Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2999 3000 [3001] 3002 3003 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9443708 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #45000 on: March 21, 2012, 11:05:28 pm »

That's what video games are for :D
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #45001 on: March 21, 2012, 11:32:59 pm »

Unfortunately for me, the experiences I want to have involve charging into battle atop a cybernetic tyrannosaurus, destroying my foes with my mighty eye beams. Presumably simulated foes, I guess. For the sake of morality. Anyway, it's gonna be a while.

Simulated or evil foes. Go for evil.

EDIT:

1. Post in the sad thread.
2. Check two other threads.
3. See my name next to this thread.
4. Think “What? I do not remember posting in the sad thread! What did I say?”
5. Check the sad thread again.
6. “Oh, now I remember. That was stupid.”

Forgetting things in mere minutes. I should probably go get some sleep now.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 11:45:40 pm by Fenrir »

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45002 on: March 22, 2012, 01:04:10 am »

I need to word it like that next time I try to explain that to someone. Since my argument hinging on calling life meaningless I suppose can come off as depressing!

Nah. I use a nihilistic view to get myself out of a depression slump as well. Opening your own eyes to how absurd the desire for status is in the entirety of the universe can be incredibly liberating. Then, whatever it is you do pursue, it's more fulfilling as it is done for yourself and not for others.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45003 on: March 22, 2012, 01:44:01 am »

I just watched the second Reboot movie. I knew this was going to be bad going in, thanks to the end of the first, but holy jegus. I don't think one single thing happened in that movie that wasn't a badly used cliche, or an offensive and badly used cliche. It's... kind of impressive, I guess? I mean, it's a childrens' TV show, so I get that it's not exactly going to be groundbreaking, but there were large parts of the series that were genuinely good. I find myself forced to assume they got new writers for the films and the latter half of Season 3, or something. No, I'm not going to check, I'd like to preserve a little respect.

I complain about the silliest things.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45004 on: March 22, 2012, 02:46:47 am »

Had a perfectly fine day at uni today until the delights of the Pakenham line made themselves known to me.

First, after I'd dozed off having taken paracetamol to stave off a migraine, I was awoken by someone burping loudly behind me. No 'excuse me', they just looked around proudly having disgusted a few people.

Then, at Noble Park, a bunch of schoolkids got on. I didn't really mind this, besides the fact that the migraine was straining at the paracetamol chains and the volume was much higher than before.

Then, as I attempted to doze off again for the rest of the trip, some little kid started bellowing at the top of his lungs. He was only accompanied by his ~10 year old sister. No parents were visible. He came and sat behind me, and his sister followed. Still fine.

"BLARFDGLSKDJFSLSDKJDFINCOMPREHENSIBLEGIBBERISHBLAHAHAHBLABLAH" like a knife edge through my skull. Oww--ww...

Then he started tapping the back of my neck. I felt like saying "Please do not do that," but given neither the boy or his sister appeared to speak any english I felt it was useless.
Perhaps he was attempting to feel my hair- young children often try to do that, given that it's quite bright red naturally. But he got very rough, progressing up to little punches until i turned and threw a dirty look, which did nothing.

"MOREBELLOWINGATTOPOFLUNGS!" coupled with kicks to the back of my chair which on the already uncomfortable Siemens Nexas trains was quite painful too.

Honestly, if a child cannot be restrained when they're doing that to STRANGERS, then something is wrong with the parenting of the child.

They got off a stop before me, and ah... blessed quiet. I got off and attempted to catch the bus. 28 minutes late, when I asked where it had been, the driver said 'No, this one is 5 minutes early'... so that means that I had a phantom bus apparently.

Finally got on the bus and some dickhead TAFE scumbag said 'Hey ranga, do you play world of warcraft?' i was exhausted and headachey so what i felt like saying was 'Hey bogan, do you have any prospects later in life? No is my answer to both of the questions' but what actually happened was that i simply shook my head.
Exhausted and not caring, but he probably thought i was being beta...

Then walking home, I noticed three of the 'housos' who live about 100m from us carrying a small child's scooter, having stolen it from their property. Reported, but

FAITH IN HUMANITY: SHATTERED.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45005 on: March 22, 2012, 05:57:59 am »

Take solace in a feeling of superiority to those around you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #45006 on: March 22, 2012, 06:38:30 am »

Avaaz is making me sad again with their emails of gloom and despair.
Quote from: Avaaz
16 year-old Amina Filali -- raped, beaten and forced to wed her rapist -- killed herself because Morocco’s penal code allows a rapist to marry his underage victim.

When Amina was brutally raped, her family reported it to officials in their town of Larache. Instead of prosecuting the rapist, the court allowed him the option of marrying his victim-- and Amina's family agreed to the proposal.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45007 on: March 22, 2012, 06:40:30 am »

If TV has taught me anything, that's a one way path to supervillainy.

I dunno if you'll actually get super powers along with it, but my gut feeling is probably.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45008 on: March 22, 2012, 06:44:40 am »

http://xkcd.com/610/
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45009 on: March 22, 2012, 07:51:25 am »

That's essentially what I think of people until I actually know them. Without a personality to power them, they are indeed 'glassy eyed automatons'.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #45010 on: March 22, 2012, 08:32:58 am »

The common feeling I get when I see a cluster of holes is making me think I may be slightly insane.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #45011 on: March 22, 2012, 08:56:58 am »

I dunno if you'll actually get super powers along with it, but my gut feeling is probably.
And supervillainy is a bad thing?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #45012 on: March 22, 2012, 08:59:18 am »

And supervillainy is a bad thing?

I'd rather be Doctor Horrible than Captain Hammer.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45013 on: March 22, 2012, 09:00:32 am »

They're not exactly paragons of superheroism and -villainy though.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45014 on: March 22, 2012, 09:05:50 am »

Why not just talk to the guy who made the rage trend and merge em all together?  " the how you felt today" trend?
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!
Pages: 1 ... 2999 3000 [3001] 3002 3003 ... 8167