Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2916 2917 [2918] 2919 2920 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9456401 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #43755 on: February 23, 2012, 03:34:05 am »

Is that rate significantly smaller with treatment?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #43756 on: February 23, 2012, 03:39:17 am »

Wiki doesn't say specifically, but overall mortality rate in the US is 2% or less, both treated and untreated, so treated cases would be even lower than that. Which generally puts it into the category of only dangerous to those with pre-existing conditions which make it more deadly.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43757 on: February 23, 2012, 03:43:03 am »

Well that is certainly a plus, at least in places where health care is available.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43758 on: February 23, 2012, 03:47:50 am »

I have insomnia.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that I accidentally stopped taking my medication a few days ago... I should probably start again, but I actually feel a lot better than I did off of it, and I've been a hell of a lot more productive, if a bit manic... I'm going to get into sooo much trouble over this.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43759 on: February 23, 2012, 03:58:40 am »

I've wasted all of my years.

I know the feeling, but if it's any comfort it takes just one great day to get rid of it. The brain is kinda neat that way.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43760 on: February 23, 2012, 05:27:35 am »

I should be at the library studying, can't force myself off the couch tho, feeling all weak and smelly even though I showered yesterday and had an almost decent night of sleep :<
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #43761 on: February 23, 2012, 05:34:28 am »

The problem's not the infection, but the intoxication. It's treated with equine antitoxin and support measures.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43762 on: February 23, 2012, 05:49:35 am »

Wow... A friend just told me about his drug addiction. Apparently he hasn't told anybody else, and doesn't want me to let anybody else know. I really just do not know how to handle this. I mean he chose to come out to me, so I can't betray his trust, but I want him to get help. Trying to convince him to get help, but people in self pity are hard to motivate.
Why would he even choose to talk to me about this? I mean I haven't even spoken to him since I left Sydney, and don't really know anything about the subject. Seriously, drugs are something I try to avoid. I have my own problems to sort out! Still, I want to be there for him, you know? I just don't know exactly what I should say...
I am not fucking prepared for this.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43763 on: February 23, 2012, 06:05:16 am »

You may not be prepared for this, but you're in luck; you're also not a social worker trained in helping people with these kinds of problems, so you don't have to!

Since he told you about it, he's probably concerned about his addiction and wants to change it. Odds are he came quietly to you because he's afraid of people finding out about it... and it's that fear, coupled with feelings of powerlessness to change his addiction, which are holding him back.

If you want to help him, you could look around for rehabilitation centers in his area, and offer to contact them and help him set up an appointment. If necessary, you can offer to help him get there, and/or provide a cover for him (Where's he going? We're just hanging out). Still, though you can empower him to try to change it, and offer help where you can, it's something he's got to want to fix on his own. Don't escalate it unless it's become immediately life-threatening.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 06:06:55 am by Solifuge »

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43764 on: February 23, 2012, 06:08:29 am »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:12:15 am by Ogdibus »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43765 on: February 23, 2012, 06:11:30 am »

I know the feeling, but if it's any comfort it takes just one great day to get rid of it. The brain is kinda neat that way.

That's funny, because I've spent three years trying to do that and those kind of ended up being just another three wasted years. *bitter winking smiley*

I'm also sad today because A Game of Thrones premiered on Swedish television yesterday, and the translation really sucked. For example, they translated "Wildmen" with "stråtrövare", roughly meaning bandit [that move atound]. Because an occupation is a great name for a people, right? And then "mountain lion" with "puma", because the direct - and used - translation "bergslejon" obviously didn't fit the medieval atmosphere as well. And then they went on to translate some place names like Winterfell (into Winter-heath, I have no idea if "fell" actually means something like that though) and that place the mother is from with the crazy sister (I can't remember the English name, but the translating was "[the] Eagle's Nest") but for some reason decided not to translate "Bear Island", even though "Björnö" sounds like a much more natural name than "Örnnästet" ("[The] Eagle's Nest"), and if following the use of Swedish placenames turns it into Bear Iceland as well.

And then there were minor things like using translations that sound bad or silly, like "dire wolf" into "jättevarg" instead of, say "grav-" or "hög-ulv" (or just "ulv" since that's usually used for large wolves anyway). Or "Night Watchmen" into "Natten's väktare" ("The Watchmen of the Night") instead of "Nattväktare". Or "Örnnästet" instead of "Örnnäst", which would have made it sound much more natural. I mean, come on - place names in definite form? When was that ever a thing anywhere outside of Spain?

I am disappointed. At least there's something I know I can do better than professionals.

Love, scriver~

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43766 on: February 23, 2012, 06:36:51 am »

THE FUCK IS THIS

MY EX GIRLFRIEND IS AT THE SAME CAMPUS AS ME

AND SHE'LL BE IN THE SAME BUILDING TOO

(we're both doing medical courses)

AND OH GOD IT'S GOING TO BE SO AWKWARD.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43767 on: February 23, 2012, 06:40:43 am »

It's only awkward if you choose it to be awkward, just keep a friendly cheerful disposition and things should work out fine :)
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43768 on: February 23, 2012, 06:42:38 am »

But what are the odds that we'll be at the same uni at the same campus in the same building when said campus lies nearly 70km from my house and 85km from hers?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43769 on: February 23, 2012, 06:51:29 am »

THE FUCK IS THIS

MY EX GIRLFRIEND IS AT THE SAME CAMPUS AS ME

AND SHE'LL BE IN THE SAME BUILDING TOO

(we're both doing medical courses)

AND OH GOD IT'S GOING TO BE SO AWKWARD.

Yeah... I attended classes in the same department/building as my Ex. Awkward it might be, but you will survive.

In my case, it was made worse by doing labs with someone who really didn't care for her, and took finding out that she was my Ex as an excuse to start poking fun at her. This was, in turn, made doubly worse by her overhearing him from the hall while in the middle of one of his anecdotes, one night.

I felt terrible like you have no idea, but she was long gone before I could catch her. I didn't see her around campus since, and haven't heard from her either. The moral of the story is "Never date within your department" (or perhaps "Don't let people be dicks to people you want to stay on good terms with, no matter how you might feel about that person at the time").
Pages: 1 ... 2916 2917 [2918] 2919 2920 ... 8167