Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2206 2207 [2208] 2209 2210 ... 8167

Author Topic: Things that made you sad today thread.  (Read 9459401 times)

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you sad today thread.
« Reply #33105 on: July 17, 2011, 03:48:13 pm »

And that image is always soprano

Our vocal ensemble is always short of altos. You could come with us. :3
Also often called Boowells.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #33106 on: July 17, 2011, 03:56:49 pm »

Politics and or philosophy in the sad thread in the sad thread is making me sad o_O

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33107 on: July 17, 2011, 04:38:23 pm »

Wow... They really think a guy having his cock cut off is funny? Jesus...
Just the same way some guys think rape jokes are funny. It's the flipside of the coin. I really don't see what all the fuss and griping of "Baaaw! Feminists!" is about.
Not quite the same in this context.
It's about a real incident and on a public medium.

Now switch out the sides. Doesn't quite work, does it?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33108 on: July 17, 2011, 04:52:00 pm »

Yeah, I've never seen a talk show with a bunch of men laughing and joking about a woman getting raped.
*Hugs*

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #33109 on: July 17, 2011, 05:03:21 pm »

Actually, it does. Instead of dumb baboons making misogynistic jokes, you have dumb bimbos making mysandrist jokes.
And such jokes can only come about if there is someone grievously harmed. You know, "Unless it happens to you and yours, it's funny.".
The fact that the baboon troops have been weeded out from TV stations by now is another matter entirely. They're gone because stations realized that having them on the air results in deluges of lawsuits and damage payments.
The bimbo brigades are still alive and well because stations think that it adds some kind of fresh flavor to the program, and is somehow actually funny. The moment they'll be made to equate putting something like this on air with its flipside, then we'll all be better off.

What ticks me off is the deluge of Youtube comments that label those women as "feminists".

Also, the fact that it's about a real incident and on a public medium is the reason I brought up the idea of a lawsuit. People need to learn that the right to free speech also carries the responsibility of knowing when to keep your mouth shut.

The first step is getting these kinds of things off the air, and making stations realize that these are no different than dudes coming in to talk and giggle about female abuse victims' ordeals. It's the stations' fault that they happily air idiots, not the idiots' fault that they're idiots.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33110 on: July 17, 2011, 05:22:59 pm »

What ticks me off is the deluge of Youtube comments that label those women as "feminists".
Well, most of the comments come from 4chan right now. It's being spread across all boards.
I wouldn't take it for face value. They are just in there to troll.

I was just shocked to see something like this on a talkshow.
We have them too here, but it's mostly banal stuff, from pitiful people.

And yet, there are public figures (well I recognize one of them, I assume the rest of them is of significance too) openly telling disgusting jokes about this barbaric act for everybody to see/hear.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 05:25:22 pm by Mindmaker »

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33111 on: July 17, 2011, 05:33:01 pm »

This was a case of running off at the mouth on behalf of the show's hosts/guests. And it is the kind of thing that limitations on freedom of speech are built to guard against.
The fact that some people do dismiss them as harmless because the injured party is male is just as bad as the cases in which the injured party is female, and to which public opinion is reacting fairly quickly now. But stations need to have this drilled into their heads, and either explicitly tell staff not to be idiots on the air, or fire them if they are and issue an apology. (Which is always cheaper than court.)

This has another effect: if models for such behavior disappear from the public eye, then the behavior is less likely to be emulated by individuals in private, and more likely to be frowned upon by others in social settings.
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33112 on: July 17, 2011, 05:40:40 pm »

Yeah, that's gross.  Not following the link because, again... it's gross.

There's still plenty about dudes joking about raping women on the air, though.  Not trying to take force away from what happened, but I'll say that it's still happening enough that I wouldn't call it "stopped."

As far as the feminine touch thing goes, I want to thank you guys.  Somehow, I already feel a lot more confident, because if it's an acquired skill... why, then, by golly I'm going to acquire it!  Hehehe.  I'll do my best to acquire my own "aesthetic," and not worry so much about everyone else.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Grimshot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33113 on: July 17, 2011, 05:42:21 pm »

Fuckin tasteless.
First part of the video is commentary.

Wow, thats really horrible. I can understand offensive jokes but when you drag real people or victims into it you've went to far.

-EDIT-

I should add that its 100 degrees here. Feels bad man.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 05:44:15 pm by Grimshot »
My personality profile.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #33114 on: July 17, 2011, 05:51:35 pm »

although man-on-woman rape jokes are still too common, they're generally frowned upon much more than man on man rape jokes, which are still made regularly on the media, and generally, blatant misandry is much more accepted in mainstream media than blatant misogyny... i'd guess that it's partially justified by the fact that women are still the main victims of rape and generally the oppressed gender

there's also a line that separates making a generic rape joke, and making fun of a rape victim(or in this case, mutilation). the former is in terrible taste, the second should be criminal

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33115 on: July 17, 2011, 05:55:49 pm »

I can't really say if that's happening Vector, I'm not really a fan of these kind of shows, but I really don't want to hear either of those.
It makes one feel sick.

I'm feeling bad for being a man right now. Because when bad things happen to me I "probably deserved it" or everybody will assume all my doings are "sexually motivated".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33116 on: July 17, 2011, 05:59:30 pm »

although man-on-woman rape jokes are still too common, they're generally frowned upon much more than man on man rape jokes, which are still made regularly on the media, and generally, blatant misandry is much more accepted in mainstream media than blatant misogyny... i'd guess that it's partially justified by the fact that women are still the main victims of rape and generally the oppressed gender

there's also a line that separates making a generic rape joke, and making fun of a rape victim(or in this case, mutilation). the former is in terrible taste, the second should be criminal

Yeah, I generally agree with this.  I think that "underground" misogyny is far, far more prevalent than "underground" misandry, still, but there's been a nasty change in the blatant stuff that makes me vaguely sick--partially because it's just plain gross, and partially because I feel like it's often used to ridicule those "man-hating feminists."

Anyway, yeah, that's generally disgusting.  As-is the male-on-male rape jokes, which are... eh, I don't even know what to say.  It's just all gross.

I can't really say if that's happening Vector, I'm not really a fan of these kind of shows, but I really don't want to hear either of those.
It makes one feel sick.

Yeah, but in any case I think/hope that both instances are pretty rare.  I'm not a fan, either, I just happen to hear it once in a while.

Anyway... yeah, blech.  I think we can all agree to that one.

I'm feeling bad for being a man right now. Because when bad things happen to me I "probably deserved it" or everybody will assume all my doings are "sexually motivated".

Don't feel bad for being a man.  Please don't, really.  You don't deserve bad things happening to you, and their assumptions are wrong.  You're really the main person who should be passing judgment on yourself, so please... have faith, cuz I think you're a pretty great guy.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33117 on: July 17, 2011, 06:05:30 pm »

Wow... They really think a guy having his cock cut off is funny? Jesus...

Just the same way some guys think rape jokes are funny. It's the flipside of the coin. I really don't see what all the fuss and griping of "Baaaw! Feminists!" is about.
Not really. That's the flipside of a different coin. She cut of his penis and they laughed about it. The flipside of that coin is a guy cutting out a woman's womb.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33118 on: July 17, 2011, 06:06:40 pm »

I'd say something more like cutting off a breast, frankly, because cutting out the womb is a much more invasive procedure.  You know--it's inside the body, rather than outside of it.

That's just me, though.

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33119 on: July 17, 2011, 06:08:27 pm »

Not really, guys. The reason we make nasty jokes about imaginary subjects is that we want to make the joke, mean as it is, but target it in a way that has no social stigma. So we make a virtual target for a joke. The end result is the same, making fun of someone's ordeal.
But no one cares about a made-up target, right?

Male on male rape jokes I'll admit to not having heard, but that's because rabid Orthodox country.

Blatant misandry simply hasn't gotten "old" yet, so it's still added in by big networks.

But justifying it like that is the beginning of a slippery slope. It boils down to women being justified in calling men pigs because they are treated badly.
So while I understand what you're saying, the apparitions of misandry on stations as some form of "compensation" for the misogynistic messages that were widespread until fairly recently is a problem that needs to be nipped before it spirals beyond control.
If we want gender equality and eliminate these kinds of stuff, we have to work from both directions constantly.

Lastly, the damage done is emotional, not physical, so it can't really constitute a criminal offense.

@Breadblocks.
...which is actually a substitute for rape, psycho-pathologically speaking. You're taking things a bit too literally.
Pages: 1 ... 2206 2207 [2208] 2209 2210 ... 8167