Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3068 3069 [3070] 3071 3072 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448905 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #46035 on: April 25, 2012, 08:48:03 am »

People use less than 50 posts/page?

...Why?

Because I read the homestuck thread, and even at 25/page I occasionally get two artdumps close enough together, which means my browser crashes and I need to forever remember to avoid that page.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #46036 on: April 25, 2012, 09:45:45 am »

some idiots restarted their nightly pranks on my doorstep.
it's an apartment complex, so they actually act on the door to the streets, and not actually the door to my apartment. However we are pretty sure it's people my brother used to know (ex classmates). It saddens me that there is going to be a lawsuit filled against *unknown* for vandalism and the like, when being in italy means it will simply pass three to four years of nothing. and with proofs it would still be two to three years of nothing.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46037 on: April 25, 2012, 10:15:29 am »

Damn it I am such a fucking idiot.
In my engineering class, there way a fairly small (worth two homeworks of points) group project near the end of the semester involving designing a bridge and modeling it in Matlab. I was late in joining a group, so I ended up joining a group with two other students who had taken the class before and failed the previous time (which I never thought to think much about). They had already done the project, and wanted to reuse their old model. One of the stupidest parts of the whole thing is that I had made my own model and gotten it to mostly work, but I couldn't get it quite right, and the deadline was close so I just decided to go with theirs. Like an idiot, I never even thought that reusing the model was cheating until our group got caught (the other group members had said something about modifying his, but never actually did). So now I am automatically down a grade in the class, will get expelled if something like this comes up again, was close to getting failed entirely, and it is my fault for being too goddamn lazy to think about things just a little bit more, or putting in just the miniscule amount of additional effort to tell the group to use my model (which was abut as good as theirs, which also had some problems).
Part of what depresses me is I feel like I will get over this soon, but I don't feel like I should get over it so quickly. There are times when I really hate myself.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46038 on: April 25, 2012, 11:27:46 am »

Well, hating yourself is a great way to not improve at all.

Take that energy, and put it towards being conscious of what you're doing in the future. Forgive yourself, but hold yourself to whatever standards you wish your past self had upheld.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46039 on: April 25, 2012, 11:39:25 am »

Turns out that because I'm so underqualified, that job offer was retracted. ;_; So much for that.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #46040 on: April 25, 2012, 12:04:36 pm »

Take that energy, and put it towards being conscious of what you're doing in the future. Forgive yourself, but hold yourself to whatever standards you wish your past self had upheld.
I never seem to be able to make improving myself work. I am constantly making plans for how to do better in the future, then failing to meet those plans. I go through cycles of depression and overconfidence, but nothing gets done between them. No matter how many times I deceive myself and regret it later, I end up fooling myself the same way again and again endlessly.
I don't feel like I would cheat on something again, but that is no comfort, because if you had asked me beforehand I would have sincerely believed that I would definately not cheat on a project. Given the above, I don't feel like I have any way of knowing that something like this won't happen again.
Soaplent green is goblins!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46041 on: April 25, 2012, 12:46:03 pm »

It doesn't sound you thought you were cheating when you did it, though. It sounds like a legitimate mistake. It probably won't do much good, but I would recommend trying to approach the teacher with your own model that you had wanted to use instead. It may not get you any points back, but don't try for points - rather, focus on earning back a bit of respect, both from the teacher and from yourself.

You made a mistake - you learned a hard lesson. But mistakes are fundamental to learning. Don't ask what you lost from all of this, and don't let it shake your confidence in yourself. Rather, ask what you gained:

You said you didn't think you would cheat, previously. Knowing what you know now, you'd go back and do it differently. You have become a person who will succeed in a situation where your passed self failed, because they were naive and lazy. You are probably still both, of course, but hopefully less so!

And you DID the work. That's not something you can let anyone take away from you - even if it wasn't perfect, it sounded like you practically did it on your own, and that counts for something.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46042 on: April 25, 2012, 01:17:50 pm »

Those god damn kids put Graffiti on the brick walls of the building I wanna rent, renovate and possibly buy later.

Fucking....

Honestly that just pisses me off. I'm trying to build a business and actually breathe some fucking life back into this place and of course, I get this bullshit.... Think about clients and customers coming from other places, dare I say people with some money.... Yeah, they don't wanna see that shit and they don't feel comfortable around it.

Moreover, my being pissed off, I don't wanna renovate a building including spending money on tearing down and building up walls and shit. God damn it, I'm not going to invest in a place that is going to be vandalized.

Fucking.... I am trying to lift this ghost town of a main street with the corpses of abandoned buildings littering both sides out of nothing and people are not making it easy.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #46043 on: April 25, 2012, 01:18:14 pm »

I'm having a discussion about how much I hate the internet despite being on it constantly.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #46044 on: April 25, 2012, 01:56:21 pm »

I mentioned in a work meeting the other week that I have the opinion that the Web is just a fad, and in a few year we'll look back on it like Hula Hoops and Disco.

(I work for a major software company on a huge international suite of web applications)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #46045 on: April 25, 2012, 02:01:39 pm »

Sounds like an invitation to see how welcoming a competitor might be.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #46046 on: April 25, 2012, 02:03:17 pm »

Unfortunately the internet is a massive time killer where nothing gets done. I mean that also in the sense that people aren't really fulfilled by it, which is sad. Most people don't really have fun online, they just sorta veg out and while away the hours and are still damn depressed.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46047 on: April 25, 2012, 02:38:25 pm »

So its the new TV?

Also, I'm really not sure how good an idea it is to get worked up about a bit of graffiti on a place you plan to renovate anyways. Sure, it's annoying, but it's just a bit of paint - and from the way you describe it, it doesn't sound super common, or like they're going to be breaking shit or throwing bricks through windows or anything.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #46048 on: April 25, 2012, 02:40:51 pm »

Laid down for a bit around 8:30 am after helping someone out a bit. Next time I'm cognizant, it's a quarter 'till three. At least it's still the same day, but it's the second time in the last week or so I've slept >12 hours in a 24 hour period unintentionally. Bleh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #46049 on: April 25, 2012, 03:01:31 pm »

Those god damn kids put Graffiti on the brick walls of the building I wanna rent, renovate and possibly buy later.

Fucking....

Honestly that just pisses me off. I'm trying to build a business and actually breathe some fucking life back into this place and of course, I get this bullshit.... Think about clients and customers coming from other places, dare I say people with some money.... Yeah, they don't wanna see that shit and they don't feel comfortable around it.

Moreover, my being pissed off, I don't wanna renovate a building including spending money on tearing down and building up walls and shit. God damn it, I'm not going to invest in a place that is going to be vandalized.

Fucking.... I am trying to lift this ghost town of a main street with the corpses of abandoned buildings littering both sides out of nothing and people are not making it easy.
Track them down and pay them to do some painting for you. It's worked wonders for a number of small business owners around here.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 ... 3068 3069 [3070] 3071 3072 ... 8167