Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3082 3083 [3084] 3085 3086 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9465989 times)

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46245 on: April 30, 2012, 02:56:28 pm »

After thoroughly enjoying Batman, so far I'm quite disappointed with Justice League. It's like they pulled out all the B and C plots from the various comics. Last episode I saw was them saving Gorilla City (filled with talking gorillas, natch) from a gorilla supervillain with mind control.

I'm hoping it gets better. I've seen some decent clips from the show; I guess I just have to get past all the crappy stories with aliens and Aquaman and shit. Well Aquaman was kinda cool, cutting off his own arm and all, but the plot in that one was still boring. Also the entire show definitely needs more Batman.

Super Gorilla Grod I believe; as mentioned in "Angel and The Ape"
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46246 on: April 30, 2012, 03:56:22 pm »

My car battery is dead, and it's raining pretty hard out there. I want to hook up the charger, but I'm very experienced in electrical shocks as it sits. I'd rather not get more.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46247 on: April 30, 2012, 04:14:21 pm »

My car battery is dead, and it's raining pretty hard out there. I want to hook up the charger, but I'm very experienced in electrical shocks as it sits. I'd rather not get more.
Wear some gloves

Yannanth

« Reply #46248 on: April 30, 2012, 04:51:45 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:28:28 pm by Yannanth »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #46249 on: April 30, 2012, 05:39:32 pm »

Trying to learn all of the hiragana by heart. Playing through a Memorization game on the DS:

Me: I Just can't remember what this one character is. Brain, gimme the answer!

Brain: Sorry bro, I'm full of fuck.
Next challenge: the entirety of the Glorious Qu'ran. 8)
Whilst you're upside down. Reading it through a mirror. GG.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46250 on: April 30, 2012, 06:20:48 pm »

Yep, sounds about right.

On the bright side, one episode pair actually got a response from me other than boredom: alternate universe one filled with silver age superhero parodies. They really fumbled with the premise, as is usual with Justice League it seems, but they did well enough to make me a bit sad at the end.

I get the feeling the producers were aiming at two groups: kids who will be distracted by shiny explosions and people getting their face punched in, and long time comic book fans who already know and care about the various characters. I fit into neither one.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46251 on: April 30, 2012, 06:59:18 pm »

He didn't put her name on it though, it's one of those things where he said something along the lines of "People shouldn't do things if they don't know the whole story and if they do they should go kill themselves." He probably learned from the last time when I sent in an edited picture of a teacher to the vice-principal. I will likely try anyways, he's blocked me on Facebook but his page is public so I just have to log into my brother's account to see it.
Send a carbon copy of it to the police and your local child protection agency. Jailtime and mandatory therapy is the least this guy deserves.

So now I have a free week off I guess.  Busy as all hell at the shop, so I'm pretty sure this is the worst time to give half the tech staff a week off.  But I guess it's his decision.  Would have been happier if we would have just laughed it off like we usually do when something like that happens, instead of things becoming all insubordination-y.
Sounds like he was the one who was overly stressed. You might want to bring that up with him when he's cooled down, especially if you're losing pay.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46252 on: April 30, 2012, 07:04:01 pm »

He didn't put her name on it though, it's one of those things where he said something along the lines of "People shouldn't do things if they don't know the whole story and if they do they should go kill themselves."

"But I don't know what being dead is like, so I don't know the whole story, and you said people shouldn't do things if they don't know the whole story! :'("
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46253 on: April 30, 2012, 07:32:28 pm »

Everyone who is friends with me has defriended this kid on Facebook, so now I have to either ask someone who I'm not close friends with (and the only person I know is one who said she doesn't want to take sides), or get one of my best friends to be a sneaky spy, which isn't too nice either :(

Apparently the post was not actually public, or he changed it or something to show only to friends now. :/
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #46254 on: May 01, 2012, 12:18:36 am »

Yep, sounds about right.

On the bright side, one episode pair actually got a response from me other than boredom: alternate universe one filled with silver age superhero parodies. They really fumbled with the premise, as is usual with Justice League it seems, but they did well enough to make me a bit sad at the end.

I get the feeling the producers were aiming at two groups: kids who will be distracted by shiny explosions and people getting their face punched in, and long time comic book fans who already know and care about the various characters. I fit into neither one.

How can you not like justice league? It is literally the best thing to come out of DC in years.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46255 on: May 01, 2012, 01:03:24 am »

And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #46256 on: May 01, 2012, 02:14:10 am »

Loki was a pretty terrible villain.  He was far from the only problem with that movie, but yeah... pretty bad.  I'm not happy about him being the villain in the Avengers movie, which otherwise looks like some good lighthearted action special effects fun stuff.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46257 on: May 01, 2012, 02:53:32 am »

The site hosting my MUSH suddenly decided not to be in business any more.  We scrambled to host it somewhere else, but our last backups were from a week ago.  Since it's just roleplaying (not monster-slaying), there's no hard work lost...but new players won't be happy that they have to recreate their characters and retype their descriptions.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46258 on: May 01, 2012, 03:37:23 am »

Loki was a pretty terrible villain.  He was far from the only problem with that movie, but yeah... pretty bad.  I'm not happy about him being the villain in the Avengers movie, which otherwise looks like some good lighthearted action special effects fun stuff.
I suppose its a central problem of the premise, but another thing that bothered me about the movie was the timescales involved.
Loki and Thor have been princes for thousands of years. During that time I would expect they would have figured most of the stuff that was covered in the movie, and more importantly, their personalities would probably be hardly encoded enough that a year would be pretty minor to them, no matter what they went through.
Instead they act like 20 year olds, with malleable personalities, and not like people that have had hundreds of years to perfect everything they do and having personalities that are rigid with the weight of millenia.

And again, Loki. I honestly think that over thousands of years his companions and his brother would have noticed how slimy he is. The only other possibility is that he was completely honest and a nice guy for 2000 years, and then suddenly became evil, but that seems pretty crazy to me (although it does explain how terrible he is at lies).
Hopefully he will be a better villain there, since he has 5 super heroes to outsmart and overpower for the first half of the movie (although at the end they will of course obligatorily crush him).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #46259 on: May 01, 2012, 04:21:16 am »

That's a problem in general with ancient immortal characters.  It's not very realistic for them to actually develop in the course of the story.  They can still have tons of interesting history to reveal and stuff, but they should really be portrayed as a sort of force of nature within a setting, not as central characters.  Of course, you just have to forgive a lot of stuff like that when it comes to campy mainstream superheros.

Although, in Loki's case, assuming I'm remembering the story correctly, perhaps this is actually why he reacted the way he did to learning stuff about his personal history that had been hidden from him for so long.  I had trouble appreciating him, because his reactions to things just made him seem pathetically emotionally fragile.  I suppose it's somewhat more understandable that after having thousands of years to ridigly solidify his own persona, it could be shattered by personal revelations coupled with a drastic change in dynamic with his brother all at the same time.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 3082 3083 [3084] 3085 3086 ... 8167