Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2727 2728 [2729] 2730 2731 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9444093 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #40920 on: December 16, 2011, 07:28:24 pm »

I miss Cheddarius.

Please come back.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:32:09 pm by Criptfeind »

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40921 on: December 16, 2011, 07:32:16 pm »

EDIT: Moving to progressive rage thread.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 07:56:46 pm by kaijyuu »
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40922 on: December 16, 2011, 08:41:48 pm »

@Solifuge: You're probably right.

(Sorry, that is the best anyone is going to get out of me right now.  I'll probably say something more tomorrow, but right now I just... don't... have... the... energy...)

But having bad body language skills isn't a huge deal, and it can be easily be compensated for.

Not for me.  This is why I'm so good at picking apart rhetoric--I honest-to-goodness can't read tone or figure out how people feel most of the time, so I've gotten very, very good at looking at particular words and sentence structures so that I'll know how to respond (basically appease, smite, or ignore).  I am... very... bad with facial expressions and emotions/motivations in general; most of my understanding of body language is very binary good/bad or attached to situational information, not emotional/internal information.  It's even worse because most of the time, I forget to even pay attention--I'll go "Oh, yay, I'm talking to someone!  And they're talking back!  This is good!" and then later I'll think "I have no idea how the other person felt or thought about that at all, because I was so busy trying to keep saying things at roughly the right time."

Books were also a big thing, when I saw lines like "she gave a wry smile", it helped me a lot in connecting the dots between expressions and intentions.

Yeah, I've done that, too, but "expressions and intentions" wasn't what I was working on, it was "expressions are attached to emotions at all."  My entire time in elementary school I'd complain about feeling sick and having a stomachache, and I only later realized that it was because I was socially stressed (it'd come up without fail if I spent more than an hour or two at someone else's house, because I just couldn't stand being around people that long).  Or I'd be at someone's house and I'd just wander off outside because I couldn't take it anymore.  Didn't understand the feeling or the trigger... just something that said "time to be outside and touch rough things now" and a rubbery feeling of being unable to move my face.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40923 on: December 16, 2011, 09:14:45 pm »

Apparently, my resume should be no less than 10 pages....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40924 on: December 16, 2011, 09:15:52 pm »

Can that even be called a résumé? Last time I checked, those were meant to be, well, brief.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40925 on: December 16, 2011, 09:26:51 pm »

Can that even be called a résumé? Last time I checked, those were meant to be, well, brief.

Brief? :P I wish.

Apparently it should list all the things I've done over the years to showcase my various legal skills, types of motions and papers filed, familiarity with the filing of paperwork, case types litigated, etc etc etc. Sounds more like  freaking CV to me. I'm gonna have to go back years and years to figure all this stuff out.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #40926 on: December 16, 2011, 09:28:16 pm »

So I just got home from shopping after work, and took my shoe off to discover a few inches of my sock drenched in blood. Taking that off I found a fairly large deep hole in the top of my foot. I don't know how or when it got there because it hasn't been hurt or even bumped. What the hell?
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40927 on: December 16, 2011, 09:49:33 pm »

Not for me.  This is why I'm so good at picking apart rhetoric--I honest-to-goodness can't read tone or figure out how people feel most of the time, so I've gotten very, very good at looking at particular words and sentence structures so that I'll know how to respond (basically appease, smite, or ignore).  I am... very... bad with facial expressions and emotions/motivations in general; most of my understanding of body language is very binary good/bad or attached to situational information, not emotional/internal information.  It's even worse because most of the time, I forget to even pay attention--I'll go "Oh, yay, I'm talking to someone!  And they're talking back!  This is good!" and then later I'll think "I have no idea how the other person felt or thought about that at all, because I was so busy trying to keep saying things at roughly the right time."
If you're anything like me then what they were thinking was probably something along the lines of "that's interesting", or "I never knew that".
I think you might feel you're expected to have a super-human ability to read emotions. Most ordinary people aren't actually that good at reading emotions, and if you're having trouble reading someone's facial expression, it may just be because they're stone-faced.

A good bit of advice about body language is that it's a lot like other languages, it's best learnt through use. If you focus on learning "how do I do X" rather than "what is X?". You'll generally learn faster.

Yeah, I've done that, too, but "expressions and intentions" wasn't what I was working on, it was "expressions are attached to emotions at all."  My entire time in elementary school I'd complain about feeling sick and having a stomachache, and I only later realized that it was because I was socially stressed (it'd come up without fail if I spent more than an hour or two at someone else's house, because I just couldn't stand being around people that long).  Or I'd be at someone's house and I'd just wander off outside because I couldn't take it anymore.  Didn't understand the feeling or the trigger... just something that said "time to be outside and touch rough things now" and a rubbery feeling of being unable to move my face.
Hah, you know you're talking to the borderline agoraphobe right? I'd say in my case it was partly being unable to read things, but also from the general information overload. Although to be honest, I think it was mainly just the complete lack of control. I'm pretty bad around strangers, but I'm good with people I know, because I know what to expect from them. I can walk a thousand miles if I've got a good friend by my side.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40928 on: December 16, 2011, 10:26:35 pm »

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40929 on: December 17, 2011, 01:18:52 am »

So I'm feeling depressed, I find myself reflecting that because I paint on so much of my expressions and emotions I feel incredibly artificial as a person. I often times find it hard to feel human. Sometimes I feel like a robot pretending to be a Model 1 Human.

So to take my mind off of things I decided to play an indie game that I've heard is deeply and emotionally moving. It's called "To the Moon"...

Out of all the games in all the world, why did I have to pick that one? I mean honestly, what are the odds?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40930 on: December 17, 2011, 02:18:06 am »

My dog is restless and can not sleep. And though a process I am merciful enough to not tell you guys I am now restless and can not sleep.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #40931 on: December 17, 2011, 02:38:51 am »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40932 on: December 17, 2011, 09:37:06 am »

Apparently they don't make lenses that would fix my eyesight completely, or even close to.

Welp :V

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40933 on: December 17, 2011, 11:56:06 am »

Vision is returning, but I still only have one usable eye for any length of time. (Had a rather large scratch on my right cornea.)
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40934 on: December 17, 2011, 12:00:27 pm »

Fucking right corneas, how do they work.

(Not properly, that's how.)
Pages: 1 ... 2727 2728 [2729] 2730 2731 ... 8167