Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2471 2472 [2473] 2474 2475 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9425271 times)

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #37080 on: September 17, 2011, 07:59:46 pm »

If you had a first date and he stood you up for the second he could just be totally ignoring you out of shame for forgetting. There's that I guess.

EDIT:
It's Foucault, which means it's more rhetoric/semiotics-side than philosophy/religion side.  It's about the development of the modern prison through the enlightenment period, after the "sovereign's right"-style public executions and tortures before the 1750s (when penal codes were changed in pretty much all western European countries).

It's fascinating, but also quite horrifying.

Current moment of sad: I never feel like I'm learning anything.  My brain somehow manages to know loads of shit (When and where was St. Augustine born?  354 AD, Hippo, North Africa.  Thank you, brain!  I last saw that information two or three months ago!), but I never feel like I do.  Sort of like I'm detached from my memory or something like that.
Months ago? Vector I would kill for a memory like yours.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:03:08 pm by Heliman »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37081 on: September 17, 2011, 08:06:41 pm »

I never remember important stuff like that.  All I can remember is dumb stuff like the exact words and inflection someone used when they said something ten years ago.  That's not cool.  All it does is make me mad when someone quotes a show and says the lines wrong.
Shoes...

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37082 on: September 17, 2011, 08:07:08 pm »

Reading Cider House Rules by John Irving. The damn cat is laying just out of reach and heating range, pur usual. :P

If you had a first date and he stood you up for the second he could just be totally ignoring you out of shame for forgetting. There's that I guess.

Funny you should mention that. I jokingly worked something like, "It's ok if you forgot," into the message I sent him. At least I was going for joking to sort of play it off and smooth it over. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:15:51 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37083 on: September 17, 2011, 08:11:02 pm »

*Hug*
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37084 on: September 17, 2011, 08:13:43 pm »

Oh!  Truean!  That is a good book and I hope it makes you very happy indeed.

As far as my memory goes... yeah, it's kind of pointlessly sharp for some details.  I could remember all the hotel room numbers we used in Russia for a few months after the trip, too.  Still got some of them.

I occasionally feel like I'm cheating, heh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37085 on: September 17, 2011, 10:23:58 pm »

I remember the lyrics to every song on my ipod, 904, and quite a few others that play on my favorite radio stations. Useful information like when my assignments are due? Drains out like water through a sieve.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #37086 on: September 17, 2011, 11:57:33 pm »

I keep all of my mathematical knowledge in fractals that I draw in my head using algorithms and imaginary pens.

Other stuff I just remember and sort like a filing cabinet, only sometimes the patterns get really convoluted.

"Francium? Yeah, that blew up a bathtub in that one video. It's the most explosive alkaline metal. Gilgamesh? Epic. Who was the Queen of the Amazons? Well, the amazon river is a river, and rivers are inhabited by Hippopotami, and thus Hippolyta."

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37087 on: September 18, 2011, 12:32:54 am »

Working on an obsidian fortress in Minecraft... it's making my eyes hurt a bit :/  Also annoyed at how inflexible portals are.  They only appear in the usual 2x3 sections, so my giant glowing purple walls will have some obsidian interruptions.  Trying to learn how to use redstone is a big problematic too, the wiki looks informative but confusing on this subject.  Some of us just don't think like electricians, ok?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #37088 on: September 18, 2011, 12:43:20 am »

Are you an a multiplayer server? I can help you with redstone.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37089 on: September 18, 2011, 03:37:55 am »

Sadly no, this one is solo.  I do have one redstone project in mind though.  I need a pressure plate that will somehow activate a device that will push lava close to some wood, setting the wood on fire.  Can pistons do that?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #37090 on: September 18, 2011, 03:39:08 am »

I remember lots of stuff too. Usually trivia. Never can remember how I learned it. Sometimes it annoys me with tiny details and I feel compelled to find out the rest.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37091 on: September 18, 2011, 03:52:37 am »

Sadly no, this one is solo.  I do have one redstone project in mind though.  I need a pressure plate that will somehow activate a device that will push lava close to some wood, setting the wood on fire.  Can pistons do that?

You can't push source blocks, but you could start with a piston extended, and have it retract to release the flow, like a floodgate~

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37092 on: September 18, 2011, 05:28:10 am »

Fuck you, Reddit, I needed sleep tonight.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37093 on: September 18, 2011, 05:30:29 am »

That wasn't because of my post in the happy thread was it?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #37094 on: September 18, 2011, 04:53:04 pm »

Oh!  Truean!  That is a good book and I hope it makes you very happy indeed.

Awww thank you, I appreciate that. It was a little sad at times, but always a good book. :)

Heard through grapevine that guy went drinking instead of on our second date... [sigh]. Its from a source I really trust too, o rare thing. Cell phone camera photo, complete with timestamp....:( I think I just lost out to booze. Should I be flattered or insulted [awkward attempt at laughing]? Meh. I'm gonna tell myself I looked fabulous while it was being done. (Don't anyone correct me...:( ).
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:57:24 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 ... 2471 2472 [2473] 2474 2475 ... 8167