Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2855 2856 [2857] 2858 2859 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9424322 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #42840 on: February 03, 2012, 01:24:12 am »

I'll say that, in recent months, I've begun to question whether it's something I am interested in. I feel like I've vaguely gone on about the subject before, but it's possible I've only imagined making posts, but at any rate, I'm starting to get comfortable with my life regardless. I've got friends I can talk to when I need emotional support, I've got those same friends when I need social activity, the Internet provides me with a huge range of additional acquaintances (thanks for that, by the way), and I don't feel a need to have a person to share the more physical aspects of a romantic relationship with.

That isn't to say I don't get crushes and stuff. Those happen... too frequently for my taste, really. Almost universally, they're based on an incomplete picture of the person involved. On the plus side, I guess, that picture can now be mental as well as physical, but eh. Point being, they're all so... superficial. And I've got to a point in my life where I can see that. Add that to the fact that, while I might feel an urge to be in a romance with somebody in particular, a romance is at the same time something I don't actually want and I know that, and I don't think I'd be very happy - and I wouldn't be a particularly good boyfriend, either. That kind of dissonance is not something stable enough to build a working relationship on. So while I've got the brief impulses, it's not something I want to act on, and I don't see any joy coming from doing so.

Anyway, that's my own feelings. They're not actually relevant to much, but since the topic came up I felt like just getting them down in text. No advice or words of wisdom (hah! Sorry, "wise Bauglir" is such a silly mental image to me - probably my beard has grown and gone all white, and I am enrobed, because that's about the only way that is going to happen) in this post.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42841 on: February 03, 2012, 01:42:40 am »

For me, I knew I didn't want a relationship - until I turned 21, at which point I decided I DID, after all.

Waiting for you, yourself, to be ready (if you ever want to) is not a bad idea, especially if you've already spent some time out and about getting a feel for what you actually want with some sort of light dating of some sort (or terribly messy relationships that don't work out - I, of course, opted for the second as my own learning experience).

On the other hand, knowing I can have someone I trust absolutely, 100%, who would be more than willing to follow me to the ends of the earth, who I do not have to worry about hiding any part of myself from... that's been really nice. If you can get that from friends, well... more power to you. That's pretty cool. But before I met the woman I married, I never had a friend like that.

But I'm a bit of a weird case, though. My only requirements in a significant other were "absolute trust, both ways", and "able to have some good laughs together". The most important thing really is knowing what you want, and if its something you can live without for the time being or you can manage if not quite as well on your own, then don't stress about it too much. Just be ready to seize the opportunity if it /does/ come up, really. I mean, I never would have thought I'd found what I did in the circumstances in which it arose, not in a million years.

Aaaand, that's enough worthless advice from me.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42842 on: February 03, 2012, 06:16:03 am »

The one relationship I did truly have was abysmal. I've no wish to let myself get swallowed up by that again.

But my thought is that there is definitely someone out there, and without searching I will not find them.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #42843 on: February 03, 2012, 10:30:41 am »

Relationships suck, but I miss having the feeling that someone cares about me, but I am not even really sure if I ever had someone who really did.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:50:43 am by Nadaka »
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42844 on: February 03, 2012, 10:49:19 am »

Got my wisdom teeth pulled out today.

Clearly other people here have not had thier wisdom teeth removed, or this man would be getting heaps of pity.  I haven't myself (apparently I only have one, and it isn't going anywhere) but my significant other did, and oh man was that bad.  Do whatever the dental surgeon told you.  Don't suck anything or create any sort of low-pressure zone in your mouth.  You really, really, really, do not want to get a dry socket.  My SO got two, and even with 800mg of ibuprofen she still wanted to smash a wall with her head.  If you do start getting symptoms of a dry socket, get that shit treated straight away. 

I'm kind of disillusioned with romance myself, in fact I think I've kind of resolved to die a virgin. It doesn't seem like a big deal to me, at one point it did, but not any more.

While it may be cliche, and one advice doesn't fit all, I can say that there are worse things than dying as a virgin.  Being in an ulcer-inducing relationship for over 10 years for instance.  I'd swap you positions in a heartbeat. 

And on to my own sadness, reading this article did it for me.  Although, it's kind of anger-sadness.  Either way, bad stuff.  I'm not sure if it's your area of expertise, but I'd be curious to hear what Truean has to say about the legal stuff the author was wondering about. 

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42845 on: February 03, 2012, 11:00:29 am »

I feel like I hate my job for no reason. I just want to lay down in a pile of gravel and cry. Maybe die. Or get a job teaching. Death or teaching, either would be good. (I assume they would cease being good enough if either where a real option) I don't know. I don't know anything right now. God, I hate feeling like this and the worst part is that as far as I can tell there's not even a reason for me to feel like this.

I've barely slept in two nights because I don't want to go to bed, I've got nothing done and despite being awake longer I feel like I've done nothing but run out of time. I'm not going to work on time, and I'm running the risk of getting fired - when I get to work, I don't get anything done anyways.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #42846 on: February 03, 2012, 11:15:53 am »

Remember my rebellious anarcho-punk wisdom tooth? You know, the one that's lying horizontally (it does not conform to your ways, square). The dentist convinced me it might be better to take it out anyway, so I'm on the waiting list for surgery now. I'm gonna miss the little bastard.
Love, scriver~

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42847 on: February 03, 2012, 11:28:43 am »

Hurgh, energy gone. Damn. Probably it was less than 8 hours' sleep on the floor that has done me in, but hey, when you have a guest, guest gets the bed. Especially when guest has to drive 3 hours to get home in the morning before her classes start. Hopefully I'll be restored by tomorrow, but today is gonna suck, especially because I somehow have to fill 4 hours of time before work and I don't wanna do any of the things I want go get done. Maybe I'll just play the Witcher and feel guilty about slacking? My Force Push Aard ability could always use improvement, I suppose.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42848 on: February 03, 2012, 11:41:58 am »

Maybe I'll just play the Witcher and feel guilty about slacking? My Force Push Aard ability could always use improvement, I suppose.

Is everyone here playing the Witcher now?  Man, I've got to step it up.  I'm only in that first big town (Vizima?). 

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42849 on: February 03, 2012, 11:45:46 am »

I'm in the first town after the castle you start in. Just long enough to get drunk in a bar and unintentionally threaten an innkeeper. You're ahead of me, is what I'm saying.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42850 on: February 03, 2012, 12:11:03 pm »

Remember my rebellious anarcho-punk wisdom tooth? You know, the one that's lying horizontally (it does not conform to your ways, square). The dentist convinced me it might be better to take it out anyway, so I'm on the waiting list for surgery now. I'm gonna miss the little bastard.
oh have fun with that one, they cut the top half remove that then move the other half up to pull them out.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42851 on: February 03, 2012, 12:19:03 pm »

oh have fun with that one, they cut the top half remove that then move the other half up to pull them out.
Or in my case, break the top half off by accident so that only the roots are left in, then bore out a gigantic hole in your flesh so they can reach and extract the roots. I know this, because I was awake during the whole thing. Luckily, I was on nitrous oxide at the time, so not a single fuck was given. Until later, when all the free drugs wore off and I began feeling all four holes in my jaws.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #42852 on: February 03, 2012, 12:41:07 pm »

I kinda doubt they'll do it that way with me, though, seeming as the tooth is lying down 90 degrees on the side (that is, what would normally point upwards is pointing intowards the other teeth - it's the tooth that kicked out to the world ;)). So if the tried to remove the relative "top" they'd still have to cut open my gum and take out half the root.

So most likely, it's going to be a lot worse for me. In other words, Tue world kicks back a lot fucking harder.
Love, scriver~

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42853 on: February 03, 2012, 01:07:59 pm »

I kinda doubt they'll do it that way with me, though, seeming as the tooth is lying down 90 degrees on the side (that is, what would normally point upwards is pointing intowards the other teeth - it's the tooth that kicked out to the world ;)). So if the tried to remove the relative "top" they'd still have to cut open my gum and take out half the root.

So most likely, it's going to be a lot worse for me. In other words, Tue world kicks back a lot fucking harder.
Same here bro, the doc spent 45minutes digging around the last one and apparently had to break it in 12 pieces to extract it as like you it was 90 degrees but was already impacted against my molar. I wanted to throw that dentist through the window so many times on that chair. And gas and novocaine didn't do shit.

OwlEpicurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42854 on: February 03, 2012, 02:01:14 pm »

A bit late to the party, but...

Romance is fun, isn't it?  It's even better when you're a socially-awkward introvert who went to a tiny high school, so you don't get your first serious brush with it until college.  Especially when it turns out you're something other than straight.

And that is the past three weeks of my life in a nutshell.
Pages: 1 ... 2855 2856 [2857] 2858 2859 ... 8167