Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2308 2309 [2310] 2311 2312 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9442060 times)

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #34635 on: August 09, 2011, 10:51:19 am »

Spend the last 4 hours with heightened heart rate and massive attacks of anxiety, whenever I heard a sound outside of my room. Not to mention that I've been running to the bathroom all the time like a nervous puppy.

Going to dinner extra early, so I don't encounter anyone.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34636 on: August 09, 2011, 11:36:42 am »

Anyway, I guess what I'm saying is you shouldn't be bothered by it because in ten years there will be even more mind-blowing shit.
That doesn't comfort me. I can imagine my (then) teenage daughter rolling her eyes as she says, "Dad! Did you mess up the calibration on the suborbital Q-porter AGAIN? I have to be to school halfway around the planet in TEN MINUTES! I swear, it's not rocket science....wo fashi, wo de shou yang..."  ::)

Odd...I guess I picture the future as an episode of Firefly.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34637 on: August 09, 2011, 11:38:46 am »

I'm talking about you and the generation right below it.  Not the kids that grow up on it.  :P

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #34638 on: August 09, 2011, 11:47:37 am »

This is utterly trivial compared to every other problem in this thread, but it saddens me that I will never own any of these, unless I'm out walking one day and stumble into a giant pile of cash that doesn't belong to anyone.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Plank of Wood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34639 on: August 09, 2011, 11:48:13 am »

People are buying up weapons, This makes me very sad.

London people, be prepared and stay safe.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 11:51:21 am by Plank of Wood »
The science of burning innocent children could be perfected into clockwork.
They're like little bearded corals.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #34640 on: August 09, 2011, 11:53:29 am »

Sadness caused by me vastly oversleeping and running the schedule I'm trying to set up for my holiday.

You get fined for not filling out the census?
We are supposed to in the UK but I don't know anyone who's ever been fined. There are a large number of people who see it as an intrusion and rebel against it by not filling it in. Then again they sent people round my dad's place asking if he'd sent his in yet after being a week or so late.

I'm sad because I'm starting to realize how my grandparents must have felt about "modern" technology like VCRs and microwaves. Especially for a guy who works in technology, it's kinda unforgiveable how astounded I am by more and more gadgets these days, and not just the kind of surveillance gear and such for work. My wife borrowed an iPad the other day, and I was showing Google Earth to my 4-year-old on it. I started with it zoomed all the way out to show the entire Earth, then just by "pushing apart" the screen with two fingers, was able to zoom down to see cars parked on our street (the house has too much tree cover to be seen in summer shots). She just shrugged and said, "Huh. That's pretty cool." I think she was disappointed it wasn't real-time.
Funnily enough my 40+ dad was disappointed it wasn't real time when I showed him Google Earth on my PC. He's almost a technophobe, ignoring his TV; DVD player; VCR; and Sound System, but his new home isn't on the map as it was a recent build and he wasn't pleased. This was because many films lead him to believe technology was more advanced and had been rolled out further than in reality.

Similar occurred with another family member who again is more than twice my age. The disapointment this time was caused when they found out there was no such things as Star Trek style force fields or Anti-gravity chambers. Too much Sci-Fi perhaps?

The most depressing moment was trying my nieces' Wii last christmas (Mario Galaxy 2, which I bought for them). I was ace at super mario on the NES, but I really struggled with this thing. The little kids are naturals at it though.
I don't know, while my Super Mario World platforming skills are unreal I am unable to cope with Super Mario Bros 3's physics.  It could just be the game.
The galaxy games are a little strange and more so if you've not played a 3D mario game before. I remember getting my N64 with Mario64 and it took me a long while to get used to things. The Mario Galaxy games are worth getting used to as they are some of my favourite platforming games right now, though, the story is a bit annoying and I wish cut-scenes were skipable.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34641 on: August 09, 2011, 01:35:06 pm »

Well, looks like somebody's getting sued. And from what I've heard about the district, it's too corrupt for her to get the charges dropped or an acquittal.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34642 on: August 09, 2011, 01:57:08 pm »

Two hours bus ride through unbearably muggy weather to a campus which is going through server migration so no financial work can be done 'till Thursday. Another two hour ride back was about to start when my back decided to go all revolutionary; "Fuck these American seats!" And now Ill have to deal with my dad, who was very insistent that I should finish all my college registration junk today.

Bluh.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34643 on: August 09, 2011, 02:10:54 pm »

I've been thinking of taking meds to help me focus. I really hate the idea of that though. When I was taking Ritalin for ADHD it eventually gave me tics, or so they say, not to mention the change in my personality. I dunno, things would be so much easier if I just took the easy route for once :(.
My personality profile.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34644 on: August 09, 2011, 02:12:37 pm »

I went for almost a year with next to no problems and now my tourettes tics are bad again. Breathing tics, swalling tics, etc etc

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34645 on: August 09, 2011, 02:13:13 pm »

It's a veritable creep-fest around those eager to spout their views on rape in Vector's PRT. Guys have no idea how fucking creepy they are.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34646 on: August 09, 2011, 02:14:57 pm »

I've been thinking of taking meds to help me focus. I really hate the idea of that though. When I was taking Ritalin for ADHD it eventually gave me tics, or so they say, not to mention the change in my personality. I dunno, things would be so much easier if I just took the easy route for once :(.
Well, this trip taught me that my pills aren't as 'magic' as I thought they would be.
They only help with the most basic stuff. Anything more complicated is still hell.
So yeah, there's no easy way with some issues.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34647 on: August 09, 2011, 02:16:40 pm »

I've have pills for ADHD and I've found they've gotten less and less effective over time.

Honestly, they don't do much more than a caffeine high anymore.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34648 on: August 09, 2011, 02:17:38 pm »

I take a pill every night for my 100% legit disorder and I would be suffering without it.

Other stuff I've taken pills for is hit or miss.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #34649 on: August 09, 2011, 02:19:06 pm »

They're not supposed to provide a high (even through the ones that are derived from amphetamines do. There are alternatives, though). Their purpose is to stimulate parts of the brain that are underoperative in ADHD sufferers. Feeling high (or, conversely, nervous, or being unable to sleep) is a side-effect.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 2308 2309 [2310] 2311 2312 ... 8167