Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2364 2365 [2366] 2367 2368 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9447394 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35475 on: August 18, 2011, 01:11:02 am »

What I'm saying is that just because you are a pacifist, doesn't mean you're hating on all the people who want to defend their country.

You need to learn how to read statements.

What do you mean? You said that you didn't want to seem to be offensive because you were renewed in your pacifism. I replied that that wouldn't seem to be offensive anyway.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35476 on: August 18, 2011, 01:11:55 am »

I read about a child being beaten to death over several hours by her own adoptive parents in the progressive rage thread. It made me sick, literally. Its this sort of shit that helped lead to my depression. I honestly wish I could become more detached from the world around me, as bad as that sounds.
My personality profile.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35477 on: August 18, 2011, 01:12:13 am »

People arguing over pacifism made me sad
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35478 on: August 18, 2011, 01:17:07 am »

People arguing over pacifism made me sad
This. Also, the pain in my head has been replaced with a very unpleasant warmth.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35479 on: August 18, 2011, 01:27:01 am »

I read about a child being beaten to death over several hours by her own adoptive parents in the progressive rage thread. It made me sick, literally. Its this sort of shit that helped lead to my depression. I honestly wish I could become more detached from the world around me, as bad as that sounds.

There's 7+ billion people in the world and they are having every possible experience right now from the happiest to the saddest. The broadcast media highlights the saddest tales from around the world in realtime. You can be reading nothing but sad tales continuously if you want to.

Part of the problem is we evolved to live in fairly small close knit family groups of maybe 40-200 people, where you knew everyone and could influence things that you knew were going on. This is what our empathy / social wiring is built to cope with. With worldwide mass media and especially the internet you can know about many things which you can do nothing about, leaving you with the knowledge but no power to affect what you've heard about. This could leave you with a feeling of helplessness.

This would be a case where an adaptive trait (high empathy) becomes maladaptive due to a change in the environment (knowledge of all the problems in the world).

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35480 on: August 18, 2011, 01:31:01 am »

Ah, well... I meant because he specifically said things about people saying "But now you don't have to kill dudes, now!"

Apparently I need to learn to read statements.

I walked on the beaches of Normandy and through the fortifications when I was thirteen years old, and trees grow there now.  I've stood before the eternal flame at Arlington and cried by the Vietnam war memorial.  I've marched in peace protests through the streets of San Francisco, hundreds of thousands strong, as we sang the songs my newborn self first heard as lullabies.  I've listened to survivors on one side talk about stealing horses and gallivanting through Europe, and survivors on the other side about lying down in the field, covering themselves with straw, trembling and hoping they wouldn't die, as "our people" shot at them.  I've seen the rations doled out to the besieged in Leningrad.  I've read the condemnations of mathematicians, who would not waste the time to begin a family, but found the time to promulgate a refusal of war.  I was told at five how to dodge the draft, or, at the least, become a medic rather than hurt any man.

And yet, amid all this, I never imagined something quite so horrible.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #35481 on: August 18, 2011, 01:38:30 am »

While I can logically understand and agree to pacifism in my head, my heart and my very being tells me that war brings forth both the best and the worst in man. I will never feel right saying war is wrong, as I feel that would invalidate the people who have died fighting.

People can think of me as they wish for saying this.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35482 on: August 18, 2011, 01:40:12 am »

As for Just War, at least in the WWII context (the most common cited Just War of modern days) ... the wealthy elite of USA funded the Nazi's and Japanese war machines, even as atrocities were being carried out.

It's the working class of both sides who are asked to sacrifice financially, sacrifice their lives and liberty, while the guys who profited on building up those enemies demand more profits or they won't lift a finger to help in the war.

Japan : Rape of Nanking etc: USA happy to keep funding war in China. peaceful occupation of Vietnam by the Japanese, at the invite of the French Colonials, was written up in the US press as a violent invasion (outright lying). It was only when the Japanese threatened US nationalist supremacy in the pacific that the USA suddenly started to care. Mass Murder in China was OK because we decided that was Japans allowable "Zone of Influence"
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:43:23 am by Reelyanoob »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35483 on: August 18, 2011, 01:41:38 am »

We invented gas chambers to use on our own mentally ill, and created the seeds of eugenicism that the Nazis took as their reference point and model.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35484 on: August 18, 2011, 01:45:50 am »

As for Just War, at least in the WWII context (the most common cited Just War of modern days) ... the wealthy elite of USA funded the Nazi's and Japanese war machines, even as atrocities were being carried out.

On the other hand, it wasn't completely unreasonable to consider the atrocities to be Allied propaganda back then...

On to other things, I've recently realized that most of my childhood friends have gotten mentally unwell in one way or another. Is that the influence I have on people, or is it something else that'll make me mentally unwell as well?
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35485 on: August 18, 2011, 01:55:02 am »

The Carnegie company funded the beginning of the Holocaust.  Intentionally.  "For the betterment of the human race."

Not just the war machines.  The Holocaust.

On to other things, I've recently realized that most of my childhood friends have gotten mentally unwell in one way or another. Is that the influence I have on people, or is it something else that'll make me mentally unwell as well?

I wouldn't give yourself the credit of driving others insane, and I wouldn't assume it was catching, either.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35486 on: August 18, 2011, 01:59:16 am »

I wouldn't give yourself the credit of driving others insane, and I wouldn't assume it was catching, either.

Funnily enough, the neighborhood we grew up in is a calm, family-friendly area. The concentration I've got around me is... odd.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35487 on: August 18, 2011, 02:09:07 am »

There's 7+ billion people in the world and they are having every possible experience right now from the happiest to the saddest. The broadcast media highlights the saddest tales from around the world in realtime. You can be reading nothing but sad tales continuously if you want to.

Part of the problem is we evolved to live in fairly small close knit family groups of maybe 40-200 people, where you knew everyone and could influence things that you knew were going on. This is what our empathy / social wiring is built to cope with. With worldwide mass media and especially the internet you can know about many things which you can do nothing about, leaving you with the knowledge but no power to affect what you've heard about. This could leave you with a feeling of helplessness.

This would be a case where an adaptive trait (high empathy) becomes maladaptive due to a change in the environment (knowledge of all the problems in the world).

Yes, I know, but that doesn't change how I feel unfortunately. I usually manage to distance myself emotionally better but lack of sleep lowers my self control.

On the subject of war. War is the result of failure. That sums up my opinion on the subject.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 02:16:54 am by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #35488 on: August 18, 2011, 03:22:50 am »

I just realised something.

God loves me.

God loves me.

I've never felt so worthless before in my life.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35489 on: August 18, 2011, 03:24:14 am »

I just realised something.

God loves me.

God loves me.

I've never felt so worthless before in my life.
I'm not a religious person but you'll have to explain to me how that could possibly be a bad thing.
If I had that sort of thought, I'd probably be pretty happy about it.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.
Pages: 1 ... 2364 2365 [2366] 2367 2368 ... 8167