Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2867 2868 [2869] 2870 2871 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9423779 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #43020 on: February 07, 2012, 02:55:56 pm »

Ugh... yeah, I've had the luxury of a research assistantship instead of a teaching assistantship.  My advisor and the graduate director keep trying to pressure me into teaching an introductory class or something, but I'm really not getting my Ph.D to teach.  I don't think I'm cut out for that.  I'm not a leader in any sense, I'm a follower.  And that goes for teaching too.  Plus I'm terrible at conveying my ideas.

I have no joy at the thought of trying to teach students.  I understand completely where you're coming from.  Some are great and know their stuff.  Others... not so much.

And I really don't want to have to grade anything for anyone.  I'm the world's worst doormat.  You could probably talk me into giving you a good grade on just about anything if you tried hard enough.  I don't want to do my advisor and the students a disservice by doing that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43021 on: February 07, 2012, 03:02:43 pm »

The thing I hate most about this is realizing that graduate school is going to be even worse.  Like, five times worse.  I feel stupid now... just imagine what it'll be like then =/
I don't know what it would be like for math, but in my case graduate school was two of the happiest years of my life. I was finally at a level where it felt like all my fellow students were as bright and engaged in the material as I was. Not to sound egotistical or anything, but there were big parts of undergrad that were like pulling teeth because of having to suffer through people in my classes that quite simply had no business being there. Like the guy in one of my history courses that needed an entire class devoted to him not understanding how to do footnotes, until the rest of the class finally said, "Dude...STFU. Go to the Writing Center. This is not the place for that."

Or the people in my earth science pre-req class that still couldn't grasp latitude and longitude after two whole classes. (That was the same class that after the first exam, my prof took me aside and told me, "Look...just show up for the exams. You don't need to waste your time here the rest of the time.")

Grad school was hard enough that I couldn't just slack off and rely on my superior test-taking skills to skate by. And interesting enough that I actually wanted to be there. And it's an entirely different environment when your professor can legitimately say, "Okay, we're going to hold class at the bar across the street tonight," and class consists mostly of drinking beer and arguing about the reading material at a highbrow level.  :D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43022 on: February 07, 2012, 03:10:51 pm »

My problem is that I am not patient with people in general and absolutely will not tolerate those who can't seem to RTFM or spend more time point-grubbing than trying hard.  I don't have a problem with legitimate stupidity or the occasional poor planning (these are things I possess in spades).  I have problems with people who get more attached to the framework than the task at hand.

If I were going into the humanities, yeah, I imagine grad school would be a lot more fun than undergrad.  As a math student who has already seen the sheer personality breakdown through extreme social and performance pressure that my major inflicts on the best and brightest, I'm not really looking forward to even more of the same just now.

*sigh*

Oh, well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #43023 on: February 07, 2012, 03:12:16 pm »

I would fail the beer drinking class.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #43024 on: February 07, 2012, 03:12:28 pm »

My problem is that I am not patient with people in general and absolutely will not tolerate those who can't seem to RTFM or spend more time point-grubbing than trying hard.  I don't have a problem with legitimate stupidity or the occasional poor planning (these are things I possess in spades).  I have problems with people who get more attached to the framework than the task at hand.

If I were going into the humanities, yeah, I imagine grad school would be a lot more fun than undergrad.  As a math student who has already seen the sheer personality breakdown through extreme social and performance pressure that my major inflicts on the best and brightest, I'm not really looking forward to even more of the same just now.

*sigh*

Oh, well.
So go for a Master's in French Literature instead, and argue about Voltaire over glasses of wine.  ;D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43025 on: February 07, 2012, 03:26:00 pm »

For some reason the last couple of nights I've been overheating in bed. Which is really weird because it's pretty chilly around here right now. Somehow no matter how much I was out of the covers, I still managed to feel hot, while feeling cold from the cold air on my skin all around. I have no fecking clue what that's about, maybe I'm sick with something.
Go to the doctor and get some bloodwork done.  That sounds like how my leukemia started for me.  If you start feeling hot and tired during the day, or get nauseous all the time, definitely get it checked.  Of course, it could be something else, so you need to get it checked by a doctor and not rely on some guy on the internet for your diagnosis.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43026 on: February 07, 2012, 05:06:47 pm »

you'll have a thesis for the MS

Not necessarily true.  I got my master's degree in computer science without a thesis.  Granted, we had to take a monster brain-fucking exam covering the entire two years of grad school instead, but the whole thesis thing isn't guaranteed. 

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43027 on: February 07, 2012, 05:36:58 pm »

Maxs Zero and White: Thank you for being nice. I sometimes forget that not all straight guys are mean. It's nice to be reminded.
I'm actually bi, but close enough. :P

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43028 on: February 07, 2012, 05:40:09 pm »

I'm a straight guy and I'm ok!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43029 on: February 07, 2012, 05:54:20 pm »

Some very bizzare shit has been happening with my internet, such as random gigantic slowdowns and crashes.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43030 on: February 07, 2012, 06:04:43 pm »

Sorry about that. I just upgraded on my end. All the bandwidth is mine, MINE!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43031 on: February 07, 2012, 06:18:10 pm »

AoD, i think you'd be best off getting a NEW COMPUTER.

MAX, GIMMEH YOUR BANDWIDTH. 150KBps with an advertised 20,000Kbps (2500KBps) is not fun. And that's when it's going quickly. :3

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #43032 on: February 07, 2012, 06:25:15 pm »

I killed my soul with boooOOOoooOOOooombs.  :[  Bad day.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43033 on: February 07, 2012, 06:27:58 pm »

MAX, GIMMEH YOUR BANDWIDTH. 150KBps with an advertised 20,000Kbps (2500KBps) is not fun. And that's when it's going quickly. :3
I'm currently going at about 300K on a 6Mb connection.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43034 on: February 07, 2012, 06:35:27 pm »

I'm currently going at about 300K on a 6Mb connection.

fun fact, when most internet companies advertise their internet speed in kbps, they are referring to kilobits per second, and not kilobytes.  it's a little marketing scheme to make people think they're getting a better deal than they are.

kind of like how companies that sell hard drives use the 1 kilobyte = 1000 bytes exchange, which isn't true, but thats how they sell their crap. making a 1 terrabyte hard drive NOT 1 terrabyte... ever..

fuggin marketing.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.
Pages: 1 ... 2867 2868 [2869] 2870 2871 ... 8167