Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3033 3034 [3035] 3036 3037 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443212 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45510 on: April 06, 2012, 07:55:22 am »

One of my friends can't figure out how to save a file I gave him the link for.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #45511 on: April 06, 2012, 12:01:20 pm »

Learning about stress induced immune system suppression the same day I do last minute work on a paper and then waking up sick the next morning. It really sucks when you realize that you're just a meatbag like everyone else.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #45512 on: April 06, 2012, 12:04:49 pm »

Depression is a lot more enjoyable than most other emotions.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #45513 on: April 06, 2012, 12:17:30 pm »

So, as usual in Easter, broadcast tv is plagued by movies about Jesus. On one hand this kind of sucks. On the other, it allows me to make near-constant Life-of-Brian puns
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45514 on: April 06, 2012, 12:45:40 pm »

Meanwhile, I'm hijacking Easter symbolism to make Homestuck references.

EDIT: Also, grarghble. Calculations suggest that if I can get all of my own loan payments suspended, I could feasibly switch to a 50% employment to support myself through grad school, but only if I can get the entirety of my tuition paid for by someone who isn't me. A combination of health problems every time I planned to get cracking on this, plus procrastination putting me in a situation where said problems are a serious problem, has left me well behind the curve on funding-seeking this year, as far as I can tell. So I'm going to have to pester the everloving crap out of professors for a teaching assistantship and hope I can somehow swing a tuition waiver as compensation. And that I can effectively work two part-time jobs while keeping up my previous levels of effectiveness at academia. I probably can, but there's a decent chance that I won't have time for my precious sanity-preserving hobbies.

And there's a lot more ifs in that paragraph than I'd like.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 01:04:42 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45515 on: April 06, 2012, 01:31:15 pm »

And in the meantime, your student loan interest will multiply like a nest of DF cats. Just sayin'.  :-\

I had to defer payments for a year after I got my Master's, and it tacked on several thousand dollars. Took me two and a half years just to get the principal down to the actual amount I borrowed. At this rate, I hope to have my student loans paid off by the time my kids go to college. Seriously.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45516 on: April 06, 2012, 01:44:11 pm »

Yeah, I've considered that as well. All-around, it's looking like an awful plan no matter what I can do, barring some sort of miracle that allows me to keep paying and still go to school (this would be like an assistantship that pays a stipend AND has a tuition waiver, but I'm no PhD student).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #45517 on: April 06, 2012, 01:57:38 pm »

So it turns out my finals overlap with the music festival, this wouldn't be so problematic if I passed all the midterms (or whatever the name is) in time as I would be able to skip them alltogether. Sadly the workload is such that combined with my laziness/procastrination it makes the task pretty much impossible :(

Worse yet the festival could serve as motivation, but it really isn't for some reason :S
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45518 on: April 06, 2012, 02:02:36 pm »

Somebody was offended by my language today.  :-\
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #45519 on: April 06, 2012, 02:07:50 pm »

Somebody was offended by my language today.  :-\
English? It's not that bad of a language. Some of us even speak it.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45520 on: April 06, 2012, 02:17:19 pm »

Shit man don't say stuff like that some of us our sensitive about it, we don't need our inability to use verbal language all pushed out into public like that.

God, it offends me SO much.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45521 on: April 06, 2012, 02:21:42 pm »

Also! If Twilkitri ever gets around to finishing his bug fixes for the next version of the translation patch*, I'm the reason Oifaye is being changed to Aoife. If you have any complaints about this, they're specifically to be directed at me, because I am the cause of what will likely be a storm of "What the hell, that's not the right way to translate that" that is sure to erupt from the fandom.

* Last release was 2006, and he's only really started working on it lately. Don't get your hopes up for a quick release on this.
I would say he enjoys making me a liar if it weren't for the fact that he is a robot.

I think this is a good excuse for you to play FE4 again, Josh.

I might actually have to play the game for maybe my 9th time if this is a complete translation. Fun fact: I've played the game from beginning to end maybe 8 times, but I've never seen the ending! It was never in any of the translations I played, so I always just had to accept that the characters were spittering gibberish at eachother and then going on their merry way as the last thing in the game.

I might have to replay the game just to get the taste of FE6 out of my mouth.

Looking at this list of 'improvements' though and I feel an awful lot of irrational disgust. I can understand making the conversations more grammatically correct, and I can even understand changing dragonknights to wyvern knights (seeing as how, in the FE universe, dragons are mythically powerful, world-ending creatures) but I can't see alot of the arbitrary name changes to match with 'standard' terminology. Everything in FE4 stands out as being unique and special in the FE universe, making it more similar to it's inferior brethren even in superficial ways just stands to make it a worse experience overall.

Wait, what? Serlis? That's just confusing.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #45522 on: April 06, 2012, 02:47:58 pm »

I expressed disgust with politics on slashdot and got 10 or so people saying "vote Ron Paul!".
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45523 on: April 06, 2012, 03:18:11 pm »

Wait, what? Serlis? That's just confusing.
Also, unfortunately, the latest official translation of the name. If a new official translation of the name comes out via all this FE13 press, he'll likely change it to whatever that is.

There is a rather heated debate going on in the thread based on some of these changes.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45524 on: April 06, 2012, 04:17:50 pm »

Last date to apply for university is coming up. Man, this is so hard.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 3033 3034 [3035] 3036 3037 ... 8167