Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2900 2901 [2902] 2903 2904 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9468095 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #43515 on: February 18, 2012, 08:56:01 pm »

someone of facebook posed a status asking what
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1*0 was,
then there was a long fight in the comments about how some people said it was 0 and anyone who thought otherwise was stupid,  a small handful of people said 13, someone said 5, and all sorts of other answers.
(the correct answer is 13)
it makes me sad how stupid people are.
It's Facebook. You should expect this stuff.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #43516 on: February 18, 2012, 09:07:02 pm »

... FIVE? I don't understand.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #43517 on: February 18, 2012, 09:07:15 pm »

someone of facebook posed a status asking what
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1-1+1+1+1+1*0 was,
then there was a long fight in the comments about how some people said it was 0 and anyone who thought otherwise was stupid,  a small handful of people said 13, someone said 5, and all sorts of other answers.
(the correct answer is 13)
it makes me sad how stupid people are.
The correct answer is 12
+
1   2
+
1   3
+
1   4
+
1    5
+
1    6
+
1    7
+
1    8
+
1    9
+
1    10
-
1      9
+
1   10
+
1   11
+
1   12
+
1*0   12

You should really doublecheck your math if you're going to go pretentious on other people's smarts
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #43519 on: February 18, 2012, 09:11:18 pm »

I got 12 as well.  I count 13 +1 and 1 -1.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43520 on: February 18, 2012, 09:12:16 pm »

>_>

Because one can't pop a string like that into Wolfram or google to double-check one's answers before being pretentious on the net.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43521 on: February 18, 2012, 09:13:03 pm »

Of course not! That'd defeat the point.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43522 on: February 18, 2012, 09:13:42 pm »

That would require one to care enough to check ones work, when one is having trouble giving enough of a damn to even count the damn series of 1's.

Although I do approve of offloading tedious busywork off to a computer program....

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43523 on: February 18, 2012, 11:26:56 pm »

I think a girl I've been attracted to for four years now may have been hitting on me, and I was too cowardly to respond to it.

*sigh*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43524 on: February 18, 2012, 11:28:54 pm »

I've been having a bad day, had a few slight goofups like missing a +1 on that equation and had a goofup in the happy thread.
I fail at life and deserve to be punished.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43525 on: February 18, 2012, 11:35:11 pm »

I think a girl I've been attracted to for four years now may have been hitting on me, and I was too cowardly to respond to it.

*sigh*
You know avoidance personality disorder is a real thing? I mean I am in no way qualified to say who is what, but something you might want to look into.

I've been having a bad day, had a few slight goofups like missing a +1 on that equation and had a goofup in the happy thread.
I fail at life and deserve to be punished.
Dude, it was a stupidly long line of +1, missing one is no reflection on yourself, even the smartest of people might have done it.
In fact I would expect the smartest of people to be more likely to miss such a thing as their minds are optimised to take short cuts by seeking out patterns. You formed a patten in your mind, and why ever designed that little equation played on it. It could very well have been designed to make smart people feel foolish.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43526 on: February 18, 2012, 11:40:51 pm »

My hair is greasy and disgusting and I didn't shower today.  And the thing is, I really wasn't sure if she was making any sort of move or not.  It's like if you were a gay guy and a straight guy started playing gay chicken.  What are you supposed to do about that?  Kiss 'em and hope you don't get your ass kicked?

It's not that I said no.  I acted a bit oblivious, that's all... if she's interested, there'll still be time.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43527 on: February 18, 2012, 11:44:37 pm »

I would play along and see how far I can get things...

Anyway, not my place to tell you that you should be looking after yourself, but it is nice to look after yourself. Stepping out of a nice warm shower after a shampoo and soap and wrapping yourself in a fluffy towel is a wonderful feeling.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43528 on: February 18, 2012, 11:46:46 pm »

It's like if you were a gay guy and a straight guy started playing gay chicken.  What are you supposed to do about that?  Kiss 'em and hope you don't get your ass kicked?

First of all, not all straight guys go 'HURR DURR A GAY GUY KISSED ME I BETTER MAKE HIM BE IN HIS PLACE'. :P
And I guess, you'd just have to see what would happen! You never know until you do something.

(I'm a straight male. I have been hit on by gay guys before. It's not uncommon because of my outwardly calm appearance. I don't respond like the average guy would, i'm like 'Uh, i'm not gay'.)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #43529 on: February 18, 2012, 11:48:04 pm »

My hair is greasy and disgusting and I didn't shower today.  And the thing is, I really wasn't sure if she was making any sort of move or not.  It's like if you were a gay guy and a straight guy started playing gay chicken.  What are you supposed to do about that?  Kiss 'em and hope you don't get your ass kicked?

It's not that I said no.  I acted a bit oblivious, that's all... if she's interested, there'll still be time.

Yeah.... This is why I try not to look at men and mostly I don't 90% of the time. Yet another reason I wish we could just be open about it.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 2900 2901 [2902] 2903 2904 ... 8167