Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2639 2640 [2641] 2642 2643 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9439861 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #39600 on: November 09, 2011, 11:00:06 am »

Or if you have any cellphone made in the last ten years, those usually have a built-in alarm clock function.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39601 on: November 09, 2011, 11:02:43 am »

Yeah, maybe.  I'm not sure if the volume will be good enough... in any case, it's an issue to be worked out this weekend, but I'll try the cellphone for tomorrow morning.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39602 on: November 09, 2011, 11:07:29 am »

yeah, I've found that cellphones are pretty good at that.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39603 on: November 09, 2011, 11:11:18 am »

I'd like to continue this discussion, but something vastly more pressing has come up.  Yes, more appropriate than school stress.

So apparently my alarm clock is completely broken.  Not any of the relevant parts, like the clock.  No.  Just the fucking dinger.  I thought I'd been sleeping through it.

The only thing that's been getting me to school on time for the past two weeks is fear of being late and a developing inability to sleep well.  Frankly, that is a little bit scary.
Clocks breaking has been becoming a problem to me quite often recently. There's a couple of tricks that can help with that:
1:try to sleep with your dorm window totally open so that in the morning the sunlight shines on you and the outside gets generally noisier and wakes you up easier.

2:Go to sleep early so you get up early too, you can never be too early for class in the morning.

3: If your roomate ever needs to get up before you do, ask her to wake you when she gets up in the morning if she can.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39604 on: November 09, 2011, 11:15:14 am »

Another person dropped out of our class, it sucks because aside from Yumi and Kiki, my classmates are the only people I'm vaguely comfortable interacting with on a daily basis.
*Hugs*

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39605 on: November 09, 2011, 11:16:43 am »

Clocks breaking has been becoming a problem to me quite often recently. There's a couple of tricks that can help with that:

1:try to sleep with your dorm window totally open so that in the morning the sunlight shines on you and the outside gets generally noisier and wakes you up easier.

Unfortunately not an option here during school/uni months: < 0C at 3 o clock in the morning is too fresh air already.  :P And sunrise is at 0806...  ;)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39606 on: November 09, 2011, 11:23:44 am »

I'm in a room by myself an hour away from campus, haha.  The time when I need to get up is ideally "an hour or two before dawn."

The 5-class issue guarantees that I can't go to bed early, either.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39607 on: November 09, 2011, 11:27:49 am »

Don't you get home at 1am though?  That's like 3 hours of sleep a day maybe.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39608 on: November 09, 2011, 11:28:15 am »

I had one, but the ticking drove me crazy, so then I got a digital alarm clock, but the glaring red light of those numbers drove me crazy.
Now I have a snazzy alarm clock that synchronizes with satellites and doesn't glow in the dark (unless you hit the top to turn the backlighting on), which looks a lot like this one.
I can't actually find the original model, but I don't think they make it anymore considering the manufacturing date says it was made in early 2007 (and I can only remember ever changing the batteries once, which is pretty impressive).

Anyway, mine I got for something like 50$, but you can get something similar for around 20$ to 30$. Or possibly cheaper.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39609 on: November 09, 2011, 11:42:58 am »

3-4 hours of sleep is about what I average.  :-\

I go to bed sometime between 1am and 2am, and my alarm clock goes off at 4:45 most mornings.

Doesn't faze me a bit. Nope, not one littgnabrglzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #39610 on: November 09, 2011, 12:00:02 pm »

I NEED a bare minimum of 8 hours, preferably close to 10. Typically up at 6 am, 2 hrs of "daddy duty" until getting to work at 8, work solid until 430 ish, home by 530, domestic life and some work-at-home-fun until 9 ish, then bed. What joy.

I hardly operate without my solid 8 hours. I get 8 hours hardly ever though. Ugh.
This is a blank sig.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #39611 on: November 09, 2011, 12:14:35 pm »

3-4 hours of sleep is about what I average.  :-\

I go to bed sometime between 1am and 2am, and my alarm clock goes off at 4:45 most mornings.

Doesn't faze me a bit. Nope, not one littgnabrglzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
wow

That cant be good
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39612 on: November 09, 2011, 01:15:15 pm »

No, I usually get home at 7- or 8-ish and go to bed between midnight and 2, then wake up at 7 sharp because my mind won't let me sleep anymore.

It is horrible, and that is why I will be working hard to make next semester easier on myself, at least in terms of school-obligatory work.  I'm blisteringly behind, or so I feel.

Benevolence

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #39613 on: November 09, 2011, 01:27:08 pm »

If your alarm clock isn't working and you're concerned about the cellphone's volume, you could just wear something with pockets as you sleep and keep the cellphone in those, on vibrate. It's what I did when I managed to leave my alarm clock at home after fall break.

On the other hand, if your normal sleepwear doesn't have pockets, that could lead to shenanigans.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39614 on: November 09, 2011, 02:19:47 pm »

I'm not sure if that would wake me up, but I'm going to try something like that tomorrow.  Luckily, I basically don't have to be up until 9 AM tomorrow morning (I have another 10-minute exam at 9:50) and then I'll be able to go home and acquire another alarm clock, so even if I'm not up by 7 things should be okay.

Bleh, I'm really tired.  I wanna curl up and go to sleep, and then do nothing but read comics for the next year.

Actually, that's another thing that kind of annoys me, so I'm going to complain about it.  I can't find any serious comic fans here!  The anime club hasn't had new posts in their forums for more than 6 months!  And more than that, everyone seems to be into moeblob shows, which I could enjoy, but what I really want is a club like the one I ran in high school.  There were hard-core fans from nearly every group.

Pages: 1 ... 2639 2640 [2641] 2642 2643 ... 8167