Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2408 2409 [2410] 2411 2412 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9440651 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #36135 on: August 30, 2011, 09:32:48 pm »

Thank you parents for fighting while I'm trying to sleep.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36136 on: August 30, 2011, 09:36:13 pm »

@Vector ... Ummm...the cough medicine contains alcohol I believe is the reason they want it...::)

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36137 on: August 30, 2011, 09:36:57 pm »

They didn't want to buy it themselves, that means they were probably going to use it to produce drugs of some sort. Probably meth or something my brother referred to as "purple drink".
My personality profile.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36138 on: August 30, 2011, 09:38:16 pm »

Oh.

Yeah, don't do that again.

The world has more than enough space for a mistake or two.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36139 on: August 30, 2011, 09:40:33 pm »

Is it the sudafed type cough medicine or the codeine type? Both those and alcohol containing ones have been used to get high/make substances before. Purple drink sounds like it could be codeine-based. I've heard of something like that before. Mix alcohol and codeine-based syrup.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36140 on: August 30, 2011, 09:40:57 pm »

@Vector ... Ummm...the cough medicine contains alcohol I believe is the reason they want it...::)
Wait, what?
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36141 on: August 30, 2011, 09:46:59 pm »

You'd be surprise what people will stoop to drinking/ingesting etc if they can't get regular alcohol.

Just googling "Cough Syrup" funny enough gave me all the info on the ways to get high: Purple Drank is the codeine version, and they do mix it with either soda or alcoholic drinks.

Cough syrups with alcohol in them can be as strong as 5-10% eg up to twice as strong as beer. There's even some stuff thats 25% - 40% alcohol !
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 09:52:46 pm by Reelyanoob »

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36142 on: August 30, 2011, 09:51:12 pm »

In my defence, I actually didn't go through with it. I didn't meet them really, I ignored them while my brother decided to talk to them. After my brother told me what they wanted I said "I would have sold it to them for a 50% profit, heh heh heh" or something like that. We then discussed what they wanted it for. I told him meth and he thought it was purple drink. I ignored them again on the way back.

Also, it looks like Wikipedia has an article on that purple drink drug.
My personality profile.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36143 on: August 30, 2011, 09:52:20 pm »

Don't worry about it, then =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36144 on: August 30, 2011, 09:53:29 pm »

Cough suppressants such as robitussen or however it's spelled (on phone) do contain some alcohol, but that's not the main reason for taking it. The active ingredient is DXM, which at high dosages is a powerful pseudo-psychedelic that causes intense hallucinations and disassociation from reality.

It's cheap, trashy, and easy to get so it is often a gateway drug for teenagers. The only problem is that other chemicals in the cough syrup may cause you to vomit and poison you, among other side effects, such as complete disconnect from reality for a period of time and death.

This is a PSA from your local friendly drug expert who has never tried it. See more at wiki, erowid, and 420chan for more info.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:17:23 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36145 on: August 30, 2011, 09:55:32 pm »

Also, it looks like Wikipedia has an article on that purple drink drug.
Thanks called Purple Drank.. Purple Drink redirects to it.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #36146 on: August 30, 2011, 09:56:23 pm »

Wait, what?
NyQuil is 50 proof alcohol. Though if you were to drink it as a recreational drug, you would get all sorts of others things too; they have all sorts of stuff whose effects people drink it for. Painkiller/depressant effects among others. And yeah, if an alcoholic can't get their booze, you had better have hidden the cough syrup really damn well. People are typically smart enough to avoid drinking it unnecessarily, but in the midst of alcohol withdrawal, they'll be off to the medicine cabinet for a quick drink.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36147 on: August 30, 2011, 10:00:16 pm »

See above. It's not for alcohol - you'd have to be a complete dumbass to drink cough syrup for alcoholic content and would kill yourself from poison before you get drunk. It's done for the disassociative effects of DXM.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:17:36 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36148 on: August 30, 2011, 10:06:30 pm »

[STORY]

After a bit in rehab, she told me she wouldn't take my money 'cause she knew she'd just buy drugs with it and she thought I'd get in trouble if she did....

She... was actually trying to protect... me.

God I'm a horrible person sometimes.

Er... actually no. You are in no way a horrible person because you sought to help someone else out. Your motives were good and well-intentioned, regardless of not seeing the whole picture until later. You can't fault yourself for ignorance, and NEVER fault yourself for someone else's weakness. It's not unkind of you to recognize that weakness, and offer others some measure of help, and in fact you've gone above and beyond in this regard.

Fault lies elsewhere, with human brain chemistry, the period of emotional weakness your friend went through, and so on. You meant well, and did well by the whole situation, it sounds like! There will be healing now that she's getting help, and I'm certain she appreciates all that you did.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #36149 on: August 30, 2011, 10:08:47 pm »

Okay, that is true. I ought to have gone further out of my way to specify that this was not one of those times. Not only did you care enough to try and fix this, your actions ultimately did end up with the situation improving. You did right.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 2408 2409 [2410] 2411 2412 ... 8167