Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2731 2732 [2733] 2734 2735 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447187 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #40980 on: December 19, 2011, 12:50:32 am »

Hmm... Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality is good, and Shinji and Warhammer 40k also has a good reputation, if you haven't read either of those yet (and anything, seriously, anything by Guardian1 on ff.net).  I'm with you on totally nonsensical yaoi; hateships are fine for me, but I really don't get much out of poorly described sex without any plot attached.

I'm trying to think of other good fanfics that were really long.  I have a soft spot for a couple of DBZ total mindscrews I ran into when I was younger, but I'm not sure if they'd be to your taste.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #40981 on: December 19, 2011, 12:57:08 am »

Method's is pretty solid, and I've tried to read through Shinji more than once (Inevitably get distracted by something else part way through. It's good, but not something I can marathon read through.) Couple of th'author's other fics Points of Familiarity is just delightful, though, at least until the end. I've got a soft spot for familiar of zero crossovers, but I've already read pretty much all of them over 60k :P Several are simply excellent (by fanfiction standards).

I've read a couple (Well, one that I can remember, though I can't remember the name.) DBZ fics that were decent, but I've tended to avoid that particular fandom unless something's recommended or I'm really desperate. Mostly because the actual series was just arglefarglewargle, if that makes any sense.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40982 on: December 19, 2011, 01:01:44 am »

Nobody Dies is another NGE one. Pretty twisted and memetastic, written almost by committee. It has every fanfiction, anime and internet cliché in one place. A hard one to marathon through, especially as I tried to follow all the twists in the associated thread.

Harry Potter and the Wastelands of Time is one of the better Potter ones. Actually recommended by the author of MoR for obeying his First Law of Fanfiction;
The First Law of Fanfiction states that every change which strengthens the protagonists requires a corresponding worsening of their challenges. Or in plainer language: You can't make Frodo a Jedi without giving Sauron the Death Star.
The author has started updating the sequel again fairly recently, so I'm planning on a re-read.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40983 on: December 19, 2011, 01:02:32 am »

Bah, the problem is that the original comic was so attuned to its medium that the anime ended up just generally craptacular as a result.  The kind of constant, every-single-panel-has-a-purpose barrage of gags ends up stretching out time to a painful degree when every line has to be spoken, rather than read, and some little quirk takes up more than a second of your time to enjoy.

That said, other than Vejitasei Ascendant being unfinished, I have to say that it's mostly decent.  I have memories of Dominion Reprise being good, but it was so long ago that I don't remember very well.

If you ever see any good Death Note fanfic at all, point me to it.  I've been hoping for years, but it seemed to be a sort of fandom flash in the pan, and then just about everyone got bored of it.

(Harry Potter-wise: I forgot to add that Backwards with Purpose, and that trilogy in general, is also solid stuff.  Worth your time.)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #40984 on: December 19, 2011, 01:12:54 am »

Nobody Dies [...] Harry Potter and the Wastelands of Time
Read 'em both, both excellent, heh.

That said, other than Vejitasei Ascendant being unfinished, I have to say that it's mostly decent.  I have memories of Dominion Reprise being good, but it was so long ago that I don't remember very well.
Will check 'em out. Th'latter is pinging my memory for some reason, hrm. Stuff being unfinished isn't much a barrier to me (Outside of lingering desire).

If you ever see any good Death Note fanfic at all, point me to it.  I've been hoping for years, but it seemed to be a sort of fandom flash in the pan, and then just about everyone got bored of it.
I don't think I've even seen it crossed over with anything decently, but I haven't exactly looked. The stuff we got on cartoon network a few years back was pretty nice, but my fanfic-seeing eye screamed "nonsensical yaoi incoming" at me just looking at it.

If you liked death note itself, though, th'manga Akumetsu might ping your interests, if you haven't devoured it already. It was pretty nice.

(Harry Potter-wise: I forgot to add that Backwards with Purpose, and that trilogy in general, is also solid stuff.  Worth your time.)
It was :P I think it's been a while since I've read it, though, I think. Long enough I can't actually remember if I've read it or just something similarly named, heh. Maybe a re-read.

Almost tempting to start a fanfiction thread (or at least necro the one that's probably somewhere in the forum*). Only problem is then I'd feel compelled to make a comprehensive suggestion (cum this-is-what-I-managed-to-actually-finish-reading) list, which would probably take days and have a freakishly huge amount of titles in it.

*E: There's actually only two fanfiction threads, both specifically dedicated to ff.n, at least going by the thread title. Nothing on fanfiction in general. Hrm.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 01:22:38 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40985 on: December 19, 2011, 01:21:49 am »

Fandoms themselves, I regularly read... uh, a couple dozen? And happily branch in to stuff I don't actually know jack about. Good readin's good reading.
If you're open to other fanfiction suggestions...

I'm not into pony fanfiction but I hear a lot about it.

The two I've heard to be best would be Fallout Equestria (if you want a crossover) or Past Sins (for more vanilla, if dark, MLP).

Both those knock your 100k word minimum out of the park. Especially FE. And considering I still hear people gushing about both, despite both being finished like, months ago, I'm pretty sure they're at least decent. Also no shipping as far as I know.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #40986 on: December 19, 2011, 01:25:47 am »

MLP counter-suggestion: Friendship is Adventuring. Link is to mid-thread (but to an index), and I don't think I've seen a compiled, non-forum version around. Still, both excellent and long. Snapping up those two, though, definitely.
Ask not!
Ask!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40987 on: December 19, 2011, 02:45:42 am »

Returning to the Realm of Sadness...

Goddamn this terrible, hacking, consuming cough of mine. My room is just so dirty, and you wouldn't know that just from looking at it, but being in here, from day 1, has instigated a terrible, hoarse coughing that is currently keeping me up at night, and I need to be up early to take my sister to school.

Worse, I have a stuffy nose at the moment, and my idiot Mom scrounged through my room to take the toilet paper that I purposefully bought and set aside just to blow my nose with. She took every single little bit of it, fucking goddamn her.

EDIT: Like, seriously, now this coughing is just fucking with me. I haven't coughed once when I abandoned hope of getting to bed soon and went online for a bit, but the moment I lie down it's all like HACKHACKCOUGHCOUGH.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 04:05:35 am by JoshuaFH »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40988 on: December 19, 2011, 04:46:54 pm »

My realm of sadness is that my mother is only now realizing that I will never have "pretty hair" in our culture, because "growing it just a bit longer" is only going to make the ensuing cone that much wider; I inherited curly/wavy/wiry hair from both sides of my family.  For me, shoulder-length also means shoulder-width.  Now she's backed off from "when it grows a little bit longer... !" and moved on to "okay, cut it all off again, seriously."

I also find it awkward that I apparently look very Jewish, which leads to that awkward position where Jewish guys are interested until they find out that you're not Jewish, and then non-Jewish guys stay away because they think you're going to reject them for not being Jewish.

(My mom's told me to expect Squidhead to either drop me or order me to convert in the next bit; I've just discovered that he apparently goes to synagogue every weekend, and has been asking me about my religious affiliations.  This is largely due to my father's experience with Jewish women, as he looks very Jewish but there seemed to be a lot of speed-dropping)

*shrug*

Oh, well.  Some day, there will be somebody.

In unrelated complaints, I have a back ache from my shoulderblades to just above my hips.  Hurray for too much heavy lifting.

And I'm also apparently expected to spend my winter break (or, at least, most of the time I set aside for myself to rest during winter break, rather than the time set aside to study) making life easier for my father, which is precisely what I need after a semester of painful burnout.

EDIT: Oh, and now my mom had something heavy fall on top of her head in the garage.  Because she chose to ignore my attempts to take care of the situation and paid attention to my father instead, she now gets unilateral shouting rights in my direction and to say whatever she wants about me.  I'm not supposed to argue back, because she ignored me, and I didn't knock over my father to get to her and help her, and she didn't address me, and that means I did nothing at all.

Of course, my father also came by when I was continuing to put together the bed in my room, and let me know that it I was continuing to put together furniture with my back hurt to the point of shaking while trying to hold myself upright and having trouble standing (and own head wound, from something (lighter, and from a shorter distance) falling on me) for my own benefit, and that it didn't matter if I was doing it because I'd been ordered to to help my father, and it didn't matter what I said because I wasn't hurt.

An absence of complaining, an absence of crying, a spate of crying hidden and pain only related through the simple words of "I'm very tired, and my back hurts" doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  It means the emotions were hidden for the benefit of others, because everyone else is at the breaking point and I've been ordered that I'm the one who is going to break--because I am young, and because I am more expendable, and because less is at stake when it comes to my sanity.

And people wonder why I never seem to manage to be unilaterally happy.  I'm so easy to force into a position of powerless invisibility and ignore, because no matter what I do, I can be pushed a little bit more.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 05:21:27 pm by Vector »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40989 on: December 19, 2011, 05:54:36 pm »

My realm of sadness is that my mother is only now realizing that I will never have "pretty hair" in our culture, because "growing it just a bit longer" is only going to make the ensuing cone that much wider; I inherited curly/wavy/wiry hair from both sides of my family.  For me, shoulder-length also means shoulder-width.  Now she's backed off from "when it grows a little bit longer... !" and moved on to "okay, cut it all off again, seriously."
At least you don't have my thick wavy double down hair. And you can always straighten it. Of course I personally find that too much effort, and just let it grow into an Albert Einstein haircut until I'm forced at gunpoint to go to the hairdressers, because meh, fuck hair.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40990 on: December 19, 2011, 05:57:51 pm »

In about 3 seconds of combing my hair with my fingers, I can make my hair look like Alan Moore's hairstyle here.

It's long and sort of wavy. I look like a hippie, minus the clothing.

Hair sucks.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #40991 on: December 19, 2011, 05:59:18 pm »

EDIT: Oh, and now my mom had something heavy fall on top of her head in the garage.  Because she chose to ignore my attempts to take care of the situation and paid attention to my father instead, she now gets unilateral shouting rights in my direction and to say whatever she wants about me.  I'm not supposed to argue back, because she ignored me, and I didn't knock over my father to get to her and help her, and she didn't address me, and that means I did nothing at all.

Of course, my father also came by when I was continuing to put together the bed in my room, and let me know that it I was continuing to put together furniture with my back hurt to the point of shaking while trying to hold myself upright and having trouble standing (and own head wound, from something (lighter, and from a shorter distance) falling on me) for my own benefit, and that it didn't matter if I was doing it because I'd been ordered to to help my father, and it didn't matter what I said because I wasn't hurt.

An absence of complaining, an absence of crying, a spate of crying hidden and pain only related through the simple words of "I'm very tired, and my back hurts" doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  It means the emotions were hidden for the benefit of others, because everyone else is at the breaking point and I've been ordered that I'm the one who is going to break--because I am young, and because I am more expendable, and because less is at stake when it comes to my sanity.

And people wonder why I never seem to manage to be unilaterally happy.  I'm so easy to force into a position of powerless invisibility and ignore, because no matter what I do, I can be pushed a little bit more.

You need to get the heck out of there, sounds like an un-winnable situation at the moment. Can you leave, go to the library or something? I hate that whole, "you're not complaining loud enough, so it must not be serious" mentality. Tell them it's one of those smart things you learned at college; to not injure yourself further.

Hang in there.  :-\
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #40992 on: December 19, 2011, 06:00:16 pm »

In about 3 seconds of combing my hair with my fingers, I can make my hair look like Alan Moore's hairstyle here.

It's long and sort of wavy. I look like a hippie, minus the clothing.

Hair sucks.

You want to know what made me sad? You just made me picture Alan Moore minus clothing.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40993 on: December 19, 2011, 06:26:09 pm »

You need to get the heck out of there, sounds like an un-winnable situation at the moment. Can you leave, go to the library or something? I hate that whole, "you're not complaining loud enough, so it must not be serious" mentality. Tell them it's one of those smart things you learned at college; to not injure yourself further.

Hang in there.  :-\

Can't, because I have to do this heavy lifting to put my room together for my father's health NOW.  Injuring myself is just what's up on my plate.

Thanks, though.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40994 on: December 19, 2011, 06:34:15 pm »

Huh, normal day eh?

It stings a little worse when your siblings get away with a ton of stuff whose responsibility somehow falls upon you. Sister sleeps? Well she needs the rest, best not disturb her. I sleep after studying for finals all day? Nope you gotta help me completely replace the pump system because my dad is getting extremely frantic that a light drizzle is going to take out the power and flood the whole basement. Some where doesn't get done after establishing that it's all our responsibilities? Run downstairs and yell at me for it.

At least when we get put in a position of power we'll try to remember these experiences and keep in mind the other parties involved.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 2731 2732 [2733] 2734 2735 ... 8167