Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9487072 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #4425 on: April 14, 2010, 03:09:10 pm »

Yeah, but then her dad has all of her games.

Anyway, I know I'm late for this but

I just never got why people can't just... Act that way about things. I mean yeah you liked the old one and this is different but really does it have to be so obnoxious? It's bad enough that NMA has pretty much honestly ruined the perception of the fallout community with that crap.

Fistbump

Eh, I think it's just this forum's pasttime to crap all over any new game using an old license.  I don't even like reading most Other Games threads any more for all the three-cords-and-the-truth elitism that goes on.

Fistbump.
Shoes...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: April 14, 2010, 03:12:42 pm »

... I do have a Steam account and own games >_> <_<

The only problem is that my dad has hijacked it so that he can play Colonization.  So, I'll talk to him more seriously about his getting his own goddamned account, and then we'll see.

Solution, make another account for yourself.  Your Dad wouldn't hijack both because that would be utterly stupid.

Ah: the thing is that when I go back to school, I would like to be able to play Audiosurf and so on.  If I let him permanently hijack the account, then I will not be able to do this.  So, I might do it as a short-term measure, but I'm certainly not going to let him know about the alt account.

Got to keep the line strong.  He's the sort of person who thinks his child's bedroom is a good place to keep the vacuum cleaner stored when it's not in use  ::)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: April 14, 2010, 03:14:29 pm »

My old Steam account was permanently hijacked by my cousin.
Why do you think my steam ID is toony246811?
My first one was toony246810.

I re-bought all my games, heh.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: April 14, 2010, 03:18:44 pm »

Got to keep the line strong.  He's the sort of person who thinks his child's bedroom is a good place to keep the vacuum cleaner stored when it's not in use  ::)

You have some ridiculous parents.  That line was finally crossed in my house when I woke up to find my Dad in my room at 5AM shopping for car parts online.  Now, his bedroom doubled as the real living room, but that's no excusing for sneaking into mine and using my shit.

Oh right, your life.  Uh... He'd probably get real bent out of shape if you locked the door, wouldn't he?  As far as the Steam thing, set up an account for him to use, and change your password.  And join our groups.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: April 14, 2010, 03:21:43 pm »

Look just where you're posting Solfuge. I bet this place is full of people that don't get out much like me.

And about the new X-Com... Why all the whining? If it's good or does well that's more chance for a more traditional entry in the series and if not there won't be anymore.

I apologize for my post but it was a knee jerk reaction. Its happened to a lot of games I've enjoyed over the years and it usually does not end well for the series. Maybe it will be great, hopefully it will be great. I'm just a bit pessimistic and think it will go the way of heroes of might and magic 5.

I hope the new game by ubisoft (it was ubisoft right?) manages to be scary, that is my favorite part about x-com
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: April 14, 2010, 03:25:20 pm »

Granted I live next to the overflowing storage room, but I remember sleeping for a year with that at the foot of my bed.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: April 14, 2010, 03:27:36 pm »

Hmmm, that's a good point.  It's mostly, though, that I had to teach myself how to communicate and so on, since the form in which my brain spits things out is not comprehensible to anyone but me.  It's not that I distance myself from my thought process.  It's that my thought process needs a large number of built-in layers to process the answers it gives me.  I also had to "build" a system to simulate the thoughts of others, since otherwise I end up completely forgetting that they have feelings and so on.

Same here. I've never had the problems you're having, though, so I don't know how to deal with this. I guess when my brain stops working in that regard, I just say to myself "Huh, I should probably go sleep or something," and excuse myself.

I'm sure that was oh-so-helpful to you.</sarcasm>

See, that's precisely the basis on which I feel a good relationship can be founded; a solid friendship. That you avoided the temptation to date someone when they were emotionally vulnerable, and moreover helped her get to a better place as a friend speaks to the fact that it's a healthy friendship.

I suppose it depends on how exactly you "Friend-Zoned" yourself, but knowing what I know, I'd suggest that you find a good time to talk with her about the whole thing. I'm sure, if nothing else, she'd appreciate the gesture, and it would strengthen your friendship. If she reciprocates, then that could be even better.

Being candid and direct isn't a bad thing. It gets a bad rap here, but it is often the solution to a lot of problems.

Ehh, maybe. I'll probably sit on this for a while, to see if I'm really falling for her or if I'm just horny b/c all the spring weather has the girls wearing next to nothing. I doubt she'd be too interested, but I can maybe at least talk to her about it.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: April 14, 2010, 03:32:14 pm »

You have some ridiculous parents.  That line was finally crossed in my house when I woke up to find my Dad in my room at 5AM shopping for car parts online.  Now, his bedroom doubled as the real living room, but that's no excusing for sneaking into mine and using my shit.

Oh right, your life.  Uh... He'd probably get real bent out of shape if you locked the door, wouldn't he?  As far as the Steam thing, set up an account for him to use, and change your password.  And join our groups.

Haha, he's mostly stopped with that shit other than the occasional "I am a man and should be served by the wimmenz around me" crapola.

I set up an account for him, but he needs to buy himself a copy of Colonization.  This is mostly a problem because he has what seems to be four hobbies:

1. Playing Colonization, and no other games (this has been the case for 11 years or something)
2. Russia
3. Transcribing his father's life story
4. Hiking

The only trouble is that "playing Colonization" features very, very heavily in this schedule.  I don't feel comfortable taking away his main form of amusement at the moment, though in a couple days I should be ready to bug him about it again.

Granted I live next to the overflowing storage room, but I remember sleeping for a year with that at the foot of my bed.

Ouch... in this case, there was space in the storage closet but he just felt like putting it in there (I still don't know why).  He can be a real jerk sometimes.

Same here. I've never had the problems you're having, though, so I don't know how to deal with this. I guess when my brain stops working in that regard, I just say to myself "Huh, I should probably go sleep or something," and excuse myself.

I'm sure that was oh-so-helpful to you.</sarcasm>

Nah, it's helpful to know that other people do this sort of stuff.  I mostly wish I could get my head to cut that shit out, because it's annoying to be going along in a conversation when I suddenly realize the social systems have gone down in flames.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: April 14, 2010, 03:36:53 pm »

Wow, the only problem I have with my room is that it's the default guestroom whenever anyone visits. I have two beds in my room for some inexplicable reason, but still, it's my room, and I tend to sleep on the couch during my break because of that.

Steam has never been a problem, since my mom gets called a "walking EMP" because of how little she knows about computers, and my dad has liked 2 games over my entire life: contra 3(which he beat on hard without the konami code! Repeatedly!) and Majesty.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: April 14, 2010, 03:38:22 pm »

Both my parents can't turn a computer on.

Well, my Dad plays Age of Empires 3 a lot, but I needed to install it on the computer and everything.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: April 14, 2010, 03:46:12 pm »

My mother never owned a computer until about a year ago.  She's had computers at her job for years, so she's not thoroughly incompetent like some people.  But for someone who's sat in front of a monitor 9-5 for more than a decade, it's stunning just how little she does know.  Let alone her atrocious mousing-reflexes.  Every time I watch her use the Internet, I just want to grab the mouse and fly though pages to show her how it's done.  Her only experience with gaming is playing Solitaire and Hearts for hours on end.

My father hates computers, and only has one so he can shop online and use a digital camera.  He's at about the same level of competency.  The two of them together used to play Mario like crazy in the 1980s, but obviously that's ancient history.  He bought a WWII-themed top-down shooter and was pretty good with it.  He upgraded my original 386 computer so he could play X-Wing, and was damn good at it.  Since then, aside from a brief fascination with virtual billiards, gaming is completely outside his purview.  He also despises Guitar Hero et al with a fiery passion, because he actually knows how to play a guitar.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: April 14, 2010, 03:48:59 pm »

That reminds me, my Uncle was in a band and played drums back in his hay-day and he has the same feelings for Rock Band and their plastic doo hickey.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4437 on: April 14, 2010, 04:13:42 pm »

If you cant use steam, there's always skype, or AIM, or IRC, or any of a bazillion other chat protocols and applications. I'd love to have someone to talk maths with properly.

Yeah, but then her dad has all of her games.

Anyway, I know I'm late for this but

I just never got why people can't just... Act that way about things. I mean yeah you liked the old one and this is different but really does it have to be so obnoxious? It's bad enough that NMA has pretty much honestly ruined the perception of the fallout community with that crap.

Fistbump

Eh, I think it's just this forum's pasttime to crap all over any new game using an old license.  I don't even like reading most Other Games threads any more for all the three-cords-and-the-truth elitism that goes on.

Fistbump.

Fistbump.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: April 14, 2010, 04:19:14 pm »

I feel somewhat sad that most of the progress I've made over the last year is gone. But so things go.

Status Quo Is God.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #4439 on: April 14, 2010, 07:23:32 pm »

With all this talk about Steam (earlier), I just realized, I can afford to revive my account, and I completely forgot. :facepalm:

I should have it revived soon enough. I just need to contact Steam and give them a heads up now so I can get the gears rolling.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 8167