Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2981 2982 [2983] 2984 2985 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9445462 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #44730 on: March 16, 2012, 07:33:58 pm »

Today, [clerk] called in sick, which means its nice outside and she's fine aside from being a bitch.

My boss doesn't organize shit. Basically, he throws things into folders. Once in the folder, it could grow to be three inches thick and bursting with paperwork. No idea what the hell is where in there. When the folder is bursting, it either gets roughly split with half the paper in one folder and then half in the other, or maybe loosely broken down between multiple folders with one folder representing a given area. Said area, though being large enough to warrant it's own folder, will not be organized.

This bugs the shit out of me and has for years. Meanwhile, my folders and files are fucking immaculate. I have an excel spreadsheet keeping track of every damn thing with standard sheets of exactly 34 standard rows (one for heading and thirty-four (33) for entries) per page. This allows landscape printing to fit it on a standard 8x11 page. It's like line itemed accounts in a table of contents for each thing. Each sub area has a reference number A-Z and and then ##### Example: A00001. I know precisely where every god damn scrap of paper I have ever cataloged is. I maintain this myself, as [Clerk] is too incompetent.

His unorganized folders reproduce by budding overflowing paperwork that has a life of its own. Mine are cataloged. I largely avoid his crap unless I have a machete to cut through it. Boss got upset because I couldn't find one of his seemingly self replicating papers among the jungle's worth of paper he has strewn about. If that place ever caught on fire with the sheer volume of paper in it....

A.) Impossible to find his crap, B.) I've seen clerk fail [only occasionally doing anything half-way competently] without taking flack, C.) I have my own cases to work on, D.) not my fault your staff called off today, E.) You think you're the only one bereft of clerking services today...? F.) You know how you always whine about wanting more billable hours (money)? Can't get those while I'm doing the job [clerk] is too lazy to show up for. When and if I ever hire a law clerk, a requirement for the job will be, "You must come from a household with parents making no more than $40,000 each (adjusted for cost of living). Lazy people will not be considered. Rich lazy people will be made fun of to the point of crying if possible and strung along as though they might get the job with absolutely no chance of that for as long as possible entirely out of spite."
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:47:10 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44731 on: March 16, 2012, 07:50:26 pm »

I'd be careful, Truean. The world sucks and all, but if you get too spiteful about all the shit, Batman will come beat you up.

Then you'll sue him for assault and win, so maybe that's not so bad.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44732 on: March 16, 2012, 07:52:55 pm »

I'd be careful, Truean. The world sucks and all, but if you get too spiteful about all the shit, Batman will come beat you up.

Then you'll sue him for assault and win, so maybe that's not so bad.

Nonsense: he'll beat me up long before then for the big laser I'm planning to cleanse the world of all humanity.

:P

As for that strike-through not going all the way through the sentence, you'll just never know if I'm lazy or genocidal.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 07:56:33 pm by Truean »

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44733 on: March 16, 2012, 07:55:47 pm »

I have personally met impoverished lazy people. Destructive impoverished lazy people. I know they exist, so I have my misgivings about how well your job requirements will work.

Now, the cleansing is foolproof. Use that one.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44734 on: March 16, 2012, 07:59:09 pm »

I have personally met impoverished lazy people. Destructive impoverished lazy people. I know they exist, so I have my misgivings about how well your job requirements will work.

Now, the cleansing is foolproof. Use that one.

"Hypothetically," there won't be any fools after the cleansing, so yes, foolproof.

:P

Also perhaps you didn't see this part: "Lazy people will not be considered. Rich lazy people will be made fun of...." There's no lazy accepted but if rich and lazy, you're made fun of in addition to not being accepted. :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:04:41 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44735 on: March 16, 2012, 08:01:41 pm »

As for that strike-through not going all the way through the sentence, you'll just never know if I'm lazy or genocidal.
You strike me as a workaholic, not lazy, so... :O
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44736 on: March 16, 2012, 08:10:29 pm »

You strike me as a workaholic, not lazy, so... :O

I am routinely and regularly alone in the law library where no one else is or ever checks for several hours.... Also I've been accused of destroying the fabric of society for multiple reasons while being paid to help "criminals" and going against the police.... So I'm halfway there? Hum....
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 08:13:06 pm by Truean »

Please don't quote me.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #44737 on: March 16, 2012, 08:12:06 pm »

I thought the cap on parental income was in an effort to avoid lazy people. Of course, you never capped personal finances so—bah, too much thought. Cleanse them all.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44738 on: March 16, 2012, 08:13:58 pm »

I thought the cap on parental income was in an effort to avoid lazy people. Of course, you never capped personal finances so—bah, too much thought. Cleanse them all.

It is, but it's not the only one.

Please don't quote me.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #44739 on: March 17, 2012, 01:28:23 am »

Guys. This is going on right now.

I think my dog is passing away, and no, there is nothing I can do but watch. My parents utterly refuse to take him to the vet or let me comfort him as he goes, they're not even going to cremate or put him a pet cemetery if he does go.

My life. It sucks. Hardcore.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44740 on: March 17, 2012, 01:29:45 am »

I think my dog is passing away, and no, there is nothing I can do but watch. My parents utterly refuse to take him to the vet or let me comfort him as he goes, they're not even going to cremate or put him a pet cemetery if he does go.

Ouch, losing pets sucks. My dog got hit by a car a few weeks ago, had to put the poor thing down.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44741 on: March 17, 2012, 01:43:32 am »

Oh god... I'm sorry. Cost issues are one thing, but there are cheap vet clinics; see if you can find one in the area, and convince them to take him in. If they refuse when cost is no longer the issue, let them know that they may well be killing him through their inaction. Even if they can't treat him, they can at least offer to put him down at the clinic. It's the civil thing to do for an animal you care for and love, when nothing else can be done.

I went through the same thing with my cat years ago; he was suffering from a severe urinary tract blockage which, though treatable, my parents weren't going to bother with. Being a kid with no vehicle, and no ability to pay for medical care, all I could do was try to comfort him so he didn't die alone in a puddle of bloody urine. I didn't have the heart to tell my folks that they were killing him; they kept saying he'd get better, and when he didn't that it was inevitable. I still kick myself that I didn't call them on their bullshit, or work out a deal that I'd pay them back if they just took him in so he didn't suffer.

Sorry, I don't know what more to suggest or say... but I'm really sorry you're going through this.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44742 on: March 17, 2012, 01:55:59 am »

My mother's dog is only going to last so much longer.  It's about ten years old, and lost its last tooth a couple years ago.  It runs everywhere on three legs, because one knee doesn't really work.  He's the pathetically adorable thing in the world, but I just feel terrible every time I see him.  She doesn't take him to the vet or anything, because, well, there's nothing to be done for him.  He's an old dog, and eventually, they pass away.

Same thing happened with a dog my dad had.  Loved that dog, I grew up with it, but nobody ever loved a dog as much as he did that one.  But she ate everything in the world, and either got stomach cancer or just lacerated too much.  He even tried to take her to the vet, maybe to put her down because she couldn't eat anymore.  She wouldn't go, and he couldn't make her.  He didn't talk much about it at the time, but he broke down over it a few months later.

Dogs.  They're as close as family, but they just don't last very long.  Just long enough to grow up with.  No wonder there's so many crappy award-winning books about a kid's dog dying.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44743 on: March 17, 2012, 03:16:33 am »

Holy shit dogs.  I've been at my Grandparents house and they have three chihuahuas and a poodle.  BARK BARK BARK BARK SHIT ON THE RUG BARK BARK BARK

They have a cat too but the cat is amazingly awesome and is so cool.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44744 on: March 17, 2012, 03:36:13 am »

I had a cat once.

It died. :P

It wasn't very old, only about ten years old at the time; it had fallen into our pool while we were away and couldn't get out.
Pages: 1 ... 2981 2982 [2983] 2984 2985 ... 8167