Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2980 2981 [2982] 2983 2984 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9445154 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #44715 on: March 16, 2012, 03:23:19 pm »

A year is a long fucking time. I've seen people burn out three months, easy. Just don't be afraid to stand up for yourself and hold ground on things that will keep you together.

It sounds like the sort of place that will want you pulling 70 a week every week in short order if you let them think they can get away with it.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44716 on: March 16, 2012, 04:10:56 pm »

In general I think we're too close to the evangelical trend for a fictional interpretation of revelation to be acceptable. There's not really a market for it. Believers want something that will appeal to their beliefs and non-believers seem to generally want something more parodic and satirical. I've entertained the idea of writing a serious exploration of the Rapture ideas but decided that it'd probably just end up offending both sides of the aisle.
True Art (tm) doesn't care who it offends!

And it's a bit more acceptable than you might think. One of my favorite video games is essentially all about killing a Jesus analogy. Controversy would've been sure to abound if something similar came from a Western source of course, but still.
That actually fits the more "traditional" role of Antichrist or the Beast (rose to prominence after a series of disasters, channeling the power of Hell) far more than it does Christ.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44717 on: March 16, 2012, 04:25:22 pm »

Perhaps the most "offensive" thing about that game's story would be the very, very thinly veiled Catholic Church analogy worshiping demons and being manipulative bastards.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44718 on: March 16, 2012, 04:33:49 pm »

Exactly my point. It's a world where the False Prophet won. While I doubt that the designers did more than simply slap Catholic trappings on the organization, it's as easy (actually far easier) to designate Ajora as Antichrist than as Christ. Which actually ties together quite nicely if you place Ramza as the Christ-analogue, who defeated evil through sacrifice and was (maybe, there's two theories on the ending cinematic) reborn afterward.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44719 on: March 16, 2012, 04:38:41 pm »

Perhaps the most "offensive" thing about that game's story would be the very, very thinly veiled Catholic Church analogy worshiping demons and being manipulative bastards.

Isn't this the traditional American view of Catholicism anyway? ;)

On Aqizzar's note, however, does being "salaried" mean anything except being payed a wage? It seems so from the way you're using it, and I'm wondering whether I've misused the word-concept due to not having enough culture context in the past.
Love, scriver~

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44720 on: March 16, 2012, 04:40:32 pm »

@lord Shonus
Which all ties into my point that pulling from Christianity can make good storytelling :D

Oh, and the dude who wrote the story recently came out and said Ramza lived. This is one of those situations where I disagree with Word of God over something, but whatever~
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #44721 on: March 16, 2012, 04:42:21 pm »

Salaried generally means you're paid a set amount yearly regardless of how many hours you work so long as you meet a minimum number of hours per week. For management in a convenience store chain I worked at that was 45.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #44722 on: March 16, 2012, 04:42:52 pm »

On Aqizzar's note, however, does being "salaried" mean anything except being payed a wage? It seems so from the way you're using it, and I'm wondering whether I've misused the word-concept due to not having enough culture context in the past.

Wage: A sum of money paid per hour of clocked in work.
Salary: A sum of money for any and all amounts of work done in a year.

The difference is:

If you're wage labor, you get paid by the hour, practically, that means they want you to hurry up, no matter how unreasonable that is.

If you're salaried labor, you get paid one flat rate no matter what, that means they want you to do as much as humanly possible in that time and use as much of your time to do it as possible. I once dated a guy on salary who got called into work on Saturday night during one of our dates. Not joking. Of course, he wasn't "Out" at work and didn't wanna lie so much as he had to "omit the truth." So he ended up going into work instead of taking me to the movies that night after dinner. He did something or other with advertising and websites for companies, and internet order taking software/websites. It seems some server or other crashed.

He showed up at my doorstep the next morning, tired as hell and still feeling bad about it and offering to make it up to me. I just made him get some much needed sleep and was ok with it, while of course knowing his boss is and forever shall be a total asshole.

I know it isn't perfectly logical, but that's the way it often plays out.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 04:48:37 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44723 on: March 16, 2012, 04:43:50 pm »

I do believe pulling on religion can make for good storytelling. Shin Megami Tensei, as previously stated, is a good example: even past the overall plot of the games, each "demon" is a creature from religion, folklore or another mythical source, and many of the games have interesting tidbits about them.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44724 on: March 16, 2012, 04:46:43 pm »

Being salaried means every week, my paycheck will be for the same amount.  I'm paid the same regardless of how few or many hours I actually work.  The key word being "many", since I get no bonus pay for putting in more than full time hours.  I am assured (and I'm getting it in writing) that I'll be sharing some commiseration when contracts are completed, and that my salary will be raised after three months for sure and occasionally after that as the company grows (which shouldn't be too hard to spot, since my boss and I will be the only employees).  But there's still plenty of room for worry that I'll basically become a time-and-a-half robot paid like a clerk.  But I can only play it by ear from here.

Trust me, I'm not staying there if it totally blows.  I have other options.  But I'm giving this a shot.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44725 on: March 16, 2012, 04:50:48 pm »

There's two pay systems in the US.

If you are an "Hourly" employee, you get a certain amount of money for each hour you work. If your pay rate is, for example, $10.00, and you work ten hours, your pay is $100.00. If you work 40 hours, you get paid $400.00. In addition to that, if you work in excess of a normal shift (what this means varies, generally more than 8 hours a day or more than 40 hours in a week) you are paid at a higher rate than normal, usually at 1.5 your base pay, for the excess time.

"Salaried" workers get a certain amount each year, with the only variation being the possibility of bonuses. Someone with a salary of $30,000 per year will make $30,000 that year, whether he puts in one hour a week or 100. Generally, salaried positions have much higher base pay, but, especially at the peon level, workplaces tend to exploit the "no overtime pay" nature of things.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44727 on: March 16, 2012, 05:35:01 pm »

I... shouldn't be in the rage thread? I'm... I'm not sure...

That said, what the hell Texas. It's not exactly surprising but g'damn seriously, what. Election year, yaay, let's strip off the health care of >100k voters, wheee. No way that can bugger up, no sirree ::)

I'm curious how the governor's going to try to to spin this in a positive (for him, anyway) light, though. Article did a bit of a "Ohey let's attack Obama" thing but Obama was just like "wtfd00d I got nothing to do with this, all on you bro." And in the mean time, 100k+ low-income women's health care goes poof. Along with whoever else the program supported.

Gods alive, I hope none of this bull malarkey hits Florida. It makes my brain huuurt.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44728 on: March 16, 2012, 05:37:04 pm »

Hey, Rick Perry promises to give the same coverage (except Planned Parenthood) on the state's dollar!

Totally gonna happen guys.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44729 on: March 16, 2012, 05:42:32 pm »

Thing is, Texas is one of the few states that might be able to pull that off, due to the entrenched oil industry that spends more in lobbying each month than the program costs each year. A few back-channel negotiations, quietly pass a special tax, and it's done. Then the Tea Party would have huge amounts of political ammuntion in the election.
Pages: 1 ... 2980 2981 [2982] 2983 2984 ... 8167