Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2635 2636 [2637] 2638 2639 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9442961 times)

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #39540 on: November 07, 2011, 07:58:05 pm »

I have 7 novel ideas in my head with detailed (if incomplete) narratives and plot details laid out. I want to be a writer at some point... if I ever get off my arse and do some actual writing.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39541 on: November 07, 2011, 08:00:30 pm »

Please write an island survival story that's actually good.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39542 on: November 07, 2011, 09:05:55 pm »

I liked Robinson Crusoe, The Swiss Family Robinson, and some parts of The Life of Pi. If you are going to do what ToonyMan says there are some inspirations.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39543 on: November 07, 2011, 09:14:21 pm »

Please write an island survival story that's actually good.

*ahem*

He methodically cleaned his gun. Taking it apart, cleaning all the pieces, then reassembling it, and then taking it apart again.
He needed to clear his head. The supplies in the escape pod would only last a couple of days, and the Martian zombies would be there before then. Even now they would be crawling their way across the sea floor under intense pressures and conditions only a Martian zombie could survive. Doubtless they were making a feast of all the sea life they encountered along the way.
He shook his sadly for all the Mer-people who would die today. He could only hope that most of them would swim to higher waters in time.

Suddenly there was a voice that made him jump and flip his gun from "stun ray" to "death ray"...

"Ca- ... -er- ... -ou- ... -m-"

He realized it was his Sub-Etha radio. He quickly fumbled for the earpiece, it was one of those new candlestick radios, with the microphone on the main body and an earpiece on a lead. He personally preferred the old fashioned wireless hands free head seats, but clunky was in these days, and sleek and shiny was out.

"Captain, are you there, can you hear me?"
He breathed a sigh of relief, he knew that voice.
"I'm here Mister President." he said.
"Thank goodness Captain, I thought we'd lost you for sure that time."
"No sir, my legendary good luck still seems to be paying off, I hit a small island instead of drowning a horrible death."
"We're zeroing in on your position now, but it's going to be a couple of days before we can get to you. Do you have anywhere to barricade yourself into."
"There is a inexplicable mansion sitting on the island sir, but I'm worried that it's haunted."
"Well try roping in some ghosts to help you defend it."
"Ghosts can't defeat zombies, sir, it's a rock, paper, scissors thing."
"Well they can damn well try."
There was a sigh from the other end of the radio.
"I'm going to have to leave you now Captain, I've just been told that rescue will arrive at dawn. I wish you luck captain, you're the last hope humanity has."
"Don't worry sir," tears were forming in his eyes, "We'll defeat the evil emperor of Mars somehow."
"I hope you're right Captain, I hope you're right."

He glanced around. He could take the supplies from the escape pod and hole up in the undoubtedly haunted mansion, and perhaps he could fashion some barricades from the abundant supply of bamboo and coconuts, but even so it was going to be a tough job surviving the night.

How's that for a start?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39544 on: November 07, 2011, 09:17:21 pm »

Surprisingly good.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39545 on: November 07, 2011, 09:31:23 pm »

Ah.  I was thinking less fantasy and more human interactions and social stuff.  As of yet I can't find any I really like.  Also you'd probably want to slow down the pace more and maybe actually introduce our hero at some point.

Keeping the perspective third-person is a good idea as well.  Never focus on one person too much.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39546 on: November 07, 2011, 09:47:33 pm »

Ah.  I was thinking less fantasy and more human interactions and social stuff.  As of yet I can't find any I really like.  Also you'd probably want to slow down the pace more and maybe actually introduce our hero at some point.

Keeping the perspective third-person is a good idea as well.  Never focus on one person too much.
I did introduce him though, his name is Captain. His rank is special lieutenant.
Next up I'd introduce his sidekicks, "Someday" the robot, and the blonde haired romantic interest, "Hardy"... Who is also a lesbian quantum physicist, but Captain has never been one to let the fact that a woman is completely uninterested in him and far more intelligent than him get in the way of her being a romantic interest.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39547 on: November 07, 2011, 09:54:07 pm »

Thursday the robot clearly.

BEEP BEEP BOOP BEEP

Man you just listed a bunch of Disgaea characters...

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39548 on: November 07, 2011, 09:55:19 pm »

No it's "Someday", as in, "Someday I'm going to come up with a decent name for you."

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #39549 on: November 07, 2011, 09:56:15 pm »

Captain Gordon, Thursday the Robot, Jennifer the blonde smart lady...yeah I'm not seeing it.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39550 on: November 07, 2011, 10:04:29 pm »

I should probably mention Hardy practices a new age martial art which is a mix of Muay Thai, Taekwondo, Aikido, and Tai Chi, called "Maekow Chi".

But yeah, I think that's enough of that for one night, I'm off to bed.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39551 on: November 07, 2011, 10:18:31 pm »

I found out the lady who wrote Howl's Moving Castle passed away earlier this year. :(

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #39552 on: November 07, 2011, 10:27:41 pm »

I found out the lady who wrote Howl's Moving Castle passed away earlier this year. :(
That movie confused the fuck out of me when I was younger.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39553 on: November 07, 2011, 10:28:40 pm »

Aww man, i loved that movie.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39554 on: November 07, 2011, 11:04:40 pm »

I cannot have a single thing be definite one way or the other, can I?

Scoliosis: Come back in 6 months so we can get more X-rays. Right now your on the 'borderline' for getting a sucky back brace that you will wear forever.

Weirdly aligned jaw: Been trying to get it fixed via braces for ...a very long time now. Verdict today: It's right on the 'borderline' for being surgery. More x-rays.

And my grades. Honor roll depends on the last few grades that are entered before the end of the marking period, as I have a couple grades right on the border. Also, my school does stupid grades where an A is actually a 92% instead of 90%. Something about making people try to be better by setting the bar higher, or something.

Oh yeah, and my mom is having heart issues, apparently. She's going to have to get a ton of blood tests done and wear a heart monitor for 24 hours. Not sure how that'll go, either.

And now I'm worrying about everything, because although it could all turn out fine, it's likely at least one of those 3-4 things will turn out bad. Hate not knowing everything.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 2635 2636 [2637] 2638 2639 ... 8167