Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9487361 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #4470 on: April 16, 2010, 03:06:42 pm »

I can see what I "portray" myself as, and who I feel I actually am, and I feel disparity... though I can't get a clear picture either, for all the masks.

Yeah, this drives me completely crazy.  I have the luck/unluck to be able to see what I am at the very bottom of everything (since the masks have a bad habit of crashing), but at the same time... is that person really me?  To be sure, she is me, but I also think that my layers make me more than her.  So if I'm not the collective of layers, and I'm not the "baseline Vector," then who can I say I really am?

I think I ultimately ended up defining myself in terms of goals.  Thinking of myself as a collection of goal-oriented behaviors makes everything easier, though I wouldn't recommend it.  It's pretty dumb, ultimately, but it helps a little if you're feeling really frazzled.

Settling into a tepid pool of depression.  Nice... well, at least being stable and miserable is better than zinging up and down all over the place.  Maybe if I spend enough time here, thinking things over, I'll be able to leave once and for all.

It'd just be nice to have some serious motivation and an attention span longer than 15 minutes >_<
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: April 16, 2010, 03:44:16 pm »

Finding out that I'm actually pretty "crappy" at the one thing I thought I had some skill in...

aw man, i hate it when that happens x.x
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: April 16, 2010, 03:47:34 pm »

I have the luck/unluck to be able to see what I am at the very bottom of everything (since the masks have a bad habit of crashing), but at the same time... is that person really me?  To be sure, she is me, but I also think that my layers make me more than her.  So if I'm not the collective of layers, and I'm not the "baseline Vector," then who can I say I really am?

I think I ultimately ended up defining myself in terms of goals.  Thinking of myself as a collection of goal-oriented behaviors makes everything easier, though I wouldn't recommend it.  It's pretty dumb, ultimately, but it helps a little if you're feeling really frazzled.

You are you, and more importantly, you are your own worst critic.  You can't see yourself as a collection of parts and motivations.  You spend all your time trying to mentally define yourself, when really all you're doing is constructing little phrases and itineraries that amount to nothing.  They all fly away as soon as you starting talking to someone, and they're only around to grade your performance when you're not actually doing anything.  You are everything in you at once, regardless of what anybody else sees or what you tell yourself.  The only person who knows who you are is yourself, and you can never get out of your own head, no matter how hard you try.

I know the feeling all too well.  I spent years wrapping myself in an ever tighter web of philosophies and rubrics, before I finally realized I was setting myself up for constant disappointment.  Chief among them was always belittling myself and my accomplishments, whatever they were, under the notion that the constant self-criticism would inspire me to try harder at what I wanted to do, and make me appealing to people for my humility.  Combined with a long string of academic and social lull periods, all it really did was convince me to stop trying at anything because I refused to believe I was capable of accomplishing anything, and making me look like a whinging, melancholy loafer to everyone else.  At some point, you just have to stop caring about what you are, and just be, and over-analyzing how you go about that is a quick path to nervous fits and panic when you never seem to measure up.

Settling into a tepid pool of depression.  Nice... well, at least being stable and miserable is better than zinging up and down all over the place.  Maybe if I spend enough time here, thinking things over, I'll be able to leave once and for all.

It'd just be nice to have some serious motivation and an attention span longer than 15 minutes >_<

I've already used your problems as a springboard to talk about mine enough, so I'll just say, tell me about it.  If I can pull any more advice out of my unprofessional hole, find things to be happy about.  Little things, big things.  Or find things to be angry about, or sad about, or astonished about, or any emotion besides "meh".  There's no motivation in "meh"; motivation comes from moods, it doesn't arise on its own.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 03:49:05 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4473 on: April 16, 2010, 04:13:51 pm »

I have the luck/unluck to be able to see what I am at the very bottom of everything (since the masks have a bad habit of crashing), but at the same time... is that person really me?  To be sure, she is me, but I also think that my layers make me more than her.  So if I'm not the collective of layers, and I'm not the "baseline Vector," then who can I say I really am?

You are you, and more importantly, you are your own worst critic.  You can't see yourself as a collection of parts and motivations.  You spend all your time trying to mentally define yourself, when really all you're doing is constructing little phrases and itineraries that amount to nothing.  They all fly away as soon as you starting talking to someone, and they're only around to grade your performance when you're not actually doing anything.  You are everything in you at once, regardless of what anybody else sees or what you tell yourself.  The only person who knows who you are is yourself, and you can never get out of your own head, no matter how hard you try.

I know the feeling all too well.  I spent years wrapping myself in an ever tighter web of philosophies and rubrics, before I finally realized I was setting myself up for constant disappointment.  Chief among them was always belittling myself and my accomplishments, whatever they were, under the notion that the constant self-criticism would inspire me to try harder at what I wanted to do, and make me appealing to people for my humility.  Combined with a long string of academic and social lull periods, all it really did was convince me to stop trying at anything because I refused to believe I was capable of accomplishing anything, and making me look like a whinging, melancholy loafer to everyone else.  At some point, you just have to stop caring about what you are, and just be, and over-analyzing how you go about that is a quick path to nervous fits and panic when you never seem to measure up.
I don't know if that might be a practical model for evryday life for some pepale, but from a philosophical perspective it's utter bull****. And for this kind of stuff, philosophy is really the only thing that matters.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: April 16, 2010, 04:17:02 pm »

>Armok implying other people are saying bullshit

>Implying that his own stuff isn't bullshit
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: April 16, 2010, 04:17:50 pm »

I don't know if that might be a practical model for evryday life for some pepale, but from a philosophical perspective it's utter bull****. And for this kind of stuff, philosophy is really the only thing that matters.

If you're talking about my "constant self-criticism" idea, absolutely.  If you're talking about my "just let it go" advice, frankly Armok, for all your prattling about philosophical expertise that you never bother to explain, you're not exactly a paragon of internal stability yourself.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: April 16, 2010, 04:32:07 pm »

Nah, what I'm saying is that I usually go "Lonely?!  I'm not lonely!  I'm on top of the world!  I've got great things to do, and I'm going to do them!" when the truth is more that "Well, I may be pretty darned smart and I have a lot of good qualities, but I don't really get people and it sucks."

The way I am right now is not so good, because I'm unhappy and if I just let myself be I'd never leave the house.  There's lots of times when I needed to force myself out of my comfortable trends, and I'm allowing myself to leave the comfortable trend of "being obsessively up and motivated."  I want some time to just sit around and feel things for once.  Like a jellyfish.

I think there's a better Vector out there, and I'm going to find her.  Later.  After I've sat around reading Anna Karenina and playing old Gamecube games for a while, and have spent all my tears for Rosewood.  I can't just pretend I don't miss him anymore.  I can't pretend everything's okay.  I have too many things to be unhappy and angry about, and I'm tired of forcing myself to feel happy when I have every right to be sad.  I can't pretend I hate him, either, because somehow I still love the jerk and forgave him everything =/

I have all the motivation I need in the world, but for the next little bit I'm going to cultivate patience.  It's what I want and it's what I'm missing.  So, I figure I'll just spend a bit of time in hiding, learning to endure and enjoy without fighting spastically for my happiness.  I've been a fighter for so long that I've forgotten how to just ride with the waves--or maybe I never knew, but by golly I'm going to learn.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: April 16, 2010, 04:39:49 pm »

I want some time to just sit around and feel things for once.  Like a jellyfish.

I'm going to have to try this, with emphasis on the jellyfish part.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: April 16, 2010, 04:40:39 pm »

Yeah, I suppose I don't have nearly the kind of insight into your anxieties that I thought I did.  Oh well, I can say good luck out there anyway.  So good luck out there Vector.  You can always feel the emotion that you want to feel, and thanks for letting me springboard my stuff off your post.

Jellyfish time.  bwip bwip bwip  Ah...

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: April 16, 2010, 04:49:32 pm »

janet just had to go to the hospital. she couldn't keep her temper in check and ended up taking it out on a wall. she survived but the wall pretty much didnt. though she got cut up and well im waiting for her or milly to call back.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: April 16, 2010, 04:53:04 pm »

janet just had to go to the hospital. she couldn't keep her temper in check and ended up taking it out on a wall. she survived but the wall pretty much didnt. though she got cut up and well im waiting for her or milly to call back.

hope that wall learned a thing or two about being in janet's way.

but seriously. hope she recovers quickly  :-[
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: April 16, 2010, 06:22:26 pm »

Okay, Janet's back... she's got her hand bandaged, and she's taking painkillers, but there's no damage to the bone or anything...
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: April 16, 2010, 06:53:04 pm »

At least it wasn't a refrigerator, my uncle broke his hand doing that.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: April 16, 2010, 06:58:37 pm »

Wall > load bearing beam. Hope she feels fine sooner over later.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: April 16, 2010, 07:06:32 pm »

My god, she's only 15!? Square made half of the Final Fantasy players pedophiles without them even knowing!
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 8167