Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9476148 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #3825 on: March 29, 2010, 09:23:42 pm »

THOSE HOLES IN MY PAPER ARE FROM RAW MANLINESS

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: March 30, 2010, 12:49:48 am »

Oh, you asked for it.  You want interesting and time-stealing?  Look no farther than...
<MATH MATH MATH>

If you finish with those two, there's also
<MATH MATH MATH: THE SEQUEL>

You know how dogs tilt their head to the side, almost like they're trying to understand what people are saying around them, even though they have no hope or capability of doing so? I just reflexively did that, reading through Notes on Partially Ordered Sets. I couldn't parse what was being said in the slightest, and those little comparative symbols were all Greek to me. Can I get a rimshot? Anyone?

In brief, my head asplode. I haven't had a background enough in mathematics to transition from the comfortable, sensible processing of "X+Y=Z" into the (no doubt magnificently elegant and universally significant) fundamentals of math... it's like walking up to someone who's just learning how Water and Ice are the same thing, and trying to explain what a quark is. For starters, what the heck do they mean by a "set", and why all the nested definitions? It's like the subset concept applies not only to the math being depicted, but also to the descriptions themselves! Aaauauuuuugh! *brain melts and begins to drip out of one ear*

I get the feeling that learning more of the rules behind mathematics would be interesting and revelatory, but I have huge hangups about math, due to certain... dark events in my educational history. Mathemelodrama aside, I'm still interested enough to poke my head in briefly, if I can summon the gumption. I may take another shot at the algebra text first, if simply because the name anchors it in the world I know and comprehend. If something sticks, maybe I'll delve a bit more... but it seems like this is looking at math in a theoretical light, while I don't have the vocabulary to process what's being said.

If you're just looking for novels, however, I'd need some idea as to what you have and haven't read, and if you're willing to read things with sad endings.  My recommendation list is largely French novels which should be easily available in translation, but the French don't exactly know how to do sci-fi or fantasy very well... and there's a certain amount of "life is terrible" that ends up pervading everything they write.

As for short stories, reading Candide has destroyed any semblance of ability to take sad stories seriously... no matter how grim, dark, or angsty it gets, I can just see Pangloss skipping around with his rotted-off nose singing "all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds!" I've got enough anthologies of Sci-Fi, History, and Fiction to keep me entertained, I think, but I'd want to find something different... something light but poignant, in the lieu of Pratchett. Perhaps I'll pick up Going Postal in the meantime.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:05:00 am by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: March 30, 2010, 01:22:35 am »

You know how dogs tilt their head to the side, almost like they're trying to understand what people are saying around them, even though they have no hope or capability of doing so? I just reflexively did that, reading through REDACTED. I couldn't parse what was being said in the slightest, and those little comparative symbols were all Greek to me.

Hahaha >_>  So, first of all, there's something you may not understand about mathematical texts and why they take 50 hours.  The reason why is that it's generally expected that you'll spend an hour or more on each page.  You don't understand it, and that's fine.  Typically, you want to sit down with a pencil and paper and draw pictures, think about definitions, think about examples.  You get a little notebook and write down definitions, then little bullet points underneath about things you get from that definition.  Things you're curious about, and so on.

For example, let's say I'm thinking about the definition of a partial ordering (the first one).  Well, first off, what in the hell is a binary relation?  I'd better go look that up on Wikipedia or Mathworld.  Okay, then what's a relation?  What are some examples of a relation?  Can I think of some things that aren't relations?  What about ternary and unary relations?  Can I think up examples of a partially ordered set?  And so on, and so forth.  It takes a long time, but it's something you should do for relaxation, rather than to stress out.  Explore a concept and then move on, but don't move on until you understand what you were supposed to know before.

Second of all, EVERYONE has that experience the first time they have a run-in with pure mathematics.  I can't tell you how many times I've ragequit, spent 8 hours dicking around with the same problem to no avail, or got caught up on something completely trivial.  The main thing separating people who understand mathematics from people who don't seems to be patience (often a side effect of obsession, but whatever).  If you don't get it, then walk away for a little while, do other stuff, and clear your mind.  When you're ready, come back.

The other thing you may not know is that when they say something is "obvious," that means you're supposed to put aside the text and prove the statement yourself.  It's not really obvious unless you've gotten extremely accustomed to one-trick proofs and observations, which tends to take a damned long time.  So, if you can't see something, don't feel bad.  Just think about it for a while.

In brief, my head asplode. I haven't had a background enough in mathematics to transition from the comfortable, sensible processing of "X+Y=Z" into the (no doubt magnificently elegant and universally significant) fundamentals of math... it's like walking up to someone who's just learning how Water and Ice are the same thing, and trying to explain what a quark is. For starters, what the heck do they mean by a "set", and why all the nested definitions? It's like the subset concept applies not only to the math being depicted, but also to the descriptions themselves! Aaauauuuuugh! *brain melts and begins to drip out of one ear*

A set is a collection of mathematical objects.  For a better definition and more information, see the Wikipedia page.  The reason why we use nested definitions is because otherwise, we'd end up with proofs that were so long no one could ever read them...

Yeah, it's brain-melting ;_;  But ultimately, it's extremely rewarding once you've gotten your foothold.

I get the feeling that learning more of the rules behind mathematics would be interesting and revelatory, but I have huge hangups about math, due to certain... dark events in my educational history. Mathemelodrama aside, I'm still interested enough to poke my head in briefly, if I can summon the gumption. I may take another shot at the algebra text first, if simply because the name anchors it in the world I know and comprehend. If something sticks, maybe I'll delve a bit more... but it seems like this is looking at math in a theoretical light, while I don't have the vocabulary to process what's being said.

Nah, I completely understand.  It's a difficult subject, and it's always been pretty hard for me (well, until a couple of months ago >_>).  If you're interested and need some help with some definitions or anything, though, just let me know--it really is tough, and the only way to get the vocabulary is to spend a little while swimming around without a flotation device until things become clear and natural (which is around when you start building a ship of the line with laser cannon).  I love the subject and am always happy to introduce someone else to it :3

As far as books, I'll give it a think.  Something will probably come to me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:53:54 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: March 30, 2010, 01:38:40 am »

Alright. Time for me to pull some sad, soul-baring shit.
Which means it'll probably get removed in half an hour. But, that's how I live, it seems.

Yeah. Whaddya know.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 01:40:47 am by Tack »
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: March 30, 2010, 01:42:12 am »

You know, the whole "getting it off my chest" thing doesn't work if you let it all out, and then take it all back in again.  ;)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3830 on: March 30, 2010, 01:44:17 am »

Less than a minute before the edit. New record Tack.

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: March 30, 2010, 01:45:33 am »

General depression/dysthymia... meh
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: March 30, 2010, 04:24:09 am »

Less than a minute before the edit. New record Tack.

Yeah, I try. Getting pretty good at it, too. Now for the ten-second record.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: March 30, 2010, 05:48:01 am »

My PC will not run Just Cause 2.
I want to slingshot from a helicopter onto a mountain. ON FIRE.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: March 30, 2010, 07:08:52 am »

I love attaching people to gas tanks and making them fly away.

As for what's making me sad, I just replayed Bioshock, for nostalgia, and I feel so sad... I'd hate to be Jack.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: March 30, 2010, 01:05:53 pm »

I get the feeling that learning more of the rules behind mathematics would be interesting and revelatory, but I have huge hangups about math, due to certain... dark events in my educational history.

A loved one was murdered by a trinomial equation, as you stood by helplessly unable to solve it?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: March 30, 2010, 01:14:06 pm »

I get the feeling that learning more of the rules behind mathematics would be interesting and revelatory, but I have huge hangups about math, due to certain... dark events in my educational history.

A loved one was murdered by a trinomial equation, as you stood by helplessly unable to solve it?

Five words: Polly Nomial and Curly Pi.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Naresomez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: March 30, 2010, 01:20:35 pm »

Heh, on my second round of mathh 11, A very possible third round in my future... :|
Recaptcha Pictionary!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51755.0

"And on the 5th frame, He bowleth a strike, and there was much rejoicing to be had."

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: March 30, 2010, 03:50:49 pm »

My old hacky sack finally ripped open after a few years.
Damn, at least I have others.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: March 30, 2010, 03:53:18 pm »

Much like Bruce Wayne, the event shadowed me for the rest of my young life, and forced me to take up the mantle of vigilantiism... but instead of fighting crime, I battle logic, and wrongful use of equations...

...like this.

Wow... high-fives are in order for that. Not even math is safe from Rule 34.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 8167