Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2432 2433 [2434] 2435 2436 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9459172 times)

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #36495 on: September 06, 2011, 09:42:50 pm »

Since my mom thinks I'll be fine overnight, I'm kind of stuck here.

Turns out those eardrops are antibiotics, I've taken those.

My mom rang up Megan who worked as a doctor's assistant, her kids have had ear infections so many times and have had it one time so bad they had tubes put in their ears to suck fluids out. She is sure I won't go deaf or get killed by it, and I should stop believing everything I've read on the internet.

Jacob, are you diabetic?
I don't think so. Probably not, last time I had bloodwork (about a month ago) my sodium was slightly too high and my phosphorous (enlighten me on what that is...) is slightly too low.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36496 on: September 06, 2011, 09:44:54 pm »

I remember when I thought only the sciences and engineering were good choices, and everyone else was lazy. Then, an art class and holy shit guys, you have to do a lot of work for those. And you can't even bullshit it at the last minute like you can with (certain categories of) science (edit: I say as a scientist, and not to disparage the disciplines so much as my own procrastination)! Math classes I've always respected, though. It confuses me that the basis of all modern science and engineering is looked down upon as cruft in the educational system. Even if you don't find it interesting, guys, it's important and no less worthy of study than electrical engineering (which most people also don't find interesting).

Also, yes, Jacob/Lee, ER. Now. Like get in the car and go, go, or call an ambulance if you can't.

EDIT: Ninja. Well, get going in the morning or else as soon as practical.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 09:46:44 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36497 on: September 06, 2011, 09:48:09 pm »

Well, I'll try to get my mom to take me to the ER ASAP.

Thanks, guys, I'm terrified now. :(

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36498 on: September 06, 2011, 09:49:12 pm »

You'll probably be fine. This reaction is purely a result of the magnitude of the potential consequences, not how likely they are.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36499 on: September 06, 2011, 09:54:52 pm »

You'll probably be fine. This reaction is purely a result of the magnitude of the potential consequences, not how likely they are.
You're all telling me to get to the ER right now. You make that sound like it's very likely.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36500 on: September 06, 2011, 10:03:04 pm »

Managed to kick the edge of the sink top and tore open my pinky toe. I have had axe wounds that bled less than my stupid toe.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #36501 on: September 06, 2011, 10:05:51 pm »

Because your disease has taken a turn for the worse, regardless of the underlying cause. I find it mystifying that you refuse to go to the ER while running a high fever. It *could* be something serious, or it could be something that if left to it's own devices could evolve into something serious. Either way you can't just ignore it.

BTW: What antibiotic are you taking?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36502 on: September 06, 2011, 10:07:08 pm »

You're all telling me to get to the ER right now. You make that sound like it's very likely.
For me, it's because if you don't go you will probably be fine, but could have serious problems if you're very unlucky. If you go, you are all but certain to be fine, whether it's something you needed to go in for or not. The worst case here is bad enough for me to recommend avoiding it at any cost, even though if it's not likely to happen.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36503 on: September 06, 2011, 10:07:17 pm »

The fever went down, and amoxicillin.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36504 on: September 06, 2011, 10:07:36 pm »

Managed to kick the edge of the sink top and tore open my pinky toe. I have had axe wounds that bled less than my stupid toe.

I know those kitchen sinks. Vicious predators they be. You may have put'er down fer now, but trust you me, she'll be back sonny. She'll be back.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36505 on: September 06, 2011, 10:09:08 pm »

I know those kitchen sinks. Vicious predators they be. You may have put'er down fer now, but trust you me, she'll be back sonny. She'll be back.

Yar, I learned that on me Pappy's artificial knee. He lost the real one te' the vicious ministrations of the refrigerator. The kitchen be right fatal.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36506 on: September 06, 2011, 10:13:24 pm »

Apparently by showing I was truly terrified I coaxed my mom into calling the exchange from Children's. They're going to call us back soon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36507 on: September 06, 2011, 10:20:16 pm »

Hum. Shit.

I did the demo for SPAZ and it said I could keep my save files if I got the game, and then I got it and my saves are gone.

Shit. Two hours wasted, and I don't really want to do all the starting stuff again.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36508 on: September 06, 2011, 10:21:47 pm »

Hurmph.  It's 8:20 PM and I'm actually too tired to keep working.  Like, I need to go to sleep now so I can get up and get back to work.  I've only been awake 13 hours.

I hate being mildly anemic.  It's the worst.  I'm fighting it by taking iron supplements, because I honestly need them (I've been anemic before and it was just generally terrible), but I'd really like this to be over with.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36509 on: September 06, 2011, 10:37:31 pm »

Hate days like that, but I'm lucky enough that they only come after a week of mild sleep deprivation (just getting 1 to 2 hours less sleep than usual).

As for me, I wish I could sleep more, but today such relief has been nonexistent outside of normal sleeping hours, and even during them. Wanna trade sleep schedules? I absolutely promise that this will not backfire in the long run for you >_________>
Pages: 1 ... 2432 2433 [2434] 2435 2436 ... 8167