Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9472456 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #4080 on: April 07, 2010, 03:06:59 pm »

This may be the best decision I've ever made, but it's still tearing me up internally.  You see, on the "staying" side is "Mathematics, comrades from school (no close friends, but at least I have comrades), don't have to live with parents, cost to parents."  It's mostly the mathematics and the cost to my parents; I feel really, really bad for them.

On the "going" side is "be less crazy, get time to read books, learn how to cook reasonable food before I have to live by myself, time to become more mathematically mature so that school makes me less crazy, learn how to handle stress, talk to psychologist about being less anxious all the time, figure out moodswings.  Furthermore, restart semester next year in courses I'm interested in, rather than two applied-side math courses that were hiding in purity, a horrible course in linguistics, and Professor Poland's class (which is, of course, wonderful)."

A thought: Why not hang out on campus and read, meet with classmates, etc.? Though you may not be in class, nothing is keeping you from visiting friends and such, is it? Maybe once things settle a bit, catch a movie night on campus, or go to a club, or somesuch. Additionally, maybe you'd like to audit the rest of your semester with the professors you like?

It is almost as if the human mind is capable of taking a problem, coming up with a solution, and then test that solution to see if it makes sense.

Nonsense. The human brain is ill-adapted for thinking, and was probably originally designed for cooling the blood

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4081 on: April 07, 2010, 03:38:05 pm »

A thought: Why not hang out on campus and read, meet with classmates, etc.? Though you may not be in class, nothing is keeping you from visiting friends and such, is it? Maybe once things settle a bit, catch a movie night on campus, or go to a club, or somesuch. Additionally, maybe you'd like to audit the rest of your semester with the professors you like?

I need to live at home so I can take care of the necessary things with Kaiser (university seems to think that 5 counseling sessions a year should be enough for anybody.  Good job, dudes).  Additional: there's no way my parents are going to pay for my rent if I'm not in school, and I don't have any friends I hang out with.  I just have classmates, at this point.  I'll miss them, but seriously... big freaking deal.

Further additional: my current living condition is in a little squashed-up room smaller than 80 sq. feet with a roommate who snores, sings while I'm studying, uses me as a dumpster for her romantic troubles, and leaves the overhead light on when I'm trying to sleep because she doesn't like her study lamp.  She also requested an English- and French-speaking roommate so that 1. said person could edit all her papers and 2. said person could teach her French (this is what she told me the first day that we moved in together).  Oh, and she takes up the entire top of our dresser with her cosmetics, leaving about 9 square inches for my glasses case and the photo of my grandfather... which she decided to cover with a painting while I was gone over spring break.  This is on top of her playing Christian hymns loudly without ever asking if it's all right (even if I'm listening to something quietly, myself).  She also wakes me up the night before midterms to fix her internet connection (while refusing to let me go back to sleep) and, even when I tell her I have no time and I will not edit any more of her horrible papers, she wheedles at me until I cave.

Oh, and when she made a video she was proud of, she tried multiple times to convince me to show it to Rosewood and my parents (what the hell...) and seems to think that "right after your roommate breaks up" is a great time to say "Oh hey there's this guy down the hall and we're just right for each other and I'm going to go to Switzerland for grad school so I can be with him."  This is after she'd complained about my saying something along the lines of "I miss Rosewood" a month after her sleazy boyfriend and dumped her.

Sorry, needed to get that off my chest.  She's a pill, and I will be OVERJOYED to never have to see her again.  I can't believe she's 23.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4082 on: April 07, 2010, 03:43:23 pm »

Did you try talking to your RA?  They can only do so much, but helping you deal with annoying roommates is pretty much their job.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4083 on: April 07, 2010, 03:46:03 pm »

Sounds bad, I wouldn't want to live in a room with that person.

When I go to college it's pretty standard to have a room mate so let's see what happens.

Although it sickens me that certain people go to college when THEY/RELATIVE PAYS FOR IT.

That's like buying a burger before throwing it into the trash, wasted.  In all certainty though, their parents are paying for it, watch as they drop out and waste all the money and their parents still put up with the slackers in their home.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4084 on: April 07, 2010, 06:22:10 pm »

I haven't been able to play DnD for a few weeks. My friend up in Washington got his cell phone taken away for bad grades(which he told us he'll do his best. D: ). It really sucks since we've been doing a really interesting campaign. The only upside is that it gives me and my other friend time to try out Eclipse Phase.
EDIT: Also, my mom wants me to do a book report on 2 books I got from school. Even though they were only somewhat referenced in a couple of lessons. >:(
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 06:47:38 pm by Jack_Bread »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4085 on: April 07, 2010, 06:25:22 pm »

I had a roommate who was just a jerk.  He was really mature for a 13 year old, but he just had no idea of how to cope.  (I was just too awesome. You should have seen it. Glorious)  Now I'll admit I didn't do the best job either, and I could have prevented the problem, but he just couldn't deal.  No tolerance at all.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

cganya

• Bay Watcher
  • Commander Anya Snow
    • View Profile
« Reply #4086 on: April 07, 2010, 08:20:41 pm »

i have a couple roommates who drive me and my wife nuts. they move our things around in the kitchen, ALL THE TIME. they never clean, they set off the fire alarm every time they cook. all they ever cook is all day recipes that stink up the whole kitchen, all day. have i mentioned they don't clean anything?! we have a toaster oven that has been under siege by their dirty dishes since they moved in. they rearrange our stuff in the bathroom and have marked the cabinet with pen where the "halfway" point is. for awhile they kept turning off our air-conditioning (we have the hottest room in the building by far, attic room on the east side with 3 walls of windows and crappy insulation).

spoiler-ed for sexual gross-ness
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

so glad they are moving out on the first.
My current project: Playing through might and magic 6 and posting the videos on youtube.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136329.msg5003966#msg5003966

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4087 on: April 07, 2010, 08:30:30 pm »

Aww man, my roommate at a full length summer camp was awful.  10 weeks, only home on weekends, with this runty kid. He was the stereotypical nerd kid, but he insisted that he was an awesome soccer player. He was like, 4 feet tall and maybe 80 pounds. He talked so much shit when, most of the time, the ball would send him flying if he got hit by it.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4088 on: April 07, 2010, 08:35:51 pm »

There was a kid at one of the summer camps that i went to who kept telling people that he:
Knew hypnosis.
Lost all sense of taste due to his mothers horrible cooking(?!?!)
Got 1000$ from a russian man on a dare to eat shit out of a toilet(?!?!?!?!?!)

He had problems.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4089 on: April 07, 2010, 08:37:50 pm »

There's a sophomore on the other side of shop who believes Nazis are the best thing ever.

I hate him.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4090 on: April 07, 2010, 08:39:16 pm »

I know people like him. He probably thinks Nazis are a kind of emo band.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4091 on: April 07, 2010, 08:39:41 pm »

Dah, communism is where it's at.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4092 on: April 07, 2010, 08:40:32 pm »

I've been unconsciously categorizing people based on what section of 4chan they'd likely go to.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4093 on: April 07, 2010, 08:47:43 pm »

I've been unconsciously categorizing people based on what section of 4chan they'd likely go to.

/b12/

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 [273] 274 275 ... 8167