Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2332 2333 [2334] 2335 2336 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9451711 times)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #34995 on: August 12, 2011, 08:43:31 pm »

Mentioning my dwindling faith in God to Christian friends made me sad recently :/  I know they have good intentions in trying to convince me to believe again, but I really don't want to believe in God again.  It's nice to think my own thoughts without worrying which thoughts will lead to sinful behavior.  Yes, mainstream Christianity encourages people to become their own thought police o_O  There's even a differentiation between sinful and godly thinking, to the point that many of my friends believe (although they wouldn't put it this way) that if certain points of theology make no sense to you, then you are thinking "with the flesh" instead of "with the spirit."  And yes I used to believe that too.

It's so weird how I can look at Christian theology objectively now and see how spooky some of it is.

Well, that part of theology is wrong. I've heard the thing before. Typically, you also hear people saying 'You have a body, you are a soul'. It goes against another of the doctrines, that of the bodily resurrection.

I hate to say this, but you're just reinforcing something.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34996 on: August 12, 2011, 08:45:14 pm »

Euld, tell those who do talk like that that they're basically endorsing Docetism, which means also that there is no reason for them to believe in salvation from sin. Also, they are endorsing Pelagianism as well, which basically means that there is no need to worry about 'thinking with the flesh' anyway.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #34997 on: August 12, 2011, 08:52:42 pm »

Feh.  Giving me crap about using "du" instead of "sie" with him.  What absurdity... we're Amurricans, gorrammit!
Hm. Can't you just, oh I don't know... Block him?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34998 on: August 12, 2011, 08:54:05 pm »

Feh.  Giving me crap about using "du" instead of "sie" with him.  What absurdity... we're Amurricans, gorrammit!
You're kidding. Someone who's been hostile with you is demanding you use the formal? Just block him, that sounds like narcissistic behavior.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34999 on: August 12, 2011, 08:56:32 pm »

He wasn't being hostile.  It was a joke.

But yeah, I'm considering defriending him.  Just a bit sad because, you know, math department blah blah.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35000 on: August 12, 2011, 08:58:07 pm »

Euld, tell those who do talk like that that they're basically endorsing Docetism, which means also that there is no reason for them to believe in salvation from sin. Also, they are endorsing Pelagianism as well, which basically means that there is no need to worry about 'thinking with the flesh' anyway.
I'll agree with the assertion that they are endorsing Pelagianism, but Docetism is a little far removed from the general Evangelical stance on what happens with the body.

I'm also going to take a wild stab in the dark and guess that you're either Anglican, or have read NT Wright/people who have been influenced by him.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 08:59:58 pm by Willfor »
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35001 on: August 12, 2011, 08:59:41 pm »

It does sound like they're disputing the goodness of any body, which was the reasoning behind Docetism.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35002 on: August 12, 2011, 09:01:24 pm »

What a nineball. Everyone knows that the best way to flirt over Facebook typically involves the exact opposite of calling that person retarded, by which I mean complimenting this person when it's relevant (but not when it isn't) and not calling anybody retarded. Because not only does that show a tremendous lack of respect for people other than the intended target of the insult, it also shows an unfortunate lack of creativity*, and really, you need all the help you can get if you're going to try and hit on someone over Facebook with no indication that this is desirable behavior.

*I'm well aware of the hypocrisy inherent in calling someone a nineball and then complaining about creativity, but fortunately I'm not trying to hit on anybody here so there's no call to be impressive.

EDIT: Well, that it wasn't hostile helps to some extent, but I think what I just typed out is still valid. Perhaps. Although, since I don't know the specifics, the part about desirable behavior might not be applicable, but oh well, it doesn't flow right if I delete it.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35003 on: August 12, 2011, 09:02:32 pm »

Hehehehe

Yeah, he is a bit of a nineball, huh?

Come to think of it, maybe I'll play some more Touhou tonight.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #35004 on: August 12, 2011, 09:02:39 pm »

He wasn't being hostile.  It was a joke.

But yeah, I'm considering defriending him.  Just a bit sad because, you know, math department blah blah.
"Defriending" as a verb...

ARRRRGH

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35005 on: August 12, 2011, 09:03:30 pm »

It does sound like they're disputing the goodness of any body, which was the reasoning behind Docetism.

I've heard it to the effect that they would believe that Jesus' sacrifice was only meaningful if his body wasn't an illusion because then the temptations wouldn't be present. Then he wouldn't have become a perfect example of how to live your life, if he had not also taken on all of the crap we have to go through on a daily basis. That's the gist of the more Evangelical view, IIRC.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35006 on: August 12, 2011, 09:04:55 pm »

It's stupid social media.  I'd never use that word in context of an actual relationship with a human being.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35007 on: August 12, 2011, 09:05:37 pm »

"Defriending" as a verb...

ARRRRGH
Yeah.  I mean we all know it's defriendificate, how hard is it to get that right??

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35008 on: August 12, 2011, 09:06:13 pm »

Oh, okay. That does make a lot more sense.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35009 on: August 12, 2011, 09:14:10 pm »

Yup.

Hahaha "I don't know you, use Sie"

That just makes me have even less desire to be polite.

Pages: 1 ... 2332 2333 [2334] 2335 2336 ... 8167