Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9479968 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #4350 on: April 13, 2010, 02:15:19 am »

Shameless self promotion

Tired of video games? Get in shape! See the exercise thread in Life Advice
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: April 13, 2010, 02:49:04 am »

Wow. This is a momentous moment in my life. I've never known someone who actually wants to study algebra.

How can you not love algebra?, it's maths at it's purest and it allows you to explain everything.
It's too damn confusing, and I find it so... heartless. I like studying about people, places, events! I'm no fan of numbers, although math is essential to keep our society from grinding to a halt.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: April 13, 2010, 03:24:01 am »

Today I just realized how unimportant the progression of mankind or acquiring of knowledge is to almost everybody but a select few at my school.
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: April 13, 2010, 04:13:20 am »

Today I just realized how unimportant the progression of mankind or acquiring of knowledge is to almost everybody but a select few at my school.

I don't really get that. I mean I know some people don't seem to care but most of the ones I know personally it's more that they get apathetic about it all. Of course back at school it was more other things being more important and they had a lifetime ahead of them too.

It's a shame though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: April 13, 2010, 07:07:03 am »

I realized that a long time ago. Then I figured some things out. There are more people working on the progression than you think. The further we get, the closer we are to midnight.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: April 13, 2010, 11:02:35 am »

I went swimming today, and afterwards, I used the spa. Some Korean man came up and started talking to me, and I could barely get past his gutteral, thick accent. I told him my hearing sucks, and he told me I should take more B vitamins. When I said I take a multi-vitamin (to shut him up) he said it's not the right kind. I said I take riboflavin, b6, b12, and folic acid too (to shut him up), and he went on about how his hearing was bad until he found natural medicine. He then promptly told me my diet wasn't good, and I should stop eating red meat, out of nowhere! After saying I'm on a rigid diet, and that I exercise every day, he started complaining about how medication isn't the right answer. Somehow, the fact that I am a young adult with horrible hearing lead to him talking about how his son had bad hearing, and that he was bipolar! By this time, the Korean man was standing in the spa, and engaged in this nearly one sided conversation about how wrong I am! He demanded to know if I was bipolar too, and I said I was depressed once, but it was circumstantial, and not medical. He began defending his son's honor or something by saying the medication would make him go up and down, up and down, with accompanying hand raises and lowerings. He said the medication didn't help at all, and it's all because of America's message of being successful and wealthy. Apparently his son got a scholarship to a university because he was bipolar (I asked again to clarify that, since there was no escaping this conversation, and he was also blocking the spa's exit). His son is seeing a psychiatrist, who also takes medication, and you have to take medication to be a psychiatrist! His son apparently wants to be a psychologist, but he may not be able to until he takes the right medication. This guy's accent was so horrible, I could only catch pieces of what he was saying, but I had to understand the general gist of it or else he would stop and I had to say something, which he would ignore and continue with his ramblings.

Later on, when I was changing to leave, he managed to trap some poor guy in the changing room, and this poor guy had to hear a different plight, while they were both bare-ass naked!

Old men know no shame...
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: April 13, 2010, 11:23:20 am »

<Naked Korean Bipolar Spa Man Story>
Some day, I will be that guy... only every sob story I tell will actually be the plot to a random movie, and at the end I'll go "Just Kidding!" and skip off, half-naked, into the distance.

I'm presently sad at how hard it can be to motivate myself to do the things I know I have to do. It's annoying, having to wrestle with yourself to get out of bed in the morning, or run errands after work, etc. I know it's merely a matter of setting an intention, and doing it... but I'm tricky enough that I can fool myself into things that are more appealing immediately, but useless in the long-run.

Blargh.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: April 13, 2010, 11:29:28 am »

My computer isn't good enough to use the super awesome fun hidden stuff :'(. It's currently a choice between 20 fps at 80 dorfs or 1 fps with awesomeness.
I am so tempted to go there anyway.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: April 13, 2010, 11:38:39 am »

SNIP

Later on, when I was changing to leave, he managed to trap some poor guy in the changing room, and this poor guy had to hear a different plight, while they were both bare-ass naked!

Old men know no shame...

best thing to do when you dont want to be in a conversation is to break eye contact and not respond, walk away if you can even if it's not in the direction you were heading. If the person calls you on it simply state "I don't want to talk about this." Don't be angry or snarky, just be assertive.

if they don't leave you alone by then, they are just being an asshole, call them on that and feel free to be snarky and mean.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: April 13, 2010, 12:02:35 pm »

I just pull off the biggest hang nail and now there is blood everywhere, owwwy.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: April 13, 2010, 01:04:41 pm »

best way to get rid of hangnails i find is to get them hot and wet. so much easier and less painful to pull out or break off that way.

Is it just me or am I becoming annoying with all this advice giving?

to actually contribute to this thread, I'm sad/miffed that I'm trying hard to get comfortable with driving in this town and it's filled with crappy drivers. Just in one hour of driving I encountered:

a minivan parking halfway onto the side of the street, blocking traffic

a car pulling into my lane in-front of me to make a left turn without signaling or bothering to look if there were cars on this busy street possibly heading towards him

a car passing me by pulling into oncoming traffic on the busiest street in the city to get into a left turning lane

a woman honking at me from behind on a red light. we were both in the right lane, intending to turn right but there was a pedestrian crossing the street right in front of me. She was in a big SUV and I'm in a little training car, she had no way to give the "I couldn't see the person crossing the street through you" excuse. I honestly began to believe they wanted me to run over the pedestrian so I wouldn't be in her way.
----------------------
The Canadian government mandates via laws that I must share the road with these people if I want to use my bicycle. My government apparently wants me to die.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: April 13, 2010, 01:07:31 pm »

best way to get rid of hangnails i find is to get them hot and wet.

I'm a big fan of that technique for other purposes too.

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: April 13, 2010, 01:43:04 pm »

best way to get rid of hangnails i find is to get them hot and wet.

I'm a big fan of that technique for other purposes too.

[audience laughter][/audience laughter] oh you *waves her hand and rolls her eyes* [audience laughter][/audience laughter]

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: April 13, 2010, 02:43:29 pm »

Is it just me or am I becoming annoying with all this advice giving?
Nah. Getting advice is better then being ignored.

At least that's how I see it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: April 13, 2010, 03:00:31 pm »

Apparently need to go see a psychiatrist (hooray, it's the seventh or eighth person to tell me this)... cue gigantic screaming argument with my mother and, once again, statements that she doesn't care what I do and I'm having problems because I never did as she said.  Seriously, how many people here obeyed their parents' every word--or, more importantly, didn't exercise enough or eat well enough at times, and didn't end up crazy?

Some part of me really wants to take her up on her offer, spend a nice nine months battling depression and mania with her beautiful instructions and then finally give up in a shower of blood on the front steps of our house.  I may feel okay now, but I know I'll get that depressed eventually.  We also happen to own an exceptionally sharp Japanese cooking knife.

Yup.  "Vector, taken from us by obedience."

Awesome.  Now I have a nice nine months of total loneliness and probably daily bullying from both of my parents ahead of me.  Oh, I'm sorry... I have a nice rest of my life of bullying from both of my parents.  There's reasons why I've considered changing my name, cutting my hair, and moving to France.  I don't want to put up with this anymore.  My mother refuses any scenario where she isn't right, and she refuses any scenario where she isn't Vector's Mother and In Control of Vector.

She tells me to ignore others' advice because they aren't psychiatrists, and to ignore psychiatrists' advice because they are psychiatrists.  She tells me to ignore psychologists because of their focus, and my friends because they aren't focused enough.

Eventually, it all turns into this situation where I'm supposed to believe her... no one but her.  But of course I can't say that... because then it turns into her fixation on "YOU'D BE FINE IF YOU'D JUST DONE AS I TOLD YOU TO" once again.

Blargh.  I spent most of my life listening to her, and only her.  I can't do this anymore.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 8167