Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2735 2736 [2737] 2738 2739 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448544 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #41040 on: December 20, 2011, 12:08:01 pm »

Truean, what can a person do to get legal services if they can't /afford/ a lawyer, though?

Not to say that's usually the case, of course, many people are just skinflints, but its certainly not uncommon to be essentially bankrupted by elgal proceedings...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41041 on: December 20, 2011, 12:11:33 pm »

Usually you can strike a deal with the prosecutor depending on the crime and leniency of your lifeworth. My buddy gotten away with alot more shit by just admitting hes guilty.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41042 on: December 20, 2011, 12:15:04 pm »

Well I know there are public defenders for when you've been accused of a crime, but I'm more talking about situations where you've just spent the last four years and all your cash creating a product and some company comes along and yanks it out from under your feet, sells it themselves, and then sues you when you complain about it.

Not actually sure how common that is, but I know at least a couple companies, for example, that ended up winning their cases but losing the battle because it bankrupted them.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41043 on: December 20, 2011, 12:16:35 pm »

Well I know there are public defenders for when you've been accused of a crime, but I'm more talking about situations where you've just spent the last four years and all your cash creating a product and some company comes along and yanks it out from under your feet, sells it themselves, and then sues you when you complain about it.

Not actually sure how common that is, but I know at least a couple companies, for example, that ended up winning their cases but losing the battle because it bankrupted them.
Comes down to one question, did you patent the product?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41044 on: December 20, 2011, 12:22:44 pm »

Just found out Necro's been banned.

Well he was immature at times and he did break the rules, but he I liked his magma meme which he dragged from the upper forums...It reminded me of when I played DF near religiously. Necro was, in my mind, part of the Regulars™ of Bay 12.

Au revoir, high priest of magma.

+1

Is a sad day for me, as I found his commentary amusing.  I never had him derail any of my threads though, so perhaps I don't fully appreciate the picture.  And I do understand why he was banned.  At the very least, Toady gave him plenty of warning about the derailing.

So I'm sad Necro is gone, but I'm mostly sad he couldn't keep himself under control.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41045 on: December 20, 2011, 12:24:54 pm »

Me: ALRIGHT LET'S DO THIS WAKING UP AT 7 AM
* SirAaronIII gets up
* SirAaronIII falls back asleep
2 hours later
Me: ALRIGHT LET'S DO THIS WAKING UP AT 7 wait shit no
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41046 on: December 20, 2011, 12:32:40 pm »

The trick is a music-based alarm clock loud enough to wake the neighbors and sufficiently difficult to turn off you have to be fully conscious to manage it. Put the alarm on the other side of the room and obstacles between you and it.

There's computer-based stuff that's pretty reliable. Mix that with noise music (or anything sufficiently jarring, really) set to 11 and th'ruddy gods couldn't keep you asleep.

... 'course, if you startle easy, it might also give you a heart attack, but hey. At least you woke up.

Anyway, that was my trick to waking up at 3-4 AM for several years. Works pretty well!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41047 on: December 20, 2011, 12:33:34 pm »

Try loud dubstep. You should wake up faster once the drop hits.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41048 on: December 20, 2011, 12:42:37 pm »

I find human voices to be by far the most effective. Thus my alarm clock is a recording of myself going

"It's time to get up now. Come on, get up. I'm not going to shut up until you do. In fact, I'm going to get progressively louder. Now get up. Out of bed. Wakey wakey. Seriously now, I know this phone is in the other room and all around REALLY far away in the morning, but get your ass in here and turn this message off. Not kidding. Get the fuck up. GET THE FUCK UP. HEY YOU LAZY FUCK, I SAID GET THE FUCK OUT OF BAD.

SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE(continues loud high pitched skree for two minutes)"

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41049 on: December 20, 2011, 01:05:03 pm »

Meh, I still prefer my trusty old mechanic alarm with real bellstm.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41050 on: December 20, 2011, 01:06:36 pm »

No, True, that's the other bar association.

Unfortunately they are one and the same. They really do meet in a tavern.

Truean, what can a person do to get legal services if they can't /afford/ a lawyer, though?

Not to say that's usually the case, of course, many people are just skinflints, but its certainly not uncommon to be essentially bankrupted by elgal proceedings...

Comes down to one question, did you patent the product?

Actually, it's more complex than just patenting it, but meh.

My grief was more, "they didn't want to pay me jack...." Like literally zero, zip, zilch, nada. Also, Ohio has 88 counties and many of them do not even have a Public Defender's Office. Even then, you often "make too much," to qualify for the public defender or court appointed counsel where the state pays for it, yet you are broke. This means you're screwed/have to find one yourself.... Even then, the public appointment counsel gets like $225 for a misd. or $500 for a felony MAX before expenses. Good luck.

As for affordable legal services, I've started a few threads on them long ago. In simple sum, a few people/businesses pay a lawyer a relatively small flat retainer fee and magically they have representation and the lawyer has cases and doesn't starve for work. I'd work for a business on retainer for less than they pay a minimum wage employee actually.

For a business:
$7.85 x 2080 = $16,328 <--- what someone makes on minimum wage (roughly, without payroll tax etc)
I'd happily work retainer for a business charging them about $8,000/year to do any and all legal work they have and throw in some excellent record keeping and business counseling. It'd be like the business having its own general corporate counsel without having to pay six figures for it, cause the business is relatively small. I get a few accounts like that and suddenly I have a practice.
Given that $8,000/year is less than half what you pay a minimum wage employee, I find it hard to believe that a lawyer's guarantee to represent you come whatever may isn't worth that for a business.

For an individual, I'd do it for about $600/year, which is $50/month, less than the cable bill.... This also covers that kid of yours who according to ABC has a 1 in 3 chance of being arrested at least once before he's 18. The only problem here is if you get divorced from your wife, cause then I can't represent both of you or either really (conflict of interest).

Your point is well taken though, the current model of legal services is unsustainable. Given how much it costs to BECOME and BE a lawyer, it can't be free, but a minimum of $200/hour can't work forever.

Usually you can strike a deal with the prosecutor depending on the crime and leniency of your lifeworth. My buddy gotten away with alot more shit by just admitting hes guilty.

Eh, careful about this. The prosecutor works for the state and his job career is to convict you. I've seen a lot of people come by my office after they made a pro se plea deal like this begging me to void the damn thing when it was too late....
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:19:43 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41051 on: December 20, 2011, 01:18:04 pm »

Yeah, like I said, a bunch of them are probably skinflints. I didn't even know having a lawyer on "retainer" (I'm not really sure the full of extent of that, though) was a thing, or that it was so affordable (and it does seem quite affordable!)

Is this 50/month rate fairly standard? Does this mean they're agreeing to represent you in like any criminal or civil cases that come up or something? Would you recommend this as something someone should do if they can afford to, even if they currently don't have any legal issues?

I was under the impression something like that would be at least twice as much, more likely four times as much (which quickly becomes way out of my price range. That's as much as I pay for food each month, if not more, and that's one of my primary monthly expenses!)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:20:37 pm by GlyphGryph »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #41052 on: December 20, 2011, 01:22:42 pm »

It's a thing Truean would like to do, and is very reasonable, but no one has pulled their head from their arse and actually (paid for it to be) implemented, from what I understand. Got th'will, not the clients. At least insofar as I understand, yeah.

Lawyer insurance is like life insurance, I guess. No one wants to pay for it until it's too bloody late.

Definitely something I'd be interested in if I had any income, heh. Don't want or watch TV, so swapping a cable bill for a legal retainer sounds like a really good idea :P

Having a lawyer on retainer is definitely a thing, though. Like having a doctor on retainer. It's just a service that tends to be exclusive to the exceedingly well off, not that folks that actually need affordable legal representation.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41053 on: December 20, 2011, 01:28:21 pm »

I would love to be able to start paying for Law Insurance once I get out of school and start working on my own projects while working. Mostly because "my own projects" mean creative works, and those can have certain risks associated to them.

In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #41054 on: December 20, 2011, 01:30:28 pm »

Yeah, like I said, a bunch of them are probably skinflints. I didn't even know having a lawyer on "retainer" (I'm not really sure the full of extent of that, though) was a thing, or that it was so affordable (and it does seem quite affordable!)

Is this 50/month rate fairly standard? Does this mean they're agreeing to represent you in like any criminal or civil cases that come up or something? Would you recommend this as something someone should do if they can afford to, even if they currently don't have any legal issues?

Actually, it isn't standard practice nowadays. Lawyers don't do this because why should they when they know they can get their minimum $200/hour rate. (lack of question mark intentional) I've seen consumer law lawyers working for $425/hour out of Cleveland. Its called greed; lawyers do it well. If it takes one to know one.... :) There are retainers, but as Frumple says, it is usually hellishly expensive and for the wealthy. Either that or they charge you next to nothing and do next to nothing.

Point of definition:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Basically, these are the rates I may be charging if I open my own firm. They'd allow me to focus on practicing law instead of chasing cases and to provide low cost services. :) I'm happier with a guaranteed equivalent of a salary that people could afford, so I will never go hungry again (did as a kid). If I get a few businesses paying me that $8,000/year retainer, then I have a living and can afford to hire clerks and at some point other attorneys under me.

As for the personal one for individuals, yeah I'd pretty much represent them whatever comes their way. Again, some exceptions to avoid conflicts of interest, but yeah. This way I don't have to pay for advertising or chase cases. Also I can use that time to hermit up in the law library to be better prepared during downtime. :) You know, actually practice law instead of client chasing.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:41:54 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 2735 2736 [2737] 2738 2739 ... 8167