Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3032 3033 [3034] 3035 3036 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9441492 times)

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45495 on: April 05, 2012, 03:30:19 pm »

I realized the house I am (hopefully) buying is a block from the water.

My first thought was. "I should get flood insurance!"

I am getting old.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #45496 on: April 05, 2012, 03:32:14 pm »

Co Worker has faith in humanity.... I don't. Client insists, "I'll just do it myself," in regards to the legal prep work for her civil case. [Female] Co Worker calls me in because client is not listening to her. I tell client flat out that she'll never be able to it. Client's response is to bet me cash that she can. My response, "Yeah, betting money against your own firm's client, that sounds ethical and not a conflict of interest that'd get be me disbarred...."  ::) So much to my dismay and against my advising her not to, client has insisted upon doing the prep work herself, because she's cheap and stupid. Stuff is due today at 5PM; client will not have it by today at 5PM. She's so screwed.... Discovery document requests are a bitch....

Co Worker: "It's 4:08 and we're at 3100 (pages) [sigh]. She's only forwarded another 200 in the 1.5 hours I've been gone. This is depressing."

Me: "Client needs another 1000 or 2000ish in about 40 minutes at most and that's if you don't review them huh? By the way review them.... Don't let stupid client goad you into malpractice...."

Co Worker: [cries a bit]

Me: Aww come on now.... Try not to murder her, but if you do I'll say she drove you insane :P.

God I hate people sometimes. Bank account balance does not equal IQ, or Ability....

It is too bad I work with Co Worker, or else we'd make great girlfriends. [shrugs, sighs]

Edit:

I am getting old smart.

Fixed that for you.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 03:35:06 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45497 on: April 05, 2012, 03:50:38 pm »

It probably just means you don't have the forum open in a browser when you're actively not reading it. Since that's likely where all my online time is from.
Same here.

I just keep Bay12 open when I'm browsing.

Same here.
And I keep the browser open while not being at the computer at all. As well as an open window on my phone, but I don't know if that adds. Anyway, the rest of it adds up.

I am getting old.

Swimmable water?

Co Worker has faith in humanity.... I don't. Client insists, "I'll just do it myself," in regards to the legal prep work for her civil case. [Female] Co Worker calls me in because client is not listening to her. I tell client flat out that she'll never be able to it. Client's response is to bet me cash that she can. My response, "Yeah, betting money against your own firm's client, that sounds ethical and not a conflict of interest that'd get be me disbarred...."  ::) So much to my dismay and against my advising her not to, client has insisted upon doing the prep work herself, because she's cheap and stupid. Stuff is due today at 5PM; client will not have it by today at 5PM. She's so screwed.... Discovery document requests are a bitch....

Co Worker: "It's 4:08 and we're at 3100 (pages) [sigh]. She's only forwarded another 200 in the 1.5 hours I've been gone. This is depressing."

Me: "Client needs another 1000 or 2000ish in about 40 minutes at most and that's if you don't review them huh? By the way review them.... Don't let stupid client goad you into malpractice...."

Me: Aww come on now.... Try not to murder her, but if you do I'll say she drove you insane :P.

God I hate people sometimes. Bank account balance does not equal IQ, or Ability....

It is too bad I work with Co Worker, or else we'd make great girlfriends. [shrugs, sighs]

...But what use is a lawyer if they don't do the lawyery stuff? What is client going to use coworker for if not the lawyery work? Isn't that the bigger waste of money?
Love, scriver~

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45498 on: April 05, 2012, 03:55:46 pm »

...But what use is a lawyer if they don't do the lawyery stuff? What is client going to use coworker for if not the lawyery work? Isn't that the bigger waste of money?

She disagrees on what is "lawyery" work. She did not believe this to be "lawyery" work and thus endeavored to to it herself. Basically she didn't want to pay for it to be done. She has chosen the harder lesson plan....

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #45499 on: April 05, 2012, 04:18:54 pm »

Swimmable water? Maybe, but I wouldn't make it a habit. Its a bayou wide and deep enough for boating that flows into a fairly still bay.

For swimmable water I would go to a gulf side beach where the water is amazingly great, that is probably a 20 to 30 minute drive.

I can't afford property over that way. Over there I would be looking at $200k and up even for tiny houses.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #45500 on: April 05, 2012, 04:34:01 pm »

As long as the water is reasonable unsewagey, it's swimable ;) Boating is even better though. And fishing! And sinking big rocks into the water so other ships wreck on them so you can plunder their goods!

...You need to build a lighthouse and start your own shipwrecking business now, Nadaka. I'd come over and join you, but I demand a fair share of the loot.
Love, scriver~

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #45501 on: April 05, 2012, 06:35:27 pm »

How do you even write 200 pages in 90 minutes? That's incredible. I can't imagine doing 5000 in a day.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45502 on: April 05, 2012, 06:45:58 pm »

How do you even write 200 pages in 90 minutes? That's incredible. I can't imagine doing 5000 in a day.

Well, for writing, I find it really helps to have a talk and type system.

Here, it isn't so much writing pages as looking through them and turning them over.

See, the other side has gone into "discovery" where they have requested production of documents (about a few thousand pages) by a certain deadline, in this case, emails, letters, etc, etc, etc. The job isn't writing the pages, it's sorting through them all, and determining which ones should be sent to the other side and which ones shouldn't be. You've also got to screen for any privileged information, etc. Imagine someone who never cleans out their email inbox..... yeah. Now imagine carefully rooting through those, setting them up for transfer, and transferring them. In this case we set up a separate email account to forward the requested emails (years of correspondence) to and will give the other side access on certain conditions, because they didn't seem to wanna deal with any other data transfer method (Winzip, etc). It's harder than it looks and now she's blown a deadline, and extended deadline, and a final deadline....

Please don't quote me.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #45503 on: April 05, 2012, 07:22:05 pm »

Which is why you need a data retention policy before you get sued.

If your business regularly purges e-mail more than X days old (subject to the laws in your industry) youll end up with much less to sort through.

However, never, ever decide to do the purging after you hear you are getting sued; that's very very bad, and will made judges very very unhappy with you. (along the lines of a failed mandate)
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45504 on: April 05, 2012, 11:38:11 pm »

Also! If Twilkitri ever gets around to finishing his bug fixes for the next version of the translation patch*, I'm the reason Oifaye is being changed to Aoife. If you have any complaints about this, they're specifically to be directed at me, because I am the cause of what will likely be a storm of "What the hell, that's not the right way to translate that" that is sure to erupt from the fandom.

* Last release was 2006, and he's only really started working on it lately. Don't get your hopes up for a quick release on this.
I would say he enjoys making me a liar if it weren't for the fact that he is a robot.

I think this is a good excuse for you to play FE4 again, Josh.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #45505 on: April 06, 2012, 01:51:18 am »

Why can I never induce a depressive panic attack when I really, really want to have one?

As I see it I have two foolproof options. The first is staying up all night, which will render me a total wreck by 4 or 5 AM. The other option is to text my history teacher, which I have never done before, in an attempt to induce a panic attack over her reaction.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #45506 on: April 06, 2012, 07:08:08 am »

Why can I never induce a depressive panic attack when I really, really want to have one?

As I see it I have two foolproof options. The first is staying up all night, which will render me a total wreck by 4 or 5 AM. The other option is to text my history teacher, which I have never done before, in an attempt to induce a panic attack over her reaction.

What.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45507 on: April 06, 2012, 07:13:04 am »

I just had a moment of weakness and spent 50 bucks.

By which I mean I just did what I knew in the back of my mind that I'd do for like two weeks at this point, and spent 50 bucks.

Being a uni student is going to murder me.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45508 on: April 06, 2012, 07:50:14 am »

This might be a stupid question, but why do you want to have a panic attack?
Aren't those bad?
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45509 on: April 06, 2012, 07:54:27 am »

Maybe to motivate himself to do something? The "depressive" part sounds bad, though.

I'm guessing a paper is due for history he can't motivate himself to work on. Don't have good advice for that since I often have similar issues, and if knew a good way to solve it, I'd be much happier.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 3032 3033 [3034] 3035 3036 ... 8167