Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9471987 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #3585 on: March 22, 2010, 09:25:22 am »

Classes sucked today because my group was made up entirely of passive people who don't speak up, and when asked a question go about thinking of an answer but not coming up with one because they are too shy. Then I learned I have a seven page philosophy paper on truth due tomorrow that I forgot about. Thankfully the paper will be semi-informal, but I do need to brainstorm various truths about the world like "I think, therefore I am" as an example.

Then there are the math tests I have been taking weekly that have been a good 50% average. My father has made it very clear that I need good grades this semester to bring my GPA up to 3.0 to allow me to possibly gain admittance into the University of Maryland for a subject I don't know about yet. And currently the classes suck(Mostly due to my own incompetence in scheduling and getting work done on time thanks to my own procrastination), but I can't tell him that as he'll just give me a 30 minute lecture on nothing that will help me, just him explaining that I need good grades and that there is help available(Which is unavailable as both sources are busy with work), and any attempt to present issues that are actual problems(Said inability to schedule and procrastination) brings no help to the table other than his lectures on why, but not how.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: March 22, 2010, 09:41:16 am »

I failed the stats unit of my Mathematics course. I needed to get 4% more on my coursework.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: March 22, 2010, 12:59:28 pm »

I feel like I could help with some of these problems.
I don't know if I will sound sincere over the internet,
 as I've realized that I don't hold the same sort of charisma as I do in person.

There are a couple of things you need to realize to be happy and sensible.
You can be happy, or you can be sensible, but to be both is a little harder.

The first thing you need to realize is that the majority of people are retarded.
As in most of the last generation, and about half of this one.
The world is overrun with them, and they are in control.
That is why a lot of things don't make sense, because credentials are barely useful.
Qualification means being there are the right time.
Once you accept this reality, things make a lot more sense.

Here comes the important part.
These morons have crafted this system in such a way as to make THEM happy.
It might seem stupid to you, but if you can tap into THAT vein,
 then you can be happy like them, but still stay ahead of the curve.

The secret is, that in a society designed to empower morons,
 things that seem easy are the right way to go about doing things,
 and if you find yourself putting in too much effort,
 then it means you are doing something unnecessary.
If you are trying to change the world, then by all means, keep working hard.
If you would rather live a practical lifestyle,
 then maybe you should change your mind.

The only place actual knowledge matters is in the college community.
Outside of that knowledge means nothing, and pieces of paper mean everything.
The only place it pays to try harder is if you want to be a doctor or a lawyer.
Personally, I don't want to trade away a third of my youth
 in exchange for a high-stress high-paying job.
The benefit of wealth isn't that meaningful to me.

If you stop taking everything so seriously, you will be much happier.
The people in that car with the shade have the right idea.
You might not realize it, but there are millions of them,
 and there has to be some way that they survive, right?
You can be one of them, and you can take advantage of that lifestyle.

The trick is knowing where you are going,
 and when to get out of the car.

The thing is,
if you are not trying to change the world,
then either you are not sensible,
or you're evil,
because a world like that sucks.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #3588 on: March 22, 2010, 01:57:02 pm »

The thing is,
if you are not trying to change the world,
then either you are not sensible,
or you're evil,
because a world like that sucks.

Because changing the world on which you have become dependent is a sensible thing?

I have found a way to thrive in this greasy moldy world.
There is no reason to change it now, even if I could.

Why is it evil to go along with what the majority want?
That is democracy.
If the majority are stupid, then so be it.
I am not about to become a teacher.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: March 22, 2010, 02:01:52 pm »

Basically, I want to get through junior high doing as little work as possible, and then work extremely hard in highschool, when there are advantages. I'm beginning to wonder if maybe there's something wrong with this outlook.

There are people in my class who work hard, get honours, etc., yet I have no idea why. Why are they working hard when there's no payoff? Working hard now won't help them later... why not just work hard when it counts, and coast by lazily when it doesn't?

That's my outlook. Now, I arrived at the above conclusions, which basically means I'm lazy and won't accomplish anything important, yet I'm content with that. That's the problem, see -- I'm depressed about being content with that.

Should I suddenly start working hard?...

The reason why you work hard now is that it makes working hard later one hell of a lot easier (provided that you don't burn out).  I worked one kind of hard through high school, which made my okay-ish grades throughout the first year of college fairly easy to grab--but once I realized what I wanted to do with my life, I discovered that I had to step up to the plate in an entirely different way, and that if I'd tried this out in high school, things would have probably been a lot easier later.

If you're unhappy, you need to find out what makes you happy and do that.  Part of growing up is realizing that you can't do everything.  You can't both work ridiculously hard and slack off, be with others and be alone.  You cannot be a person of both extremes--so you have to make your choices and make your peace.

People work hard for different reasons.  Some are looking for approval; some have odd and idealistic dreams beyond what one might expect.  If you aren't one of those people, then there's no real reason to work that hard.  "Being average" or "a bit above average" will get you far enough.  There's just a question of what you can do, and what you want to do.  Doing what makes you unhappy won't really get you places.  After a certain point, unhappiness starts destroying you.

If you stop taking everything so seriously, you will be much happier.
The people in that car with the shade have the right idea.
You might not realize it, but there are millions of them,
 and there has to be some way that they survive, right?
You can be one of them, and you can take advantage of that lifestyle.

If I stopped living the way I do... well, I'm sorry to say it, but I'd go insane.  I've tried it and it didn't work.  I just grew angry at the emptiness of my life and had to go back to trying hard and running in the desert, for when I stopped that shade which had seemed so appealing lost its comfort.  I'm not like those people, I guess.  I can't survive in the shade.  It isn't my natural habitat.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: March 22, 2010, 02:15:45 pm »

Orange, do you realize how maddeningly much suffering and death and cruelty and general evil is going on on this planet every second of every day? Standing idly and letting horrible things happen when you could have done something abaut them is morally equivalent of doing them with your own hands.  Everything that you are not to  the best of your ability trying to stop, you are partially responsible for.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: March 22, 2010, 02:33:37 pm »

Yeah the problem being that I'm like 16 years old if that makes sense.

Well anyway, feeling better today.  I just got back from staying after school, which I do everyday I don't go volunteer.  I was able to do a math test I didn't know the equations for by working out what they would be.

I wonder if I got it right.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3592 on: March 22, 2010, 02:52:02 pm »

Ugh... looked at my Spanish test, mind blanked. I can't stand this class, I don't get it, and I can't see why I even have to take it. Not to mention I give it 10-20 years max before universal translators are perfected.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3593 on: March 23, 2010, 01:13:39 am »

Shoes...

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3594 on: March 23, 2010, 01:31:34 am »

If you're unhappy, you need to find out what makes you happy and do that.

This is pretty much a one-sentence guide to life.

Nolor, if you're in middleschool and you're asking these questions, you're probably smart enough that you can deliver when the pressure's on. Until then, just have some fun, you're young, prioritize your goals and don't loose sight of them. Being a lazy ass in middleschool, and middleschool in general, is largely irrelevant to the rest of your life, so don't invest time in brooding over it.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: March 23, 2010, 01:42:10 am »

Orange, do you realize how maddeningly much suffering and death and cruelty and general evil is going on on this planet every second of every day? Standing idly and letting horrible things happen when you could have done something abaut them is morally equivalent of doing them with your own hands.  Everything that you are not to  the best of your ability trying to stop, you are partially responsible for.

Don't preach until you've:
a) Seen sunlight in the last 24 hours.
b) Moved into your own home.
c) Donated (with your own earned money), and/or, joined the cause of something to benefit others, or, stopped a crime from happening.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3596 on: March 23, 2010, 09:13:52 am »

Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: March 23, 2010, 09:22:23 am »

Tack, your argument is fallacious.

Quite right for points a and b.

Point c included a do as you preach clause. So how much pain and suffering have you stopped?
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3598 on: March 23, 2010, 09:42:02 am »

I never claimed *I* were not evil, or even that you shuldnt be evil, just that if you do/don't do X you are so.

Seiusly thou. I am curently not in any shape to influence anything in any direction really. But I *do* spend ass much time as posible studying so that I might in the future work with something importnant such as reduction of existential risks, and I try to never ever spend money absolutely necesery, wich is as far as I can tell a fraction of what othes of my age and economical situation tend to do, instead saving in case something happens where it really matters.
So... The answer to your quesion is school that dominates the mayority of my life when I could probably ahve glided by chosing simpler subjects and become something useless, and not spending money althou I havn't donated most of it *yet* due to estimation that it might grow and thus make more donations in total that way.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: March 23, 2010, 09:51:21 am »

I am so goddamn tired.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 238 239 [240] 241 242 ... 8167