Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2880 2881 [2882] 2883 2884 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9424272 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #43215 on: February 10, 2012, 11:14:13 pm »

... what does reading a book have to do with using your brain, anyway? I mean, the better ones, maybe, but there's plenty of autopilot semi-brainless junk novels of varying sorts and forms. I mean, hell, most fanfiction. You don't have to think to read that stuff. Just read.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #43216 on: February 10, 2012, 11:17:12 pm »

My brain is made of pain and mucus. Words are squiggly. Reading hurts my brain right now.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43217 on: February 10, 2012, 11:22:23 pm »

To be fair, when I feel sick, I don't always feel up to much. I love reading, but not always when I'm feeling Bleh. Depends on the illness.

Ninja'd. Point stands.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #43218 on: February 10, 2012, 11:24:14 pm »

Ah! Solution!

Audio book.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43219 on: February 10, 2012, 11:33:24 pm »

I'm sad today because I slept through dinner, and now I'm going to have to go buy some.  Oh, and before this I'd eaten nothing but a coffee, a handful of nuts, and a small muffin all day.

Oh, and I have another three or four hours of work I have to put in this evening.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #43220 on: February 11, 2012, 12:07:30 am »

Little bit back in the thread, but I didn't read this thread on the 9th.

I'm young, I'm over-educated, and I've spent my entire life putting up with other people, being bullied, and doing my damndest to be invisible.  What I'm craving is a venue in which I don't have to do it 24/7, and in which no one's pretending that I'm being intellectually stimulated.
Have you considered challenging out of courses? I don't know about California, but in Washington every public school has to allow you an opportunity to 'skip' the class. Here, you usually take a test or do a project of some kind, and then they evaluate it. If they consider it good enough, you can buy the credits for a small fee. (At my college, $5-$7 apiece.) Not only do you not have to do classes that you already know everything in, but you can save a boatload of money in tuition. I've obtained about a third of the credits for my AA just by testing out of classes that were related to research I'd already done for Knowledge Bowl. Busywork is anathema to me as well; I  absolutely hate doing it. I just go over the syllabus, research anything I'm unsure of, and take the test. If you're not going to learn anything, there's no need to take the class.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43221 on: February 11, 2012, 12:45:31 am »

At this point, I've been department-hopping and learning methodologies of various folks.  I can't test out of any math classes, and I can't just sit down and say "hey, I wanna take two math courses this semester and nothing else."

I came in being basically half a credit away from junior status.  After this semester, I'll technically have my degree in pure mathematics, with both breadth and technical requirements fulfilled.  I'm only staying because I want to try graduate work before I get the fuck out of here, and I decided last minute that I wanted to get some formal training in programming, so I can get a cushy-enough job when I graduate.

The thing that really grinds my nads is that I've gotten good enough at this stuff that a lot of the problem sets just aren't hard or interesting anymore.  I'd never expected to feel anything like mathematically competent, but hey, here we are.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43222 on: February 11, 2012, 02:03:48 am »

Woo competence!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43223 on: February 11, 2012, 02:48:54 am »

Yeah, time to seek new challenges, it seems.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43224 on: February 11, 2012, 03:44:23 am »

My roomate sexiled me tonight without warning. I barely had time to get my card before leaving.

Now, even though I hate my roomate, I happen to be a true Bro at heart and try not to cock-block other guys. So, so basically I waited outside a few hours waiting for whoever he was porking to leave.

Apparently, he's decided to fall asleep with her. Good call, I'll just sleep on one of my friend's floors-wait I have no friends cool like that. Wait! maybe I can just sleep in the dorm room furniture-oh wait we get rousted if we do that.

Worst thing is that I have no idea when he'll actually be done. The least he could do is put a tie around the door or something but nooooooo.

It's 3:40 am right now and I'm on the library's shitty computer in the interm, since the library is thankfully open 24/7 here. I don't know what I'm going to do in the morning, but after this is over I am going to go off on him big time.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43225 on: February 11, 2012, 03:53:00 am »

D:

You really should go and berate him after that.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #43226 on: February 11, 2012, 03:53:59 am »

I suggest something involving a bucket of cold water and very good running shoes.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43227 on: February 11, 2012, 03:57:24 am »

Sorry Heliman, but that seems sort of funny...
I suggest making them both breakfast, with eggs and bacon and orange juice, and serve it to them first thing tomorrow morning. MUHAHAHAHAHA.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43228 on: February 11, 2012, 04:53:37 am »

Sorry Heliman, but that seems sort of funny...
I suggest making them both breakfast, with eggs and bacon and orange juice, and serve it to them first thing tomorrow morning. MUHAHAHAHAHA.
Make a habit of making him breakfast and each day add more and more metamucil-like flavorless fiber supplements. Truly, there are few things more unsettling than a drastic change in your poop schedule.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43229 on: February 11, 2012, 12:53:21 pm »

Scaraban that is fucking scary to do to somebody without telling them near the two week mark. I'd make sure to tell him before he goes to the doctor and then blows money on getting checked out for some stupid prank. Unless you guys are in some goddamn commie land where you don't have to worry about getting sick and losing over a hundred dollars over a check-up. The american medical system rules.
Pages: 1 ... 2880 2881 [2882] 2883 2884 ... 8167