Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2362 2363 [2364] 2365 2366 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9448109 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #35445 on: August 17, 2011, 08:32:43 pm »

You know, I get a ridiculous percentage discount on textbooks for summer work at the bookstore. You can always look into that to both earn a bit of spare cash, and help cut the cost a bit. Also, I can conceivably snag a few textbooks using my discount, provided my university was using the same texts, or could order them.

I used to work in a textbook warehouse. Got a great discount on my college textbooks, but it wasn't worth it for the long-term damage to my back.

I've been thinking about the whole "don't date people with problems" thing and it's been making me a tad bit depressed.

Hurray for cyclic narratives.
Dating people with problems isn't a problem. We all have problems and should learn to love ourselves and others for it while improving our conditions. :) But expecting to jump in and fix their problems for them and have them emotionally rely on only you is a problem though.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35446 on: August 17, 2011, 08:36:50 pm »

All right.

I can attest to that last one, because I'm the partial product of someone blatantly taking advantage of such a strategy.

... Actually, I'm pretty cool for a person who's been so fucked with in a multitude of ways.  I think I'll be proud of myself for a little while.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35447 on: August 17, 2011, 08:39:23 pm »

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35448 on: August 17, 2011, 08:43:41 pm »

Kael pretty much hit what I was going to say dead on. Problems are universal, and I don't think anyone would be able to date if the literal rule was to not date anyone facing problems, nor to avoid helping others overcome them. It's just wise to realize that it's a bad idea to date someone purely for the sake of helping them, being their counselor, or worse trying to direct their life.

And also, don't apply too much brokenness to yourself. You've not got a monopoly on self-improvement challenges, but rather are a pretty capable and put-together person. Respect those achievements and skills!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35449 on: August 17, 2011, 08:44:57 pm »

Oh, I'm not broken.  I'm flawed, but not broken in the least.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35450 on: August 17, 2011, 08:53:19 pm »

I used to work in a textbook warehouse. Got a great discount on my college textbooks, but it wasn't worth it for the long-term damage to my back.

Yeah, I am a bit concerned that my current line of work (not the Uni Bookstore, I'm just a sales monkey there) is going to result in permanent back damage, but I'm taking care to avoid straining it too hard. My family have a history of joint problems, and my father messed up his back doing heavy lifting when he was my age. I've already screwed up something in my back during a car accident over a year ago, and it's still not entirely healed... I get flares of pain when I stretch or bend in certain ways.

Just gotta stick it out through the probationary period (or possibly until I find something better), and I can start working in a different capacity.

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35451 on: August 17, 2011, 09:05:19 pm »

I didn't get anything important done today :(. My computer is a double edged sword. So useful but so easy to get distracted for hours at a time with. I need to work on my resolve and not give into tempt oh hey look at that shiny thing.
My personality profile.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35452 on: August 17, 2011, 09:05:58 pm »

Dammit, stupid KaelNinja.

Also, bleh. I hate myself. To be more precise, I hate a specific part of myself. My emotional responses and instincts are just absolutely fucked from a moral standpoint. I know I'm not bound to obey those. I mean, I am a human, it's kind of awesome that I have some capacity to say, "No, fuck you brain, I'm going to be not an asshat today." But that doesn't change that it really sucks to have to constantly remind myself how to avoid hurting people. My instincts tell me I should expect sex from being nice to girls, they tell me that eugenics sure sounds reasonable, they tell me that homosexuality is disgusting, they tell me that I'm better than anyone else and anybody who happens to do better than me at anything just got lucky, they tell me that it's okay to hurt people to get what I want, and just... bleh. Complete selfishness and hatred of anything that doesn't fit in with some arbitrarily defined category of "pleasant" that just happens to be the most reactionary and xenophobic piece of garbage imaginable.

I get that I don't have to be perfect, I don't even really have to be good. I just wish it weren't so frustrating to make myself be a decent human being, and I wish there weren't so much wrong with me that needed fixing. And more importantly, I wish I weren't so melodramatic about the whole thing, I mean really.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Scaraban

• Bay Watcher
  • One Crazy Ass Giant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35453 on: August 17, 2011, 09:09:22 pm »

You seem to have a lot of disconnect between your conscious mind and the things designed to shape it.
It's a long way to the top if you want dank memes.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35454 on: August 17, 2011, 09:14:55 pm »

That is because, as described above, my conscious mind is the only thing I can ever trust to make acceptable decisions. Everything else is basically "LET'S PROVE RIGHT FREUD'S THEORIES ABOUT THE ID"
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35455 on: August 17, 2011, 09:25:47 pm »

Starting to get weighed down by tons of menial problems; many of which are cyclical, and thinking about it just adds to it.
I'd like to just curl up with some good literature for a few hours. A few days.
One day back, and I've already lost all hope of things being better.
*sigh*

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35456 on: August 17, 2011, 09:28:20 pm »

That is because, as described above, my conscious mind is the only thing I can ever trust to make acceptable decisions. Everything else is basically "LET'S PROVE RIGHT FREUD'S THEORIES ABOUT THE ID"
Well Baugie you are describing the id portion of the human mind pretty word for word here. We all have a piece of that pie broiling about in our innards.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35457 on: August 17, 2011, 10:52:11 pm »

My job will likely leave my back damaged or my knees. Most of the people who have been doing it a long time suffer in some way.

The last couple of pages of this topic made me sad and made me a little happier due to relating to sad posts and being cheered up indirectly by the support respectively. I really need to sort my life out :(.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #35458 on: August 17, 2011, 11:25:48 pm »

'You fool, Warren is dead". I read this line as an object fell and produced a sudden noise in the deep of the night. Startled me
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35459 on: August 17, 2011, 11:33:57 pm »

You've got to love yourself before you can truly love others.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, too bad then.
I won't be able to love myself, until I get loved/appreciated by others.
Pages: 1 ... 2362 2363 [2364] 2365 2366 ... 8167