Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2771 2772 [2773] 2774 2775 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9452736 times)

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41580 on: January 03, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »

What is it about birthdays that cause people you haven't talked to in months to try to get you to go do things with them? With every person I turn down I feel a little more like shit and a little more alone. My best friend sent me this Facebook message.
Me and M- are gonna come kick it with you for your birthday tomorrow.
I replied.
well im almost out of wine and money so maybe you dont really want to come kick it.

I woke up happy and ignorant. Now everyone keeps bringing me down in ways they think will make me happy. I wish it weren't too early to drink...
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41581 on: January 03, 2012, 12:40:54 pm »

I wish it weren't too early to drink...
I'll drink to this.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41582 on: January 03, 2012, 12:47:43 pm »

The other 1%; seeking psychopaths for financial management.
He then makes an astonishing confession: "At one major investment bank for which I worked, we used psychometric testing to recruit social psychopaths because their characteristics exactly suited them to senior corporate finance roles."

Here was one of the biggest investment banks in the world seeking psychopaths as recruits.
This is sad rather than WTF because it isn't particularly surprising at this point.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41583 on: January 03, 2012, 12:52:16 pm »

Truean is like the Hellboy of lawyers: a being created for evil (a lawyer :P), using her powers for good. And being generally badass while doing it.

+20 kudos for a most excellent simile~

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41584 on: January 03, 2012, 01:06:51 pm »

Gaaah. Remember the agent that I mentioned getting killed on New Year's Eve? It's been confirmed as a friendly fire incident. Apparently the agent had single-handedly wounded and subdued the robber. Then come the two New York cops running to the scene, see the agent armed and standing over the guy, misinterpret the situation, and try to subdue the agent. As one of the cops is pushing the ATF agent up against a wall, the cop's gun went off. Then the robber tries to grab the agent's gun when it hit the ground, and the other cop shot and killed the robber.

Goddammit. If there hadn't been two cops next door, all this woulda been wrapped up with a lightly-wounded robber in police custody and an ATF agent getting some kudos for stopping a robbery. Instead, we got two dead guys, widows, orphaned children and probably an internal affairs investigation. Dammit, dammit, dammit.  >:(

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #41585 on: January 03, 2012, 01:45:42 pm »

if someone comes into a lawyer's office and tells them they murdered another human being and it felt good, the lawyer is actually punished if they report that to the police. They can't do it.
If you are forced to defend somebody in court accused of murder and the defendant confesses to you in private doesn't it become very difficult to represent them? I was under the impression that a lawyer couldn't knowingly give false testament or evidence. I realise most of what I know about law is hearsay and likely rubbish.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41586 on: January 03, 2012, 01:59:28 pm »

Thank you RedKing and Ein. :)

if someone comes into a lawyer's office and tells them they murdered another human being and it felt good, the lawyer is actually punished if they report that to the police. They can't do it.
If you are forced to defend somebody in court accused of murder and the defendant confesses to you in private doesn't it become very difficult to represent them? I was under the impression that a lawyer couldn't knowingly give false testament or evidence. I realise most of what I know about law is hearsay and likely rubbish.

Difficult, yes. Impossible no.

First consider the practical side of it. Almost EVERY criminal defendant says they are innocent, same with prison inmates. Except they're in prison.... Many are guilty and thus lied.... Yeah.... The confession makes it harder though. This is why I cut them the hell off proactively, "I do not want to know if you did it; do not tell me either way. Remember, anything you say here, I'm stuck with and you can't change it later. Slow down and calmly tell me...."

Second, assuming confession, there are numerous possible avenues depending on jurisdiction. a.) "testify in the narrative" lawyer asks no questions, and criminal defendant just speaks, b.) correct the record (dangerous and fraught with confidentiality perils), c.) tactfully tell the judge at sidebar, who might chose not to admit the evidence due to this (again confidentiality perils). It really does vary upon what Rules of Professional Conduct are available in your jurisdiction.

Take a look back at the link I posted immediately after that quoted portion. Mr. Frank Armani esq had to deal with Robert Garrow confessing to numerous crimes including murders (plural). He also told his lawyer the location of the bodies; lawyer investigated and yes... there were bodies in the old mine shaft.... Rule 1.6 confidentiality always applies to past committed crimes. This forced Mr. Armani to keep quiet. Public outrage ruined Mr. Armani's law practice, because everyone thought he was "corrupt," for keeping quiet after the confession. He would've been disbarred if he said anything. He is a cautionary tale in legal ethics text books now, and there is still no really good answer to the problem. http://www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/the_toughest_call/

What's even better, they were forced by the court to represent Mr. Garrow even after they basically begged the judge to let them out of the case. If there was actually Justice, the system would've declared Robert Garrow insane and/or let the lawyers off the hook. Not gonna happen though.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 02:08:04 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #41587 on: January 03, 2012, 04:03:13 pm »

Apparently, my bro has gone two months without his medication.  He says the medication makes him fat, smelly, and he's tired of all the neighbors talking about him (they don't talk about him, that's a hallucination of his.  He says he can clearly hear the neighbors no matter where he goes...)  He says people don't drive behind him because he smells.  When we say we don't smell anything on him, he says we must be used to it.  He believes the neighbors implanted listening devices into his brain and ears, allowing them to monitor his thoughts, sights, and smells.  Even when I explain how this is a physical impossibility right now for even the brightest scientists in the world, much less our elderly neighbors, doesn't work.  Right now, he pretty much wants to pack some clothes and run out of the house.  Part of me would be happy to be rid of him and his insanity.  The other part of me wonders why destiny, or God, or whatever, decided my bro's life absolutely needed to be ruined by a good 'ol mental illness.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 04:05:33 pm by Euld »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41588 on: January 03, 2012, 04:57:57 pm »

My stuttering's been getting a lot worse recently, and I've been having a lot more problems with substituting letters in the wrong places, like saying "bigrade" instead of "brigade," or having the south end of a sentence dissolve into nonsensical babbling noises.  Vowel-bending, too...

There's something sort of "emasculating" and frustrating about it.  I've started sounding really stupid.  It's not at the point where I'm nervous about talking, yet, or I might just give up for a couple of years, but I'm tired of my mouth not paying attention to what my brain tells it.

Also been having nightmares pretty much constantly for a few months now.

Oh well.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #41589 on: January 03, 2012, 05:00:57 pm »

Spoonerisms can be a sign of mental fatigue. I go through phases of that too, along with something similar where typing becomes difficult because my fingers sort of freeze up and I have to mentally concentrate on making my fingers hit the damned keys.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41590 on: January 03, 2012, 05:05:55 pm »

Nah, I haven't been doing anything mentally strenuous at all, and it's equally bad right before I go to bed as when I get up after 9 hours and am ready to go.  I had stutters so bad that I pretty much couldn't talk and was placed in a class for the deaf for two years when I was in early elementary school.  They started making a comeback a couple years ago and have been steadily returning ever since.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:09:03 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #41591 on: January 03, 2012, 05:07:22 pm »

People who stutter are pretty cool~
Always keepin' the b-b-b-beat~

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #41592 on: January 03, 2012, 05:14:29 pm »

Stuttering itself is painful and embarrassing though. I still sometimes get made fun of for stuttering and I rarely do it anymore. Plus it's frustrating as hell, especially for a perfectionist. You know the word. You can say the word, you've said it a hundred times. However you just CANNOT fucking get it to come out of your mouth. It really sucks.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 05:25:26 pm by fqllve »
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #41593 on: January 03, 2012, 05:16:08 pm »

this sore throat thing is pissing me off. Difficult to swallow, loads of phglem, ugh ugh ugh.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #41594 on: January 03, 2012, 05:25:32 pm »

I remember why The Ship died so fast.  Flubbing a good concept as bad as they did should get you a lifetime ban from making video games.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 2771 2772 [2773] 2774 2775 ... 8167