Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3046 3047 [3048] 3049 3050 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9446468 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45705 on: April 13, 2012, 04:03:09 pm »

I can remember being told that if you swear, it also counts against you.

probably made up bullshit, but still...

Sounds like bull (of course, if your inspector disapproves of swearing, not doing it might end up saving a borderline fail). Going into rage mode, on the other hand, is completely different. Swearing at your fellow drivers is baaad.

Seriously. There should be mood-o-meters installed in every cars, and everytime anyone goes all road rage they strip you of driving privileges forever. There's no worse or more dangerous driver than someone who can't keep calm.

...Damn, ninja'd.
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45706 on: April 13, 2012, 05:16:52 pm »

swearing with non-cuss words
...what?

Is there a difference between swears and cusses now? O.o

Unless you mean euphemisms, like gosh darn it to heck you friggin munch-a-crunch.

Yes I made up "munch-a-crunch."
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45707 on: April 13, 2012, 05:29:38 pm »

swearing with non-cuss words
...what?

Is there a difference between swears and cusses now? O.o

Unless you mean euphemisms, like gosh darn it to heck you friggin munch-a-crunch.

Yes I made up "munch-a-crunch."

I'm just imagining a three-way venn-diagram that has swears, cusses, and euphemisms with each their own circle, and in the center is the "Forbidden words"

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45708 on: April 13, 2012, 06:02:18 pm »

What's the difference between swear and "cuss" words, though?

Also, does one really spell it "cuss"? Not "curse"? "Cuss" seems so wrong. And darn-/heck-/fudge-ish.
Love, scriver~

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #45709 on: April 13, 2012, 06:05:08 pm »

I beat Mass Effect 2.  Thane, Legion, and Jack died.  I'm sad about Legion mainly, but Thane sucks too.  I hated Jack.
Shoes...

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #45710 on: April 13, 2012, 06:08:57 pm »

What's the difference between swear and "cuss" words, though?

Also, does one really spell it "cuss"? Not "curse"? "Cuss" seems so wrong. And darn-/heck-/fudge-ish.
Cuss is an Americanism, mostly used in the Southeast and West. It's just another way to say curse, really. As for the difference? There isn't really one unless you want to distinguish between profane expletives, like damn, and non-profane expletives, like darn. Personally, I call the former curse words and the latter plain ol' expletives.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #45711 on: April 13, 2012, 06:23:21 pm »

Being in the southern United States I can tell you there is no difference between curse and cuss whatsoever, at least in every day usage. I guess it's hard to have a southern drawl with some words so they just changed em.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45712 on: April 13, 2012, 08:28:10 pm »

I'm fucking scared. My friend has bulimia and I strongly suspect she's suicidal. I don't know how to get her help and I can't help her myself, no matter what I try, because I'm fucking 17 and therefore useless when it comes to problems as serious as this. She needs help and I can't be more than the person she uses for moral support and I don't know how to get her to a doctor. She hates herself, she never eats and she's dying, actually dying, from the stomach outward. I want to scream.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #45713 on: April 13, 2012, 08:39:15 pm »

Ok, so, so far people have picked 55 slots of the speciality I want to do. There are 1500 people more to choose, until my turn arrives. I hope we don't run out before then :(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #45714 on: April 13, 2012, 09:48:55 pm »

I'm fucking scared. My friend has bulimia and I strongly suspect she's suicidal. I don't know how to get her help and I can't help her myself, no matter what I try, because I'm fucking 17 and therefore useless when it comes to problems as serious as this. She needs help and I can't be more than the person she uses for moral support and I don't know how to get her to a doctor. She hates herself, she never eats and she's dying, actually dying, from the stomach outward. I want to scream.
Contact her parents.  Contact her school.  No really, adults actually care if you know for sure that she's dying.  There's a thing called an intervention in these cases because she can actually die.  You have options, don't despair.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45715 on: April 14, 2012, 01:32:35 am »

Yeah, I am going to do all that (although her parents are, I think, a bust, since I think she learned it off her mum. Certainly her mother knows she's bulimic and isn't doing much) it's just that she's so self destructive that I'm actually terrified. But if she let me know all this stuff, that's a pretty blatant cry for help, so I think it'll be okay. But Jesus, she's so intent on becoming anorexic that.
I don't know. I actually stopped midway through that sentence because I have legitimately no idea how to respond to this. Pass it off to a professional, that's what 'll do. My mother works in community health. There's ways. This is something I can help her with but fuck, I've never been so scared for a friend before.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45716 on: April 14, 2012, 02:05:36 am »

Hugs be unto Jackrabbit. Good luck. It's not a good place to be, for anyone concerned. Hope it turns out as well as it can.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #45717 on: April 14, 2012, 04:47:31 am »

Ok, my plan:

- If I do get a hematology slot (I should, in principle. Last three years I would have with my ranking): pick it, look into external rotations, and look on how much do they convalidate in the UK (with the idea of moving and finishing the speciality there.

- If not: pick Internal Medicine near home for a couple of months, then leave it and retake, possibly doing some volunteer work at an ambulance service, or something. Also, look at the same time at doing the speciality in the UK.

Statistics so far:
Two years ago there were two more slots than this year. By this time the same ammount of them had been picked as have been now. By the time my current number came up, four were left back then.

Last year there was one less slot than this year. By this time 6 less slots had been picked. By the time my current number came up, 5 slots were left.

Hmm.... (statistical psychosis-stage)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 08:02:24 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #45718 on: April 14, 2012, 10:59:11 am »

Worst first date ever. He put his hand down the back of my pants. I pointed my taser right on top of his crotch. He stopped and I ran. :(

My life would be so much easier if I liked girls. Gross sexual battery makes for a great night.... First date. Really?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:03:57 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #45719 on: April 14, 2012, 11:59:46 am »

D:

That's ... that's so... horrible? Bad luck?

(pats Truean)

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 ... 3046 3047 [3048] 3049 3050 ... 8167