Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2725 2726 [2727] 2728 2729 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9442988 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #40890 on: December 16, 2011, 08:53:04 am »

I understand what it's supposed to say. But it's confusing it's message. If the message was "you probably aren't depressed" it should just be "don't self diagnose". If it wants to say arseholes are bad for your mental health it should be what I said before.
Love, scriver~

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #40891 on: December 16, 2011, 12:11:10 pm »

I'm not feeling as bad as I did yesterday but sleep was fitful with fever induced delirium again. Toady I ache, have a mild fever, and have a nasty taste in my mouth. Keeping a distance from other people because I figure whatever is wrong with me is pretty contagious right now.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40892 on: December 16, 2011, 12:43:39 pm »

Talking to my Father sucks.  I want to stay home this weekend because there's a lot of cool stuff happening but I haven't gone to my Dad's in like a month so it feels shitty.  I told him Monday and he accepts that but it's still pretty crappy to hear the disappointment in his voice.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40893 on: December 16, 2011, 12:46:19 pm »

R.I.P. Christopher Hitchens. Only three horsemen left now.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40894 on: December 16, 2011, 12:52:21 pm »

I see a psychiatrist once every month for med management, and I'm supposed to see a therapist every week, but there's been difficulties with her. I managed to miss my appointment three times in a row, and the last time I never actually scheduled a new one. It's been what... 8 weeks since I last saw her?

A few days ago I did worked up the nerve to try scheduling a new one, I get the feeling I'm supposed to call the front office, but every time I do they're always busy, so I just call her phone and ask her to call me back and schedule.

That was a few days ago, she hasn't gotten back yet, so I think she must be on break. *shrug*

I would be more motivated to get this scheduled, but it feels so much like I'm a lost cause anyway that I find it hard to do anything about it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #40895 on: December 16, 2011, 01:20:01 pm »

While we're sharing therapy stuff: I see a psychiatrist once every 1,5 months or so, and a... "contact person" (her professional title is a nurse of some kind) about once a week, and am currently between psychologists. Oh, and an endocrinologist (spellchecker says that's what I mean anyway) once every so often, but we mostly communicate through mail. Been through a lot of examinations to find out what's wrong with me too, but so far we've only found out what the matter isn't.
Love, scriver~

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40896 on: December 16, 2011, 01:53:09 pm »

What about My Little Pony inspires a huge number of people to write, read, and discuss cartoon pony rape fanfiction? I understand Rule 34, and the fun of subverting existing works... but how do you get from subversion funtime to extensive discussion and creation of volumes of rape fanfiction built around a children's show? Am I the only one who sees the boundary being crossed there, into Not Okay territory? On a related note, I've some exposure to the furry fandom as well, having helped a friend manage a sales booth at conventions. I know firsthand that the better part of it isn't built around sex and sexually deviant artwork, but anyone who says it didn't find a solid representation there would be lying. A cursory Google image search, with safesearch turned off, will indicate that as well.

Tolerance is important, especially tolerance of things that falls outside our comfort zones; it's important to recognize things that make other people happy, even if you find them offensive, and let them be. Still... when it comes to stuff that clearly crosses lines for you, isn't it unfair to be expected to turn a blind eye to it, and not express that? With regards to the internet, I have to imagine that the prevalence of stuff that goes beyond the Inappropriate But Fun zone, and enters the Socially Maladjusted/Deviant zone, comes from an unwritten code that says we should just accept/ignore anything we find too weird or creepy, since nothing forces us to expose ourselves to it if we don't like it. Where do we draw the line, though? When does it become enough of an issue that we have to pause and say, "Actually, that thing you said or did there seems pretty messed up to me. Why did you do that? Can we both figure out what things are wrong here, so we can avoid them?"

I guess the heart of the matter is this: Does our social contract allow one person to tell someone else that they shouldn't do something, if they find it offensive or distressing? Where do we draw that distinction?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40897 on: December 16, 2011, 02:10:22 pm »

How many people in this thread have gone to see a psychiatrist?

I can't get the psychological treatment I need with my insurance because I was diagnosed with Asperger's late (19) and when I say "I need help learning how to read body language and tone," they basically said "fuck you, you're not cute anymore."

Anything else I want to talk about ends up revolving around "it's autistic, I can't deal with it, it talks funny, it moves funny, it's smart and I don't understand how it thinks, what an interesting piece of fruit."

Not all of us have neurotypes that let us get counseling easily.

Sobbing to yourself is not a sign of healthy mental status. Neither is self-loathing or the feeling that no-one wants to speak with you. To me, these sound like symptoms of depression, and may require medication and/or counseling to manage. I'm talking REAL medication, not drinking yourself into a stupor or getting high on various hallucinogens (not accusing anyone here of either of those things).

You wanna tell me what a healthy mental status for me looks like, wise guy?  I think no one wants to speak with me because I know people don't want to speak with me, because I can barely hold a conversation when I'm really, really trying.

Oh, and here's why I'm not on medication: one mouthful of coffee makes me high as a kite.  Have they specifically checked for interactions of medication with people whose brains work differently?  No, they have not.  Am I going to risk it if I have such a severe reaction to coffee?  No, I am not.

I was mostly referring to the person who, I quote, has "been having a random crying spell pretty much every night this week". I'm not assuming that this thread is full of potential suicides, but that much crying could indicate deeper problems. I just hate seeing other people go through that stuff.

1. I'm a girl, so I wasn't socialized not to cry when I feel stressed.  When I'm about to fail two finals for my major and don't have much of a life outside of school, I feel stressed.  There is nothing wrong with a little water coming out of the eyes.  It's a lot better than some other reactions I can think of.
2. It's finals week and I took too many classes.  What else am I going to do.

Anyway, one final failed, one to go.  At least it'll be over soon.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40898 on: December 16, 2011, 02:16:15 pm »

[hugs]

I would like to imagine a world where Vector does not need to cry as a normal one. It would be a good one in any case.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40899 on: December 16, 2011, 02:22:08 pm »

I guess the heart of the matter is this: Does our social contract allow one person to tell someone else that they shouldn't do something, if they find it offensive or distressing? Where do we draw that distinction?

Eh, its not like its hurting anyone.  I don't understand it either, but there are a lot worse that a person could be doing than getting off on nasty stories/art.  Heck, maybe it even provides release so that they don't actually do anything more terrible in real life.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40900 on: December 16, 2011, 02:25:27 pm »

-snip-

Vector, you know that not everyone knows the specifics of your individual case, so you shouldn't lash out at them. They're just one person, and not all the other people who have ever made assumptions about you in the past. Sirus meant well with those comments, and was trying to provide helpful advice, not berate you for your situation or conditions. You did let him know what's up, which is good, and I understand you needed to vent a bit about other stuff, but I'd suggest you try not to take people's words so negatively in the future.

Anyway, sorry about the stressors you're dealing with, and here's hoping the next final goes better.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40901 on: December 16, 2011, 02:32:26 pm »

I would like to imagine a world where Vector does not need to cry as a normal one. It would be a good one in any case.
I'm not a mind reader, but I can easily imagine a world where if it didn't at least occasionally bring her to the brink of tears she's end up convinced it meant she wasn't trying hard enough. :/

Seriously though, Vector. Good luck. You're gonna make it through, and sooner or later you're going to show everyone what for. You've certainly got a better mind than me, and I think it's pretty obvious you'll never be content letting it go to waste. And... well, I suppose that probably isn't any sort of real support since the stressors are still there, but I felt like I should say something. Take it or leave it. :/

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40902 on: December 16, 2011, 02:37:37 pm »

I've been having a random crying spell pretty much every night this week and wondering if I'm about to catch the flu when I realize that I'm going into this Friday's finals unprepared. 

This reminds me of me about 2-3 weeks ago. I had a major project due that involved a presentation which I was freaking the hell out about (I also have an Asperger's diagnosis). I got stressed out to the point where I couldn't get anything done and spent the night before weeping on and off all evening. Immediately following that I spent a whole weekend plus all-nighter on the report that went with it and then launched into a ridiculous take-home exam without any downtime. As comeuppance for all that I then abruptly got slammed by a cold that left me useless and miserable in the only time I had set aside to relax before exams.

But I'm happy today, because my last exam was yesterday and I finally shook my cold in the past day or so, and in a few hours I can go home for Christmas and finally finally play Skyrim. And I just looked outside and it's snowing. Yeah!!

So I guess I'm in the wrong thread now.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40903 on: December 16, 2011, 03:04:55 pm »

Eh, its not like its hurting anyone.  I don't understand it either, but there are a lot worse that a person could be doing than getting off on nasty stories/art.  Heck, maybe it even provides release so that they don't actually do anything more terrible in real life.
It's true it doesn't hurt anyone, but it doesn't mean they have a right to do it where you can see.

On the Vector subject. I had a lot of help learning about body language growing up. Not being able to pick up on it as fluidly and easily as other people just meant I had to dedicate more thought to it than most.
Something I've noticed is that there are a lot of neurotypical people who are bad at picking up on people's body language... or perhaps they simply don't care/know what to do about the signals. I'm not really sure. But having bad body language skills isn't a huge deal, and it can be easily be compensated for.

I could probably write a short essay on the subject myself. I picked up a lot from my parents straight up telling me about body signals, as well as from seeing people do it wrong at the special needs school. I saw a lot of kids doing things that other normal people didn't do, and learnt not to do them.
Books were also a big thing, when I saw lines like "she gave a wry smile", it helped me a lot in connecting the dots between expressions and intentions.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #40904 on: December 16, 2011, 03:21:39 pm »

I am G.A.L. for a child who has been abused in especially heinous ways. Said child hates me for "taking [them] away from their family." There are other things they hate me for. but o well really. It doesn't make dealing with ungrateful clients any easier.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 03:23:17 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 2725 2726 [2727] 2728 2729 ... 8167