teevee and fire everyone in it, just like what happened with air traffic controllers. All I was saying is that those two unions are the only local ones that will stand up for the workers that they're supposedly representing.
Ah, that's the difference between your auto workers' union and mine.  Yours has a benefit to its members.

That job was years ago though.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46814 on: May 15, 2012, 08:02:53 pm »

They do provide benefits for their employees, but their stranglehold on the workers of the area is driving businesses out in a hurry, and has been for a while.

Pages: 1 ... 3119 3120 [3121] 3122 3123 ... 8167