Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2838 2839 [2840] 2841 2842 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9424212 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #42585 on: January 28, 2012, 12:47:01 am »

She doesn't know. She just knows that she's unhappy.

But she knows that it's your relationship that's making her unhappy?  She could just be depressed and trying to attribute it to something.

Try to figure out something to do together that you've never done before.  Something you wouldn't normally do.  Shake things up a bit.

Or completely ignore me because I'm just a guy from the internet who knows very little about your situation.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42586 on: January 28, 2012, 12:51:16 am »

We'll see how things go. I dunno. I don't even know how I want to react, or how reasonable I want to be. I really want to be a nice guy, and I want her to be happy, but I don't want to just let her walk away and fuck up our daughter's life.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42587 on: January 28, 2012, 02:10:14 am »

It's the MSX one.  It's mostly easier than the MGS series, in which I seem to die approximately every two seconds, but it's still got its hard parts.

Well, never mind.  Out of the blue, my save stopped working soon after saving Gray Fox.  Guess I'll just have to try some other time.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42588 on: January 28, 2012, 02:10:55 am »

It's the MSX one.  It's mostly easier than the MGS series, in which I seem to die approximately every two seconds, but it's still got its hard parts.

Well, never mind.  Out of the blue, my save stopped working soon after saving Gray Fox.  Guess I'll just have to try some other time.

Frank's a wily one, he is...
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42589 on: January 28, 2012, 02:19:05 am »

Hrm, looks like my mother needs to claim me as a dependent after all. That's $1150 I'll never see, but I hope hers work out to better'n that. Which is entirely possible. It's also possible that some of the earlier calculations were based on flawed information, so it might not be that much money, but still. I had my hopes up for a bit there. Car, you will have to make do with inferior maintenance for a few more months. Debts, you will have to be paid at the expected rate instead of instantaneously. Further luxuries, you will have to remain unpurchased for the foreseeable future. [/small problems]
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42590 on: January 28, 2012, 02:31:33 am »

Frank's a wily one, he is...

On the other hand, I now have rather large portions of the base memorized and know my way through near a solid third of the game.  That's not too shabby.  I'll probably play all the way through tomorrow morning.  Then I can do Metal Gear 2, and finish my Otacon run from MGS1, and... well, maybe the completion for MGS2 + dicking around in Splinter Cell will last me the year and a half before I get a (temporary, in order to make a little nest egg that will help me through the PhD years) job in the tech industry and forever quell my hedonistic desire for powerful electronics.

For now, though, it's time to finish The Witcher :I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #42591 on: January 28, 2012, 02:32:56 am »

@Truean - Sorry to hear that, I hope everything works out for you and the band. The guy's family, too.

@MaximumZero - I've not the experience to advise you, but I'm here for you on the internet, bro.

@Vector - I think you should try playing the game from inside a cardboard box. It's clear that Metal Gear somehow detected your approach. Proceed with extreme caution.

It smallfeel in comparison, but I unjoyed by Orwellian Mic Friday. 'Open Mic Friday' official name. The poetry class used to have people volunteer to read poems aloud during class on Fridays. This classified ownself. Now turns compulsory, or they doubleplusunsucceed at the class.

Luckily for me, I'm only auditing the class because to actually take it would screw with the funding for my college classes. (It's complicated.) The people that actually want to share poetry don't have the opportunity most of the time, and everyone else either reads off Shel Silverstein (which was fun for the first four) or crappy limericks that they wrote while waiting for their turn. On the other hand, I got a friend of mine to read the 'THIS WARN YOU' memo from 1984. "Everything not banned compulsory. Everything not compulsory banned." and all that jazz.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 02:35:18 am by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42592 on: January 28, 2012, 03:20:12 am »

@Truean
Really, really sorry to hear that... Offering my condolences.

I will say no more; I might sound like a jerk if I do.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #42593 on: January 28, 2012, 04:21:42 am »

Maybe I'm more sensitive than usual today, but I was genuinelly saddened by MZ's post :-(
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42594 on: January 28, 2012, 01:28:50 pm »

Maybe I'm more sensitive than usual today, but I was genuinelly saddened by MZ's post :-(
Thanks everyone, and Chairman, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to bring you down.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #42595 on: January 28, 2012, 03:03:09 pm »

Not your fault, nothing to apologize about.  I think we're all in shock and are unsure of how to help.  *hug*

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #42596 on: January 28, 2012, 03:16:40 pm »

Yeah, it's just that it seems so out of the blue that it makes it seem rather tragic even to a third party such as me.

And besides, as I said, I was particularily nervous because of this MIR exam thing.

Which I think went decent. Hopefully I'll score inside the range of my last simulacrums, and thus be able to pick a residency slot to specialize in surgery.

However, there were part of the exam which were particularily hard... hrmmmm :/
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #42597 on: January 28, 2012, 04:09:17 pm »

Thank you all. [Soft, appreciative hugs to Vector, we're gonna lie and say without tears].

I really wanted to get drunk last night, but I'm glad I didn't. I know it's terrible for me. Truthfully, I'm not a very strong person, but I'm an exceptional liar about it. I will always feel it was partially my fault, for not seeing it, and perhaps for pushing him too hard. I'm simply supposed to be better than this and I'm not. We've all agreed not to tell anyone about him saying he'd leave the band.... I think maybe in his own way, he was trying to get us ready for his absence. I'm going to end up stuck doing the eulogy, [sigh]. Fuck it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Who knows, maybe I'll reform or shorten it, work it into something. I don't care. I'll figure something out. I always mostly do. I've had similar things happen before, but I didn't know the people as long or as well as him. I really liked him. I know the pieces fit, but I've stopped trying to put them into place.

He knew everyone. I knew everything about him. He was real; everything right there on the label. There wasn't a mean bone in his body. He introduced me to the guy I'm dating now. He never cared and just wanted me to make him money. I did. He tried to get me to take more than my 10% and stop bothering him with accounting statements, and show bookings. I never did.

I'll tie this off at some point soon.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42598 on: January 28, 2012, 04:12:50 pm »

Oh come on dude, not MZ too?

Well this day is getting worse by the minute.

The biggest sad today was my parents visiting, after the initial 15 minutes of jumping jack happy it quickly turned into criticism guilt tripping which nearly ended with me in tears (self control hell yeah). I know they mean well and that I haven't been the best student ever but damn it people there are better ways to compell someone to study than guilting them into it (not like I didn't already feel like a dirty parasite). Another thing is the talk I had with my father, not hearing about transfering to a different college or even dropping out, he's of the mindset that I need to do crap that I don't if I want do to crap I like and is convinced that I will learn to like this stuff with time. He does have a point, but I'm more worried about the fact that knowing myself and my love of safe and cuddly routine that once I fall into it it will be hellishly hard to try and do my art as anything more than a hobby :(
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42599 on: January 28, 2012, 06:49:13 pm »

My friend is grounded for a couple months for watching 'Pretty Little Liars'. Apparently she had no clue that she wasn't allowed to watch it at all, and the reason her parents gave that the show was inappropriate?

It has a lesbian in it! :O

I haven't watched the show, but beyond that, from what I've heard, there isn't anything her parents would object to. =/
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 2838 2839 [2840] 2841 2842 ... 8167