Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2539 2540 [2541] 2542 2543 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9430011 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #38100 on: October 08, 2011, 06:48:13 pm »

I am a self-admitted cereal killer. If only because, most of the time, it's way too much work to actually make something.

Katusan made you more than a serial killer :D
Who?

The artifact pick your dwarf in Baldedgilds had.  I can't believe it's been so long already.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38101 on: October 08, 2011, 06:53:25 pm »

Oh, man! That pick was awesome... Baldedgilds was a great story.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38102 on: October 08, 2011, 06:55:30 pm »

The online gaming community, and the internet in general, was much more mature back in 96-98.  Battle.net and Counter-Strike were the first cliques to draw lots of troll types, and it kind of spread from there... at least that's what I saw.
I'm thinking matchmaking is what caused this general perception to take place. Before things were a homogenous swill of good and bad with some amount of effort needed to stumble into a game with other players. Trolls had a difficult time because the max number of people they could affect was 16-32. It was not a terribly delicious target and everything was specific enough that people could be banned and never be a problem for that server again.

Now most multiplayer games have public servers that don't get much moderation because these things are absolutely full all the time. This also draws in the trolls, who have a much greater audience to work with. They are easy to enter for new players that don't know any better and the more private communities have developed their skill over the years to be inhospitable to new players.

I retain that online communities always consisted majorly junk, but the good and the bad were fairly homogenous. Now it's divided, with each side growing more and more saturated. The bad parts grow louder and more bold, the good parts grow more skilled and more impossible to deal with.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38103 on: October 08, 2011, 07:01:16 pm »

I'll be doing another community fort after the next release.  Can't wait.  Hope to make it a little more coherent this time.  Last time I got distracted for too long and then Legends of Forlorn Realms came along, and I didn't want to play Genesis anymore, so I decided to let it die.

Also, anytime I try to describe the awesomeness of Dwarf Fortress as a story generator to someone, I tell them the story of Killer Pete :D
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:13:46 pm by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38104 on: October 08, 2011, 07:13:32 pm »

I'll be doing another community fort after the next release.  Can't wait.  Hope to make it a little more coherent this time.  Last time I got distracted for too long and then Legends of Forlorn Realms came along, and I didn't want to play Genesis anymore, so I decided to let it die.
Looking forward to it!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38105 on: October 08, 2011, 07:41:09 pm »

Man, I really wish I could pick up some of you so we could go drink tea in the stars together one winter evening.

I don't know what I'm going to do with the rest of my life.  At all.

Or even next month, next day, next year.  All I know is that I can't live this way anymore.  I don't know what will change and what will remain the same, but everything must be reconsidered.

What makes me sad about this is that I will be so tired, and ... you know, just uncertainty in general.  That's exhausting.

Also, I've only studied German for 4 or 5 months, but it already seems that Heidegger is easier to understand in his original language =/  That makes me a bit sad.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38106 on: October 08, 2011, 07:46:51 pm »

Vector, you ever find yourself in Iowa for whatever reason, I'll be happy to drink tea with you. I don't even like tea that much.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38107 on: October 08, 2011, 07:55:52 pm »

Man, I really wish I could pick up some of you so we could go drink tea in the stars together one winter evening.
I probably would not be able to keep up with deep philosophical stuff and make a fool of myself with a lack of study, but I'll be there to harp on about optimism and the good of humankind and how things will work out don't worry, we got this.

I may or may not quote whatever humanist things The Doctor may have said during his various series.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38108 on: October 08, 2011, 07:59:15 pm »

I have nothing comforting to say about uncertainty, so I'll just change my sig.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #38109 on: October 08, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »

Vector, you ever find yourself in Iowa for whatever reason, I'll be happy to drink tea with you. I don't even like tea that much.
Where in Iowa. If you're in Iowa City, I demand we hang out at some point.

Also, I echo the offer. I also add the possibility of brownies, or ice cream (or brownies and ice cream).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38110 on: October 08, 2011, 08:04:26 pm »

Where in Iowa. If you're in Iowa City, I demand we hang out at some point.

Also, I echo the offer. I also add the possibility of brownies, or ice cream (or brownies and ice cream).
Waterloo area

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38111 on: October 08, 2011, 08:05:54 pm »

I probably would not be able to keep up with deep philosophical stuff and make a fool of myself with a lack of study, but I'll be there to harp on about optimism and the good of humankind and how things will work out don't worry, we got this.

Hey man, I'd be in the same position.  I might sound great here, when I have access to Google and Wikipedia and all the time in the world to compose a response to a topic, but I'm useless in person.  At least there'd be tea.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #38112 on: October 08, 2011, 08:07:28 pm »

Hey man, I'd be in the same position.  I might sound great here, when I have access to Google and Wikipedia and all the time in the world to compose a response to a topic, but I'm useless in person.  At least there'd be tea.

It's a rare person for whom this isn't true.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #38113 on: October 08, 2011, 08:08:13 pm »

I'm not sure how but I came to a realization.

I've sometimes, though not on here made a big deal about how hard I've had it in the past. How I wasn't given a chance, how I was pushed through so much piles of shit and how I just ended up terrible. That because I had a hellish time I was a horrible person, and that everything I had or felt I should have was a lie, I didn't deserve it, or I couldn't have or get it.

I've been realizing slowly, over time that I have had chances, I didn't take them all. I took some, I tried some. In the end I came out on top like I already knew. But I guess it's just the realization that so, so many things could of gone worse. When I look back I can see where it could of gone worse. I can see all the bullets I dodged just barely that even allowed me to come out in what shape I'm in even now. But I realize looking at this that this is the best I could of hoped to turn out.

It doesn't really make me happy looking at this. Not only did I waste so much time just bothered about it, or how I was or how my situation was going. There really wasn't anything I could do. I tried my best and this is the result. Even then I'm sure what I tried wasn't what I should of tried, but even then I couldn't make another choice. At all. I was stuck in this course since I started my teen years, despite having absolutely no control over it, like it or not.

So not only did I waste a lot of my life and time, I wasted effort. Is it worth being in this situation? I honestly think for all I've said, yes. I'd rather have this than any of the alternatives with how I was turning out. But do I want it to be better?

Yeah. I do. And that's what makes me weak. I'm just going to have to accept this all one day, no matter how much I tell myself I did I never have.

But I guess that's life and well... Hey. It could be worse. I saw the alternatives all the time, right in front of my face. So at least there's that.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38114 on: October 08, 2011, 08:12:17 pm »

It's a rare person for whom this isn't true.
I'm even more of a sarcastic ass in person.
Janet: coming from someone who doesn't know you very well, you seem like a really cool person. We all make mistakes.
EDIT: Looking at it. These seem bad together, but I swear it wasn't intentional.
Pages: 1 ... 2539 2540 [2541] 2542 2543 ... 8167