Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2459 2460 [2461] 2462 2463 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9437150 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #36900 on: September 14, 2011, 01:47:14 pm »

I am 99% certain Mind knows that and just mistyped. ;)
Love, scriver~

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36901 on: September 14, 2011, 01:47:37 pm »

Bah silly typo. Thanks.
That comes from having disjointed reading and speaking...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36902 on: September 14, 2011, 01:54:37 pm »

Just got sassed by a girl for asking about her "ask me about Autism Speaks" button in a rhetoric course.

Fuck my life.

I... buh... wuh?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36903 on: September 14, 2011, 01:55:25 pm »

Hey, you're meant to ask about Autism Speaks, not the badge.

That was the problem, right?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36904 on: September 14, 2011, 03:45:06 pm »

Short version:
Client demands I defraud the court with false delays/documents. Naturally, I refuse. Client offers to bribe me, pay me more for "compensate me" for doing this. Client then threatens to go to my boss. I explain what an "ethics board" and "disbarment" are.... Client leaves, I get a same day email from client saying "[opposing counsel] said it was fine and don't hold out on me again." ???

a.) Instant response from opposing counsel... (yeah right) + b.) unethical for other lawyer to talk to represented party directly + c.) I know opposing counsel = Stupid lie I can't believe client thought I'd fall for....

Bank Account does not equal IQ or ethics....
Moreover, if you'd like to hire a less ethical firm, we'll miss the money, but.... [head.... desk]
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:46:51 pm by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36905 on: September 14, 2011, 04:12:32 pm »

Short version:
Client demands I defraud the court with false delays/documents. Naturally, I refuse. Client offers to bribe me, pay me more for "compensate me" for doing this. Client then threatens to go to my boss. I explain what an "ethics board" and "disbarment" are.... Client leaves, I get a same day email from client saying "[opposing counsel] said it was fine and don't hold out on me again." ???

a.) Instant response from opposing counsel... (yeah right) + b.) unethical for other lawyer to talk to represented party directly + c.) I know opposing counsel = Stupid lie I can't believe client thought I'd fall for....

Bank Account does not equal IQ or ethics....
Moreover, if you'd like to hire a less ethical firm, we'll miss the money, but.... [head.... desk]

Response: "Really? I talked to opposing counsel, and he said you're full of shit. And now the fact that you've lied to both of us is admissible evidence that you're a liar." (it's not, but hey...if he's going to play fast and loose with the legal system...)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36906 on: September 14, 2011, 04:34:00 pm »

Apparently I made a friend uncomfortable and shared too much :/  I'm used to sharing everything, I'm utterly weirded out and devastated that some friends do not want to hear about certain subjects from other friends.  Or, I'm subconsciously aware of that fact but not consciously so.  I feel really, really stupid now.
Oooo, I've had that one happen before. Was it about the gay thing, the religious conservative thing or are my guesses offensive and why would I think that?
-snip-
This is bizarre.  I reread that email and thought about it all day today, and it's like a light turned on in my head and I finally realized I must have been INSANE to write what I did.  No wonder my friend was incredibly offended and freaked out, it was a freaky and offensive email! D:  It's like my common sense jumped out my ear halfway through and didn't come back until less than an hour ago.  What the heck O_O

... I may need to see a professional :/  Preferably one that aims more to "evaluate" and less "medicate."

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #36907 on: September 14, 2011, 04:45:57 pm »

I spilled water all over the back of my old-ish monitor, and some got inside for sure. Shit.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36908 on: September 14, 2011, 04:51:43 pm »

Blaaaargh pressure starts kicking in.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36909 on: September 14, 2011, 07:58:04 pm »

My spacebar is now malfunctioning, and it doesn't register unless I hit/bash/firmly push it. Popping it out reveals some sort of plastic circle misaligned with some sort of slightly larger and much flatter plastic circle. The left of the flat circle is around the small one towards the bottom, while the right is on top of it. It cannot fix itself, and I cannot fix it without disassembling the keyboard. I am loathe to do so, as it's a cheap thing I can't Google due to low information to find out if it's easy to reassemble and I don't have any working backups on hand.

tl;dr: I'm mildly inconvenienced until I stop being "thrifty" and buy a replacement for my technically working cheap keyboard.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36910 on: September 14, 2011, 08:49:19 pm »

Just got sassed by a girl for asking about her "ask me about Autism Speaks" button in a rhetoric course.

Fuck my life.

I... buh... wuh?

Apparently you're not supposed to say "So, why do you choose to represent that particular organization?"  You're supposed to say "How can we save those defenseless autists and make better choices for them?"

She may not know this, but Autism Speaks is a kind of shitty group in general.  If she's joined them for legitimately good reasons, rather than actually believing in most of what they have to say, then I really shouldn't make this sort of assumption; but still, it's a little bit scary to see their signs all over the bus stops (every 110 minutes a child is diagnosed with autism), the trendy books, and now the big, fist-sized pins on the bags.

I can see that I have a meeting to crash, in order to find just who is involved with this and why.

Oh, and here's the leaders of the club, and what they have to say about themselves:

One, two, three.

So riddle me this:

Is autism speaking?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36911 on: September 14, 2011, 09:03:22 pm »

Took a pretty solid blow to the head at work today, as about 20+ lbs. of unseen freight fell 10 feet down onto the back of my head. I blacked out for half a second, and felt disoriented for a short while thereafter, but it cleared up and I was able to get back to work almost immediately.

Now that I'm home, I'm starting to get a nasty headache on the front of my head, same side. Does anyone here have experience with concussions? I don't want any drain bamage... my drain is too valuable to me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36912 on: September 14, 2011, 09:08:35 pm »

Those... those pages could have been about anybody who wanted a superficially good-looking resume, if you just replace the word "autism" with literally any other popular cause. And possibly I'm being a bit negative here, but I get a strong vibe of it being more "We're trying to help those poor people", if you see what I mean. Kind of an attempt at kindness to make oneself feel better, without actually paying any attention one way or the other to the people you're trying to help or acknowledging that they have any valuable input (kind of treating them like an object you can throw some activity labeled compassion at in order to get good karma), and not actually trying to identify with them in any way. I'm basing that on self-descriptors like "charismatic" and incredibly generic and vague "goals" when discussing the organization, there.

I suppose that's kind of your point, isn't it?

Solifuge:
You might want to get it checked out, especially if there's tenderness there or you start to feel disoriented again. I once fell directly on my head on a concrete surface and was fine (man, that was an... interesting prom, and just to make it even more enigmatic there was no alcohol involved, just stupidity), so there's definitely precedent for doing okay after a head injury, but it's far better to be safe than sorry if you can spare the time and/or cash for an ER visit or whatever you think is appropriate. Couldn't hurt to give a First Nurse line in your area a call, if there is one.

Also, he probably got promoted from a job he was actually decent at into one he's not even slightly competent at.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #36913 on: September 14, 2011, 09:09:22 pm »

Now that I'm home, I'm starting to get a nasty headache on the front of my head, same side. Does anyone here have experience with concussions? I don't want any drain bamage... my drain is too valuable to me.

I've had so many concussions that I think I can plainly tell you, head injury that's not just a bump on the head = GET IT LOOKED AT IMMEDIATELY.

I didn't for one thing, I lost an eye over it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36914 on: September 14, 2011, 09:14:52 pm »

Those... those pages could have been about anybody who wanted a superficially good-looking resume, if you just replace the word "autism" with literally any other popular cause. And possibly I'm being a bit negative here, but I get a strong vibe of it being more "We're trying to help those poor people", if you see what I mean. Kind of an attempt at kindness to make oneself feel better, without actually paying any attention one way or the other to the people you're trying to help or acknowledging that they have any valuable input (kind of treating them like an object you can throw some activity labeled compassion at in order to get good karma), and not actually trying to identify with them in any way. I'm basing that on self-descriptors like "charismatic" and incredibly generic and vague "goals" when discussing the organization, there.

I suppose that's kind of your point, isn't it?

Yup.  We're the one's that treat other people like objects?  That's precisely why I feel morally bound to go talk to them.

*sigh*

I don't want to, but I'm going to because I should--and this isn't right.  I don't know what my diagnosis would be now.  Since I'm coming off a 16-hour workday, probably still autistic-side.  Either way, I know better than this.

I'm scared.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 2459 2460 [2461] 2462 2463 ... 8167